Search Unity

Using Custom Gradle file affects APK build signature?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by LilGames, Jun 18, 2021.

1. LilGames

LilGames

Been using Cloud Build for years now, and for a particular Android project we've had no issues building, installing builds "on top of the previous one" for updates etc. We also didn't use a custom gradle file.

Now, for reasons related to a plugin update, we are forced to use a custom gradle file. We've edited it to how we believe we need it to be, pushed it to Cloud Build and built successfully. However the APK won't install as it claims there is a "conflicting package" with the same name.

I know from experience that this usually is caused by using same app ID name as another app while its signing credentials are different. However, we have verified and re-verified that the app ID name is correct (in both versions of our app, a "dev" one and a "release" one) and we have not touched the signing credentials configurations set up in Cloud Build.

So... what could be the culprit? We're all out of ideas.

2. Justin-Unity

Justin-Unity

Unity Technologies

LilGames -

It sounds like a very specific issue that you are running into and I would suggest dropping a line in the support team through our dashboard Cloudbuild>Projects>Support https://dashboard.unity3d.com/landing

We can connect with more personal information to help troubleshoot the problem.

Shameless plug -
    Are you using the Beta Windows Builders? We have seen some success with Android projects that the current system fails. IF not, you would be a great fit for our UCB Windows Builder Beta program! If you would like more information feel free to review the SET UP INFO or the original post we have on our FORUMS.

Sorry for the plug but the new system we're setting up was to target improvements for projects like yours.

Anyhow, just get us that ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
    Thanks!

3. LilGames

LilGames

Thank you for replying Justin. I'll try to look into that UCB but I doubt we can participate. (Too few resources to risk on experimenting, unless there is compensation involved).

So in the end we worked out that the custom gradle file wasn't being edited correctly by another developer. A dozen tests later we got the app building and installing on top of the old one correctly. (At least so far with the dev builds. We'll be doing another round soon for production.)

4. Justin-Unity

Justin-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey LilGames,
    There isn't currently any compensation involved at the moment. The only offering I can say is that you do get a few more concurrent builds for free with the additional Window Builder targets being added as a Beta program user. If the new target isn't working, then you can change it back.

Having been a dev in the past, I completely understand that resources can be tight and that this might not be an option. I will leave that for you to decide what is best :) Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your project! Please, DM me when it is live or if it already is.

LilGames likes this.