Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Using a font installed on PC

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Deleted User, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Currently to use a font you need to get the font file, then put it in the project assets, then make a TMPro font asset out of it, then you can use that font

Also, I usually don't have that font's file in the computer, I always install a font then delete the font file, so I need to re-download that font

Why can't I just change the font like every other program on this planet?
    Why don't we have a drop-down menu that shows all fonts installed on PC, and you can choose the font you want effortlessly?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The FontEngine used by the TMP can create font assets from file paths. This functionality is not currently exposed in the Font Asset Creator but that is something that I will be adding.

When creating static font assets, the font file is no longer needed on the system.

When creating dynamic font assets, the font file must be present on the system / build / target platform to be able to read it dynamically to get new potential characters and glyphs.

Modifying the Font Asset Creator to show a list of all system fonts and to allow the ability to create font assets from them is functionality that I will be adding.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you so much for the reply
    I am really looking forward to this functionality, as it make it effortless to change a font

:)