Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using image to trigger object placement

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by straylight, Oct 9, 2019.

1. straylight

straylight

Hi.

Is there a way to use an image to trigger the placement of an object that will persist on the ground plane even when the image is too far (small) to be recognised? So I envisage a user using a phone to scan a small QR code that then triggers the placement of a large 3D virtual sculpture on the ground that the user must step back from to view entirely at which point the QR code would be too small to be recognised but the sculpture would persist for the duration of the session. I'm looking at image tracking example in AR Foundation but I don't think this uses ground plane detection. Any help appreciated.

J

2. thelghome

thelghome

I think image tracking example in AR Foundation should work for your case. When it lost the marker, it will keep tracking the feature points in the environment and the 3D object will stay. It will reset position if it finds the marker again.
    I just upgraded my ARKit2.0 project to ARFoundation(ARKit3.0) last month, and it works fine so far.

3. straylight

straylight

Thanks. Yes. I added a plane tracker and it seems to work. Probably worked anyway but i thought I'd add this to be sure. Now trying to figure out how to add multiple objects to different images and hopefully see them all at once?

Great work on the Golden Calf by the way. Ars Electronic '94 !! Awseome! I haven't been in a few years, but it struck me lately that the festival's best days were the 90's! :)

4. thelghome

thelghome

multiple objects should work too, I tested some example codes from another post. (but I can't remember the link)
    In my experience, they will still drift a bit once it lost the marker. However, I am attracted by the body masking feature which can mask out hands in my case.

PS: Jeffrey Shaw is a great Artist! I am proud that I helped him upgrade his golden calf in 90s, with real-time reflection feature now. The last show was in Basel, Swiss.
    https://www.jeffreyshawcompendium.com/portfolio/encompassing-the-golden-calf/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019