Search Unity

Using Google VR Head Tracking without activating VRMode

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Bibzball, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Bibzball

Bibzball

Hi,

Out of all sensor fusion algorithms I've seen on the web, GVR's Head Tracking is by far the best and most precise sensor fusion algorithm on smartphone I could find.

It is so much better that I am trying to do something that might seem weird: I want to have access to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. VR.InputTracking.GetLocalRotation
    without having either stereoscopic view, landscape mode forced or my view automatically rotating : I just need to access the quaternion.

I only managed to get GetLocalRotation to work if I first load the cardboard device

Code (CSharp):
    1. VRSettings.LoadDeviceByName("cardboard");
    But as soon as I do this:
    - The whole scene rotates with my device
    - Landscape mode is forced

Do I have to write my own plugin using Google Native SDK to achieve this?

Thanks!

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

This is not possible today. If you load a Google VR device and don't enable VR, that device then owns the main camera and rotations will track with the pose. This is an explicit feature from Google calls Magic Mirror Mode and you can not opt out of it.

3. dustinkerstein

dustinkerstein

Hey joejo, do you know if there are any plans to change this?

I'm trying to build a single app that handles Daydream, Cardboard, and Magic Window, but the current restrictions in GVR / Unity prevent this from being possible without UX issues (ex. daydream view interstitial popping up even when VRSettings.enabled = false). See this post of mine on GitHub:

https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk/issues/703

4. Selzier

Selzier

I use Google Cardboard SDK v0.6 to get a VR view without needing any native VR mode or additional Google VR services or apps installed on the device. I also have control over phone's orientation.

5. MUGIK

MUGIK

What's the version of your Unity Editor? Because I work with Unity 2017.1 and afraid that there is no way to use old GVR SDKs with newest Editors.
    Thank!

6. Selzier

Selzier