Search Unity

using mouse for touch

Discussion in 'Android' started by polyphobia3d, Nov 7, 2010.

1. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

Hello everyone,

lets just introduce myself quickly, i'm currently eveluating unity for personal projects, i com from an artist background, working as 3d character artist for 9 years in the games industry now, i have no coding or scripting experience at all.
    And I only used unity once in a production and didn't have to touch it that much, besides importing stuff.

So i played around with it on my phone, surprisingly the Penelope demo could be just compiled for android and runs very well, so i slapped together some random stuff i already head, i was also surprised how many polygons my cellphone could handle.

However coming to the point of this thread i think it's kinda annoying, that i have to build a .apk file every time i want to test something, then disconnect my phone, install the .apk, run the app etc.
    A great improvement would be to be able to use the mouse for emulating the users touch, so i can play around in editor, i don't want to get any gameplay experience at all right now, i just want to test very basic principles without having to compile and run it on my phone every now and then.

I also tried using the android emulator, but had no luck getting my app installed for it at all, it just stops while it installs, or maybe does something, but REALLY slow, i can't say, i stopped the tasks after half an hour.

thanks in advance for any help that might come in

2. beezir

beezir

As far as the APK installing, you should be able to leave your phone connected to your development computer and just use "Build Run" and it'll take care of everything automatically.

Also in my experience, Android interprets most mouse functions as touch... I'm not entirely sure if there's a disadvantage to this though, as I use the 3rd party EZ-GUI which handles touchpad vs. mouse automatically.

3. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

the build and run doesn't work for me it always states "no android devices found", no matter how i set up my phone to be connected to the pc, direct USB connection or connections through samsung K.I.E.S. doesn't make any difference here

:edit:

nevermind i had to activate the usb debug mode on my phone to be able to build and run, great

way better to test this way

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010