Search Unity

Using assets and selling game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ammunne, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Ammunne

Ammunne

I am looking for some info on using the assets included in the unity download.

If I make a project and import the character Ethan from the assets included in the unity download, then go to sell the game. Would there be any copyright issues or anything?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Short answer - no, but you should refer to Asset store EULA - so you know all the rules regarding using assets from the asset store.

3. Ammunne

Ammunne

ok, thanks

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

All assets downloaded from the Unity Asset Store are covered by the same license, and that license specifically allows for use in game builds for commercial or non-commercial purposes. For other uses of assets downloaded from the store, see the license. For assets not from the Unity Asset Store you'll need to refer to whatever license covers that asset.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Except Unity-Chan which has its own special non-commercial license. I dont know of any others that carry a special license - but there might be.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Is this the case? It wasn't in the past, assets could optionally have additional license terms. I even saw an asset with a completely different license, but I'm certain that one was a mistake.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Additional license terms can only be more permissive than the Asset Store license, not more restrictive.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

That definitely seems to be the case now, but it hasn't always been this way. Just as an example here is an older entry on the Asset Store for an application that was only available for non-commercial use. There was of course a paid tier too.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48778

Furthermore it hasn't prevented people from trying to find ways around the limitation. Here is an example of an asset that is perfectly fine to use in a commercial application but it will apply a watermark that can't be removed unless you pay for one of the higher tiers available.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/52060

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    angrypenguin likes this.