Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

using animation across multiple meshes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jasonnorgaar, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jasonnorgaar

jasonnorgaar

Hi I have been doing some testing of getting a single set of animations to play across different meshes that are all skinned to the same skeleton. My initial testing of the assets fails at the simplest level of just bringing the mesh in and dragging the animation on top of it.

The mesh is not named the same as the the animation, I know unity follows has naming convention used for animations that expects the mesh and animation name to be the same. Following the "@" convention will not work for what we are developing since we need to have multiple mesh components in separate files. The test animation files I have created contain only the animated skeletons and the model files a skeleton in t-pose with a skinned mesh.

We will store our source files outside of the unity project to avoid the auto exporting thing Unity does. Our files need to work only as straight exported fbx files. I am sort of at a loss here because I am positive the assets are identical with the exception of the mesh.

I have attached a couple of the test files I have created. Any help would be a greatly appreciated.

Attached Files: