Search Unity

Using multiple timelines and seem to have overwritten everything - please help!

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by dwxrdwxr, Apr 26, 2020.

1. dwxrdwxr

dwxrdwxr

Hi all,

I'm making an animated film in Unity (v2019.3.7f1) and I have been using Timeline and Cinemachine to animate my cameras and actions. I have been using separate Scenes for each movie scene/shot, and I was typically duplicating a scene in Project, so that I didn't have to set up the Camera and Timeline/Cinemachine assets for each new Scene, and then opening the duplicated scene and changing things in it as necessary.

So basically, I had about a dozen different Unity Scenes in my project, each with different environments, objects etc, and different camera movements with a bunch of Cinemachine virtual cameras. In each Scene, I had a Timeline game object, and all of the camera movements and animation tracks were on the Timeline.

Everything seemed to be working well, and it was as good a workflow as I knew how to do for filmmaking in Unity.

Then, something really annoying, potentially terrible and certainly confusing just happened.

I was in one Scene (let's call it Scene B) editing things on the Timeline, and then I opened another Scene (we'll call it Scene A), to copy some objects across from Scene A into my current Scene B. When I looked at the Timeline in Scene A, it no longer had any of the camera or animation tracks that I had made for Scene A and that were there when I last left Scene A. Instead, the Timeline in Scene A now exactly resembled my new Scene B Timeline.

Essentially, it seems to me that I have somehow "over-written" Scene A's timeline, while I was in Scene B editing the Timeline in Scene B. And not just that - Scene B (or the most recent Scene I was working on) appears to have over-written EVERY scene's timeline. So out of the 12 or so Scenes I had, all with their own intricate timelines, they now all resemble the last one I was working on. So I seem to have lost all the other scene's individual unique Timelines and camera animations.

I don't understand how I managed to do this. It had worked fine for the last week, with me duplicating Scenes and Timelines and editing and changing timelines in certain scenes, and then those changes would stay in that Scene, and if I went into another Scene, made edits to that Timeline, I could return to the other Scenes and they would maintain their timelines too.

Of course I tried "Undo" as soon as I realised what had happened, but there weren't enough "Undo"s to actually go back and undo it!

I am relatively new to using Timeline and Cinemachine in Unity - and obviously I have made some kind of mistake here.

Can anyone help explain what I've done wrong here - and if there is any way to retrieve the old Timelines? Perhaps I've just clicked something without realising it and all it will take is a simple click to view them again?

If there's no way to fix this - I'd really appreciate any explanation or advice on how best to use multiple Timelines in a project in different scenes, without this happening to me again!

Thanks - appreciate any help!

BeefyMcWhatnow likes this.
  2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

A Timeline is an asset, like an animator controller, or an animation clip. Multiple PlayableDirectors can reference the same Timeline, and provide a different set of bindings. If you are trying to copy a timeline, make sure to copy the timeline asset (in the project window), not the playable director. If you copy the PlayableDirector, they will share the timeline asset and edits to one will affect the other.

It would be the same as playing the same animation clip on multiple characters - modifying the animation clip will affect both characters.

This is the piece that catches a lot of users off guard because it's different than other cinema authoring tools in Unity.

BeefyMcWhatnow likes this.