Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Using Blender 2.5 to break a mesh into pieces for use on Unity3D?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by children, Jul 1, 2011.

1. children

children

Hi, I have been trouble importing my mesh (made with MakeHuman) into Unity3D. You see, I exported it as a .fbx, which works, but when I import a character mesh, I can't view them do to the mesh having more than 65000 triangles (whatever that means). So, I looked online only to discover that I have to break my mesh up into pieces, export them as .fbx in Blender, and import them into Unity. However, I have no idea how to break the mesh into pieces, then putting them back together. Any help with this?
    Thanks.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

if your model is a human, you should never see that error cause anything beyond 10k-20k with animation is not going to give much joy anyway ...

Potentially you by error created a character targeted purely at movie / image rendering instead of realtime?

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Right, your model needs to have far fewer triangles to begin with. Breaking it up isn't the answer, using a model appropriate for game development is.

--Eric

4. children

children

Thanks for the replies. So basically I can't use MakeHuman to generate my character. Does this mean I would have to create a human based mesh from scratch?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

either from scratch or seriously reduce the generated amount of polygons and vertices

6. children

children

Sorry for my numerous questions....(I just started using Blender) how do I go about reducing polygons and vertices?

7. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

If you've never used a 3D modeling program, I suggest you start learning from scratch. Going into any significant detail on such a complex issue if you have no background will only make things much harder.

In essence, what you want to do is retopologize the high-res mesh or build a new low-poly model around it.

8. children

children

Thanks for the tips everyone. Okay, so I have made the mesh low-poly, making it import flawlessly in Unity3D, with armature and everything, however, my colors and particles that were on it disappeared. Any help with this? Or should I really be asking this on a Blender forum?
    Thanks.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Particles from other apps don't translate to Unity. You can assign materials to meshes in Unity.

--Eric

10. children

children

Really? That sounds better, I hated using Blender to make particles. Okay thanks everyone for the help.

unityunity