Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Using code from manual

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by boolfone, Feb 6, 2015.

1. boolfone

boolfone

2. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Yes, of course you are welcome to use the code samples in your projects. That's the purpose of having the sample code in there :)

If you watch the Learn tutorials on our website, you'll see that it also uses code directly from the documentation.

3. quizcanners

quizcanners

Is it okey to use models from tutorial to make game (not to sell offcourse) and post it here to the community. While learning I have made a game using ship and meteors from Space Shooter tutorial and posted it in showcase section with note that materials are from tutorial. And I it disappeared. Was it deleted or it was an error and I can post it again?

4. andeeeee

andeeeee

Generally speaking, *all* assets (code, models, etc) supplied by Unity in tutorials, documentation, example projects and forum/Answers posts are public domain. You can use them for anything and you are, in fact, allowed to sell games that contain these assets. (We have occasionally seen people trying to sell unmodified Unity tutorial games - it is completely legal for them to do this but of course, it tends to get a bad reaction from the community ;-).

If there are ever any exceptions to this rule then there will be a note along with the assets specifically stating that they are not public domain along with with the exact usage restrictions. I'm not aware of anything that we have ever published that has had any such restrictions, however.