Search Unity

Resolved Using MARS to check if an environment is suitable for the AR experience.

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by Gareth-Tech, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Gareth-Tech

Gareth-Tech

Hi all,

I this is a UX issue really but with AR especially, the more automated, the easier it is for the end user playing the game.

Basically we have an environment that is too cluttered, too many surfaces are being generated, the experience would potentially be less than expected for the end user.

Can I somehow count the amount of individual surfaces that are being scanned/found/generated through MARS so I can create a prompt to advise users to find a better/more suitable environment?

Again I know we tend to opt for just UX guidance but it seems MARS can detect surfaces so why not ask if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

2. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

There are a few ways you can achieve that, fairly simple scripts.
    You can check the number of children the plane visualizer has. On a similar route, if you have a replicated proxy for the surfaces being found, you can check the instanceCount property, which will tell you the total number of instances (surfaces) found.

3. Gareth-Tech

Gareth-Tech

That sounds great and definitely something I'll implement. I believe the next challenge is to check the distance from one point, like a placement cursor, to the other proxies. That way the amount of proxies could be seen as too many or great with in a certain distance.