Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Using HDRP to target high-end mobile.

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Mr-Mechanical, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I know that HDRP targets all compute shader capable platforms, but how well does it do performance wise on high-end mobile devices (with minimalistic post-processing)? How reasonable is it to create a project utilizing HDRP focused on mobile?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think it's very reasonable, at least currently.

3. antoripa

antoripa

It's not designed for Mobile.
    You can achieve nice result on Mobile with LW

4. konsic

konsic

It would be great one could easily convert HDRP into LW.

BitPax and protopop like this.
  5. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I'd definitely agree that LWRP is a much better fit for mobile. I'm only considering HDRP because it supports clear coat shaders and motion blur out of the box (I'm building a car game).

BitPax likes this.
  6. elbows

elbows

I would not say that HDRP is 'not designed for mobile' because clearly high-end compute-shader capable mobile platforms are a target. Rather, the problem at the moment is more to do with the stage of development that HDRP is at, and the platforms that take testing and development priority during this phase.

ie lots of things are still changing quite a lot and this includes certain performance optimisations that havent happened yet, and documentation. And windows and consoles are the most focussed on targets at this time, although in my experience metal also gets quite a lot of love. I'm not sure about vulkan, since I havent tried that for myself, and pretty much all my metal HDRP experience so far has been on macos, not ios.

And even for desktop/console targets, whether it is reasonable to use HDRP for a project now depends on many things, very much including the timescale for your project. At the very least at this stage I'd say you will have to spend time monitoring the evolution of the pipeline, looking at parts of its code, coping with limited documentation, trying things for yourself, very much including performance testing. And this will be even more true for mobile, where far fewer other people have likely tried stuff already and are available to provide tips on forums etc, and where the unity team(s) responsible for HDRP are unlikely to be prioritising mobile issues at this stage.

I will be trying it on iOS at some point in the coming weeks but I have the luxury of not having a particular project with a deadline, and I dont even know whether to expect it to work at all, or how bad performance will be. I will happily share my own findings when I have them, but they will probably be focussing on a few specific aspects of HDRP rather than ensuring that every part of the system is working well enough to deliver a game.

Mr-Mechanical likes this.
  7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, HDRP isn't working with IOS or Android currently (Or at least you can hack some stuff but it is very slow). We can't provide more information for now regarding it.
    A clear coat shader could come in the future for LW, no ETA.

optimise, Mr-Mechanical and elbows like this.
  8. protopop

protopop

I use deferred rendering in my game. I'm wondering what kind of pipeline i should be looking at going forward. Can we use deferred rendering in LWRP? If not, i am guessing i should keep using the standard rendering pipeline? But will things like shadergraph and VFX ever be available for it?

9. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

BitPax and protopop like this.
  10. protopop

protopop

11. asa989

asa989

The HDRP postprocessing is very helpful. it would be nice if we can have it on IOS. i checked some of the compute shaders for HDRP and in many places you guys mentioned IOS and metal in comments in codes. My knowledge in compute shader is very low and I couldnt convert it to something that standard render pipeline can run. I just need the Shadow, highlight and midtones from that code to use for standard pipeline postprocessing. is there any update for HDRP in IOS?

12. mikibutler

mikibutler

I've been using LWRP the last couple weeks at work, and honestly it's been a very painful process, documentation is very scattered and hard to find, there is a lot of crucial features that I'm used to that are missing, where did the PBR validator went ? To this day I still haven't figured out how to look at specific buffers in the editor, If I want to work with just the roughness and the albedo within the context, how can I check these buffers? I was trying to bring some SSAO as a test but guess what, no SSAO for LWRP (or at least is not working for me)
    I think I spent like hours trying to find the Alpha overdraw view mode until I found a Unity thread saying that Alpha overdraw view is not available on LWRP and not prioritized on the road map at this point.

I throw this here because HDRP seemed a way to check the buffers with the albedo overide checkbox, but it looks like if we use HDRP instead of LWRP our devices are going to explode

Hopefully I am completely wrong and all these features are there, please somebody correct me if so.
    Cheers

Reshima, Ahmadhp and protopop like this.