Search Unity

Using ButtonWithOneModifier without triggering another action using the same binding?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Mman1235, Nov 9, 2019.

1. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Any ETA about that? It's been a while...

TacticalShader likes this.
  2. timchen214

timchen214

Is this issue solved? It is really difficault to work with input system on controller

3. niuage

niuage

Must be hard to be a dev at Unity. You work on something and you have to wait 10 years for it to see the light of day... :'(

4. ReD_Energy

ReD_Energy

Great, after years of using the old deprecated Input System I decided to start and port a project on the new Input System. Here I am 2 hours later searching everywhere how to check for a simple stupid button press without triggering other events that use modifiers :|. And I though waiting some years for it to become mature was enough. I bet it there will be a fix when the new Input System will start to get deprecated and a new better one will be promoted.

5. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ok, reversal on this one. Think we have all the issues on PR 1405 ironed out and almost ready to go.

KeyboardShortcuts.gif

(looks a bit wonky as the on-screen display of keys isn't 100% lined up with actual key presses)

Target is 1.4 (which got delayed somewhat).

coatline and nehvaleem like this.
  6. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

That's really promising, but please don't leave us hanging with this any longer. this thread is one of those that bring too much bad fame/attention and we all don't need such things - just google this up. Looking forward for a quick release.

7. zachduer

zachduer

I ran into this problem today and feel blessed that the dev response that it's being fixed was just a few hours before I ran into the problem. And not, say, two years ago.

coatline likes this.
  8. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

I hope I'll be the last person to "start" suffering from this problem.
    I'm glad it looks like it's going to be fixed soon. (really)
    It is difficult to imagine the hearts of others who have suffered for the past two years.
    I look forward to the good news

9. pkplonker

pkplonker

So if I understand this thread correctly, this should be fixed in 2022.1.4?

10. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

11. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Yup, what @nehvaleem says. It's in the upcoming 1.4 version of the package. The change works with any Unity version all the way back to 2019.4.

12. pkplonker

pkplonker

Appreciate the response. Are you in a position to say when this change will drop? Alternatively, are you aware of any workarounds that could be utilised in the mean time?

Thanks

13. TRS6123

TRS6123

I have a package from github that you can use until 1.4 drops. Just go to the Package Manager Window, click add package from git url, and then type https://github.com/TRS6123/AginerianInput.git

14. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

ETA ~2 weeks. Alternatively, you can add the package from GitHub (either directly through the package manager or by simply putting this folder into the Packages directory of your project).

15. BloodyBunyip

BloodyBunyip

Hi, I'm new to Unity and GitHub so this might seem like a stupid question.

I am wanting to download the new Input Manager 1.4 that has fixed the issue with Unity Remote 5. Here is another forum I have been following for any context needed -
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-input-system-and-unity-remote-5.735968/page-4

I have clicked on the website Rene-Damm has provided (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/InputSystem/tree/develop/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem) but I am unsure what to do next, I am not sure how to download the file or copy some kind of Git URL, I have only ever downloaded packages from the Package Manager in Unity that are in the "Unity Registry" and I have never used GitHub before. I am on Unity 2021.2.15f1 for Apple Silicon if it is relevant.

Thank you for anyone willing to help.

16. manuelnp

manuelnp

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  17. BloodyBunyip

BloodyBunyip

Hi @manuelnp, thank you for your quick reply.

I have gone into the package manager and pasted the link you have provided, when I click the add button after pasting the URL the package manager says it is installing the package, although after a few second the "installing package" window closes and these two error messages show up in the console -
    "[Package Manager Window] Error adding package: https://github.com/Unity- Technologies/InputSystem.git.
    UnityEditor.Editor.Application:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:356)
    And -
    "[Package Manager Window] Cannot perform ups operation: Unable to add package [https://github.com/Unity- Technologies/InputSystem.git]:
    [https://github.com/Unity- Technologies/InputSystem.git] does not point to a valid package. No package manifest was found. [NotFound].

This is a brand new 3D URP project if it's relevant, although I also tried this on another 3D URP project I had been working on and these same error messages appeared.

18. BloodyBunyip

BloodyBunyip

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 12.07.32 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 12.04.29 pm.png Here are some screenshots if they are any help. Thanks.

19. manuelnp

manuelnp

20. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

It is over 5 weeks now. Any updates when 1.4.0 will be released?

seoyeon222222 and TacticalShader like this.
  21. andrew_oc

andrew_oc

Unity Technologies

Sorry about the delay. The package is just going through some final checks. Should be any day now.

coatline and AlexMasse like this.
  22. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

sorry to bother, but any updates?

23. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

This is starting to be interesting :) I don't think that this is the proper way of communicating with users: "any day now" was posted almost 2 months ago, with no further response.

24. cjforeal

cjforeal

so is it fixed in 1.41 version?

25. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

it seems that it was actually released and there is info about that in the changelog (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4/changelog/CHANGELOG.html)

I'm gonna test it soon, probably any day now ^^

26. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

well, I guess not. Input System 1.4+ isn't available for me for use in 2021.3.4 as well as 2022.1.7 (it doesn't show in the package manager) so I guess it wasn't released yet after all. Great!

27. TRS6123

TRS6123

You can edit the package.json file manually to update to 1.4.1

28. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Yeah, I know but it doesn't qualify as "released" for me then. We could technically install it from the github directly, but it tells me that there is something off with this release cycle and I don't want to waste my time just to figure that out.

29. TRS6123

TRS6123

What you're experiencing isn't exclusive to the Input System package. For 2021 or later, you can only conveniently access "verified" packages. 1.4.1 is officially released but it lacks the stamp of verification.

nehvaleem likes this.
  30. v4d3n

v4d3n

Any idea how long until it becomes available/verified?

31. cjforeal

cjforeal

32. Ghoowy

Ghoowy

Any news on when will 1.4 be officially released? I mean, when will it be the default version downloaded

nehvaleem likes this.
  33. Somnesis

Somnesis

I'm getting this when the scene unloads with 1.4.1 (if I'm forcing the version):

Type of instance in array does not match expected type
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.PlayerInput:OnDisable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/PlayerInput/PlayerInput.cs:1735)

Maybe it's not ready for prime time?

34. mattstromaneveri

mattstromaneveri

Hello, is there any update on what release version this will get into? I see it's been merged into the develop branch now. We opened a Unity ISS ticket about this a few months back and still have the problem, but do have a workaround. Would love to ditch the workaround though.

35. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Wow this thread has gone on for a while. I thought this would be ready like a year ago, how come this feature is not yet ready?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  36. unity_skPGxJ5XjTl8yw

unity_skPGxJ5XjTl8yw

37. Asyns

Asyns

I've got version 1.4.4 installed and this still doesn't work. Have I missed anything?

Stephen1701 likes this.
  38. AndreaGalet

AndreaGalet

For anybody: this feature require to be enable in Project Settings -> Input System Package -> Enable Input Consumption

39. rubendariohh

rubendariohh

Is this fixed in 1.5?

Stephen1701 likes this.
  40. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Yes, see the post above yours

41. rubendariohh

rubendariohh

I already tried with version 1.5 and nothing. Something as simple as dropping down from platforms by moving the joystick downwards and using the jump button as a modifier (as it has been done in 2D video games since forever), cannot be done because the player jumps instead of dropping down from the platform. The sad thing is that the New Input System has been out for 3 years and Unity still haven't fixed something that should be so simple. It doesn't make sense to have Input Actions with modifiers if they can't be used when other Input Actions use the same buttons. That's exactly the point of having Input Actions with modifiers.

42. rubendariohh

rubendariohh

Nope, is not working for me. I dont use Unity pre generated code.

leslie_fairworlds likes this.
  43. leslie_fairworlds

leslie_fairworlds

I'm still having issues with this as well, even after the upgrade to 1.5 and toggling the Input Consumption in Project Settings.

We have Q and E changing player height and i still cannot get Ctrl+Q to fire off the shortcut event instead of the move event.

Attached Files:

44. niuage

niuage

Same issue.

The "S" binding will eat the "Ctrl + S" binding :'(

Please Unity team, look into it, this is part of the basics of an input system, isn't it?

What confuses me is that there's no way this hasn't been tested before release right? Something has to be different on our side or something. There has to be a way to make that work?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  45. niuage

niuage

@andrew_oc or @Rene-Damm any chance you could help us with this? At least determining if it's a bug or if we're doing something wrong?

46. jantjedetweede

jantjedetweede

For anyone wondering, this has been fixed and released.
    The new version was not showing up in my package manager but if you manually adjust the version to 1.5 in Packages/manifest.json it will update.

47. niuage

niuage

Hum ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot. I also dont have 1.5 in my package manager, even when I enable pre release packages. Does it depend on the Unity version? I'm on 2021.3.

48. niuage

niuage

@jantjedetweede Well, it's still not working for me in 1.5 and 2 people above have the same issue on that version. So maybe we're doing something wrong, but yea, pretty sure my S binding is eating the Ctrl+S binding.

I can tell for sure that it's the case actually, because when I uncheck Enable input consumption, my ctrl+s binding works, and when I check it, it doesn't.

49. niuage

niuage

@andrew_oc any chance you could look into this issue?

50. niuage

niuage

I think I understood what's happening, but not 100% sure.

Let's say your move controls look like this:
    upload_2023-3-18_15-21-15.png

And then you have a Save control like so:

upload_2023-3-18_15-48-43.png

Even tho a human would consider the "S" binding its own control, it might not be the case for Unity, and since 4 > 2, then the S binding will consume the Ctrl + S binding.

That would mean that if you want to have the standard WASD move and a Ctrl + S save, then you'd need to declare the move axis separately :'(

ringleaderwilliam likes this.