Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Using Collaborate AND Git

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Rafarel, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Rafarel

Rafarel

I know that it can sounds weird to a lot of people but I wanted to give a try on Git with my team and at the same time keep Collab in place mainly for artists that does not understand Git ... But for developers, Collab lacks a lot of features even if its a great tool for artists. I red an an article about this and would like to have your opinion about this practice, especially from @ryanc-unity or a Unity team member please :D

This is the article that talk about working with both Collab and Git:
    https://www.earthli.com/news/view_article.php?id=3666

I heard that I have to set meta files to "visible meta", but Collab locks the settings of version control to "hidden meta". I don't know what this means because git still see the hidden meta files, and I know that they are very important.

Please take a look at this screenshot where you can see that git sees the meta files even if the setting is at "hidden".

git-collab-hidden.png

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Looking over that article, it seems like the team was able to use it to great affect. I'm all for teams using whatever workflow works best for them.

Collab actually should be locking your version control setting to "visible meta" files. Sadly, when Collab is enabled we only lock this setting instead of making sure that the setting is changed first. To fix this, disable Collab from the Services window, change the version control setting to "visible meta", then re-enable Collab and you should be good to go.

3. Rafarel

Rafarel

I disabled Collab, changed Version Control Mode to "visible meta files", re enable Collab then Unity crashes at this moment. I relaunched Unity and the Version Control Mode has been reset to "hidden meta files".

I'll give another try. Thanks!

4. Rafarel

Rafarel

Second attempt worked, but I restarted Unity before re enabling Collab, just in case to save the settings?
    Don't know if it was necessary?

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

The restart shouldn't have been necessary but I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now. Did you happen to submit a crash report the last time Unity crashed after re-enabling Collab that we could look at to find out what happened?

6. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi, no Crash reporter shows up ... Long time I didn't see the crash reporter when Unity is crashing.