Search Unity

Official Using Burst Compiler to Optimize for Android

Discussion in 'Burst' started by AskCarol, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AskCarol

AskCarol

Unite Now would like to invite you to watch our upcoming "Using Burst Compiler to Optimize for Android" session.

Join this session to learn how our partnership with ARM helps bring the power of the Burst Compiler to Android, enhancing multicore processor performance and power management. You’ll learn how Burst grants ahead-of-time compilation of critical C# code to native code and the features it enables (e.g., Advanced SIMD).

Get started with Burst with this user guide and get Arm Mobile Studio here. Learn more about Arm and Unity's partnership.

When
    Tue, April 28, 9:00 AM PT

Where
    You can watch the session here!
    Make sure to sign up to get access to all Unite Now content.

Together with this Unite Now session we are also hosting a Q&A here in this thread to answer as many of your questions as possible.

A team of product experts from across Unity will be available starting after the session. Our Community team will continue to field questions to foster an ongoing discussion with the community. Please feel free to ask your questions in this thread.

Some basic rules

• The thread will open up for questions.

• Don’t bundle multiple unrelated questions in one reply. One question/topic per reply.

• Only questions related to the topics of the session are permitted.

• All questions will be fielded by our Community Managers (@LeonhardP and @AskCarol)
      • Replies will have to be approved by the moderators to show up in the thread.

• Once approved, the questions will be forwarded to the relevant experts.

We really look forward to hearing from the community.

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. utopicestudios

utopicestudios

Any plan to release the demo project?

Pardhi_Rohit likes this.
  3. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Hi @utopicestudios! I'll confirm and get back to you, should be totally doable.

4. Gopal_12

Gopal_12

Hi Carol!!!

AskCarol likes this.
  5. AskCarol

AskCarol

Howdy!

6. krabbypatty123

krabbypatty123

unrelated question but how can i turn this script touch controlled please explein the all proccess sorry for bieng rude but i have been searching for 5 weeks

7. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Hi, As per Android official site tells me that armeabi-v7a supports Thumb2 Instruction Set. And as per Burst documentation tells me that Arm32 Thumb2 is supported. So does it mean now all armeabi-v7a based devices as well as arm64-v8a devices are supported by Burst? Thanks.

8. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Arm Thumb is not an extension to the Armv7 instruction set. It's a mode when some instructions are coded using 1 byte in binary instead of 2, which allows to decrease the application size (which is important for Android). For example, the main Unity library libunity.so is compiled with thumb. IIRC, all Armv7 devices can run in Thumb mode, and there's no such thing as "support Thumb and don't support Armv7".

Neon, on the other hand, is a set of SIMD instructions that are optional in armv7 and may not be supported by all devices. In practice, the last armv7 SoC that didn't support Neon was nVidia Tegra2 which is like 10 years old. Unity requires Neon support on Android since Unity 5. I think it's fair to say that Androids which don't support Neon are dead.

Now, to answer your questions, Burst supports all Android devices which are supported by Unity. Thumb should not bother you, and you definitely must be focusing on ArmV8A (64-bit) and not the deprecated 32-bit tech.

Hope that helps!

JesOb, WaqasGameDev and Lukas_Kastern like this.
  9. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Thanks you so much for explaining in such detail as well as answering the answer exclusively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.