Search Unity

Using Light Probes with External lightmapping solution

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by GabeF, Jul 27, 2014.

1. GabeF

GabeF

Hi Everyone,

I am completely lost on this lightprobes creation system. Everything was going well, I setup my lightprobes on my geometry, then all of a sudden I realise I don't know how to bake in the lighting.

So I started looking at youtube videos, and everyone seems to use the beast lightmapper to bake in the lighting solution "along with the lightprobes"

I've been working on a light mapping system that does not use the beast renderer to produce lightmaps, and it comes through fine into unity. But now I get to plugging in the lightprobes, and I have to all of a sudden use the beast renderer? Why? Surely I must be missing something. Can anyone refer me to a step by step in how to bake in lighting information without using beast?

I already have the lightmaps applied to my geometry, I simply need to sample the values in X, Y and Z to apply the correct setting to my lightprobes.

As a final note, I'm not against using beast, if it means that beast isn't re-calculating GI and all that other goodness. That part is already done, it's contained in my lightmaps. - In this case using Turtle from maya.

-Edit- Upon further investigation, it appears that lighting is sampled at render time, and baked into the lightprobes, this means in order to use lightprobes, I must use the lighting system out of the box in Unity. Surely there must be a way to sample the ambient lights by simply drawing a grid X Y Z through the volume that I'm sampling, and just get the corresponding lightmap information that have been applied to my model right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    donov likes this.
  2. donov

donov

+1 ?

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

4. donov

donov

that helps a little, but that script only takes actual lights for the coefficients, how do I sample my light maps made in maya?