Search Unity

Using blender to create grass

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by santiagolopezpereyra, Nov 1, 2018.

1. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

Hi!

I've been researching, in this forum as much as in other websites, the proper way to design grass with Blender for Unity. To my surprise I found that it's not as simple as I thought it would be, since many considerations are to be kept in mind. On top of that, I'm relatively new to Blender -though quite familiar with Unity-, so I'm starting to fear this might be 'out of my league', so to speak.

Nevertheless, I decided to ask the questions I have in mind here. Those are:

a) should I create a texture or a mesh to use as grass in Unity?
    b) Are there any good tutorials on how to do this (those I found were too old or too complex, and I just want a simple, low-poly grass)?
    c) What are the key principles I should keep in mind to create a grass that Unity will be able to use with no problems; i.e, compatibility-wise?
    d) Is this too much for a Blender beginner?

I know four questions may seem a lot for a single post, but I deem them to be concise and hopefully not too hard to answer for someone more experienced than I. Thank you!

2. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

There is no need to create grass in blender, unless you want to 3d model something alien.

grass is generally made in a 2d program. It a plane with an alpha mapped image on it.

3. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

Hi Ne0Mega,

as you can see this question was asked nearly two weeks ago; with no response during that time, I came upon discovering a way to create a grass texture on Blender. I created a low poly grass mesh and then rendered it with the camera exactly on front of it and a transparent background. The result image became my grass texture. It looks good (I must confess after a few failed tries!), so the problem has been solved.

Thank you for your response :)

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Do you have a link to that post/topic?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

I meant I created this thread two weaks before I got an answer from Ne0mega. I posted this on november the first, he answered the twelveth of november.

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Oh okay. I understand now.