Search Unity

Using custom Unity Analytics Source with 2017.3

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by ferretnt, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ferretnt

ferretnt

Will the Unity Analytics Standrd Events source package continue to be maintained in sync with the builtin Unity Analytics, and will they continue to use a separate namespace/class name for the event tracker so we can use the source code version easily?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. ferretnt

ferretnt

Umm, I now don't *think* so. I did think there was something wrong and you couldn't use both when I wrote the question earlier today, but I now think that was due to some weird update/importer shenanigans (involving whether the importer could find certain icons and ?texture meta? files in the Unity cache folder during the upgrade to 2017.3... Also, now I've resolved it, I can't find the forum threads talking about this issue, or the error messages I was getting.

Will update question with something more intelligent tomorrow...

4. ferretnt

ferretnt

Update: If you update a Unity (5.x, but suspect it happens with others...) project to 2017.3, then you'll run into a message about "Unable to open Library/Unity/caches/packages.unity.com/com.unity.analytics@2.0.13/...

[can't figure out how to attach screenshot]

which seems to be benign as long as you know to click "Cancel" ("Cancel" in this case being the only thing that results in a "Continue" of import...)

*Something* then went wrong involving a cascade of non-compiling code, Unity API updater, UNITY_ANALYTICS not being defined because ???The Analytics DLL wasn't importing due to previous errors, etc.

Anyway, it works now. But there are definitely edge cases around updating a project that already uses standard events to 2017.3. But no more so than any major version update of anything, and once it's working, it stays working.