Search Unity

Using bought PBR models in Unity with HDRP rendering method.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg, May 1, 2020.

1. unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg

unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg

Hello people,

I have such a question... The last time I used Unity, there was no HDRP at all. I had some models from cgtrader.com: some were in Unity format as prefabs, some in FBX but both worked great. I just moved models to scene, added textures/all kind of shaders to models from folders and it worked great.
    But!
    Now after 2 years, there is HDRP and I wonder if I can do the same again or I need special shaders for that?
    I wanted to ask that before I spend my money on cgtrader again cause it would be sad if I can't simply do that with HDRP and need to create or buy special shaders for that.

Would be thankful for your help!

Best regards
    Daniesl

2. Mauri

Mauri

unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg likes this.
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Mauri is correct., you have to convert all materials to the HDRP shaders, and custom shaders will NOT work in HDRP, unless they were written for HDRP. Its a easy process, once you have your mats, models, and textures imported, go to Edit/Render Pipeline, youll see the options for "Upgrade project materials to HDRP, etc.

Please remember the auto mat upgrader wont convert all mats over (due to unrecognized/unsupported shaders), so youll have to manually do the ones it missed.

unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg likes this.
  4. unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg

unity_BQtdjY5EUPsbTg

Thank you for your replies... It's somehow sad because it seems that it makes the work much more complicated if the models are bought somewhere else are not created exactly for unity. I also noticed that most of plugins that I bought (volumetric fog/light and so on) are not compatible with HDRP.... Its a shame. I consider switching to Unreal because of that cause it offers me all the effects without buying them and the workflow with models/shaders are much easier.
    But thanks for the replies!

Rensoburro_Taki likes this.
  5. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Yea, I am also migrating slowly to Unreal. Unity is such a mess in so many ways... and slow!