Search Unity

Using CAT rig 3ds Max

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by dnoparker, Jun 11, 2015.

1. dnoparker

dnoparker

I am having issues with importing my animations into Unity. Everything works perfectly except for the hands and fingers which seem mess up the rotations.

Has anyone had any success with importing CAT rigs? If so, what is your import workflow?

I just need a working CAT rig (not a mesh) so I can throw together some animations for the built in characters.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've only imported 2 CAT rigs into Unity and I never had issues.
    I replicated the mecanim character rig from the asset store and it worked as expected. The second one had only a mitten hand and worked as expected.
    Sorry can't be any more help.
    Do you have twist bones on the forearms? May want to remove those - or there are other workflows to get them to cooperate if needed.

3. dnoparker

dnoparker

I get 'Non-orthogonal matrices' errors on the hand digits whenever I try to export the animation as an FBX which then leads to skewed rotation in Unity. I am using the standard CAT rig straight out of the modifier.

It's a shame I can't get this to work because I love the way CAT deals with animation layers.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Are you getting these errors listed in the fbx export dialogue or just visually in Unity after import?

It kind of sounds like the animations applied to the rig are the culprit not the rig itself. The fingers have x,y,z animation controllers on them correct?

Are there any attachment points or extra bones parented to the hand or finger bones?

Unhide all - and maybe the dummies that represent the ends of the fingers - similar to biped rig - need to be exported with the bones.

Does the animation have any bone scaling at all?

Just trying to trouble shoot this in my head. I may be able to assist more when home.

5. Pix10

Pix10

Non-ortho matrices in FBX export usually refers to bone scaling issues - this can also happen in the bind pose when setting up your rig (scaling bones to get them to fit your target)...be extra careful to use local scaling on bones and joints. Orthogonal scaling is the bone's local x/y/z, and not world scale (which leads to the skewing).

If you've got bone scaling in animation, as mentioned above, check for the same. CAT used to be really bad for this, but they improved it a few years ago so it's often human error.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. Jay_0

Jay_0

I'm having this exact issue, I'm exporting character rigs and animations for a mobile Unity game from 3ds Max, I've played with all the FBX settings, I've built new rigs, I've set them in t pose and zeroed out the transformations, I've checked the local scale (all 100%) and no matter what I do, when the animations come in the characters fingers rotate in crazy directions and the chest puffs out unnaturally looking completely different from how it did in Max. I'm at my wits end because I can find nothing else online to try.

7. MP-ul

MP-ul

Cat rig is better than the Biped! For me the Cat rig works without problems! just name the bones corectly and do not add unnecessary bones to it if you use mecanim Humanoid rig!

theANMATOR2b likes this.