Search Unity

Using heavy image sequences sprites for animation

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by ButterJam, Oct 16, 2019.

1. ButterJam

ButterJam

Hello,

In some of my applications i am using image sequences for my UI elements animation, however recently i had a project with a lot of image sequences which were not compressed. Which resulted in my "sharedassets" file to become 10 GB in size.

According to Unity Team "sharedassets" should not exceed a size of 4 GB. So when i was running the application with 10 GB "shaderassets" file, all the animations are getting glitchy and messy, plus that application was using 60% of the PCs memory.

After checking forums online almost all of them were recommending to use AssetsBundle to store big files so that it doesn't affect the "sharedassets" file size.

I did some testing, took the objects with animations that had big image sequences, stored them in AssetsBundle and loaded them into my scene runtime. However even when getting loaded from bundle the animations were glitchy.

Is it a good practice to store object prefabs with heavy uncompressed image sequences animation in AssetsBundle, if not is tehre a good alternative to store them without affecting "sharedassets" file?