Search Unity

Using Explosive's Mecanim Animations with Synty Modular Characters

Discussion in 'Animation' started by SmugMonster, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SmugMonster

SmugMonster

Howdy everyone.

I've picked up Synty Studios' POLYGON Modular Fantasy Characters, and I love it. It's rigged to work with Mecanim, though no animations come with it. So I've grabbed Explosive's RPG Mecanim Animation Pack (the free version to start with), with a view to purchasing the full version if I can get this to work how I want.

These each have their own avatars: ModularCharactersAvatar, which is what my model is using, and RPG-CharacterAvatar, which is what the animations/motions are referencing.

I've got two problems happening, which I'm sure are related...

Problem 1:

There's a video by Explosive on setting up animations with a Synty character, which I have watched.

Now, I don't need any of the character controllers or input managers or anything - I just want to apply the animations themselves to the character in their own animator.

So I've given my character his own animator, and scripts etc. I have the ModularCharactersAvatar set as the avatar in the animator.

I set the motion for his default state to an Idle animation, which works fine right out of the box. Awesome.

He's progressing through the animator states as expected - when I tell it to attack, it hits the "attack" state. The motion is actually playing - the animation events on the attack motion are triggering.

Visually, though, he's still playing the idle motion - even though he's in the "attack" state. If I switch to Scene view and step through frame-by-frame, I can see little red spheres (which I think might be IK points?) moving in the expected motion, but the actual bones/mesh don't do the right thing. They just keep playing "idle".

Now, it's odd to me that whatever motion I put into his default state works, but nothing else does.

Problem 2:

I thought hey, even though both avatars are rigged for Mecanim, maybe the motions need to have the ModularCharactersAvatar instead. So I tried changing one of the animations over to that one instead of RPG-CharacterAvatar.

I get this error: Transform 'Hips' for human bone 'Hips' not found.

But when I open up the ModularCharactersAvatar configuration, it has a 'Hips' transform defined.

So I'm currently stumped as to what's going wrong here. Any help would be mightily appreciated!

kartonio likes this.