Search Unity

Using Animation Rigging package instead of FinalIK VRIK component

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by radrad07, Oct 2, 2019.

1. radrad07

radrad07

If I want to achieve Full-Body Tracking in Unity using HTC vive and (trackers 5-8 of them).
    I saw some examples of using FinalIK VRIK component that can be dynamically bound to trackers as targets and do calibration and go from there and record MoCap data.
    What is in Animation Rigging package that is equiivalent, better, worst than FinalIK?

Thanks
    Rad

2. davehunt_unity

davehunt_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi radrad07,

The runtime constraints in Animation Rigging package will work in a VR application as well as any other runtime Unity build. We have a library of constraints available that can be found in our online documentation. These could be used to drive an avatar skeleton in VR based on Vive Trackers. One thing FinalIK has is a full-body IK solver and we don't yet have anything like that in the Animation Rigging package. You can also extend the package in C# using the open source code as examples to write custom constraints. We have taught how to do this in our SIGGRAPH, GDC and Unite presentations. I hope that helps. And let us know if you come up with something cool to share in VR.

3. radrad07

radrad07

Thanks Dave. I guess I am better of using FinalIK for now. Why not acquire this product and ask developer to join you and write something decent using Animation Rigging package?

4. teck_unity

teck_unity

Unity Technologies

In fairness, with enough trackers, you alleviate the need for a full-body solver. FinalIK's VRIK setup is very cool, but its key strength is that it will solve full-body poses with very limited tracking data (hands and head).

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. chilton

chilton

It's been about 2.5 years now, any chance Unity has a full body solver?