Search Unity

Usim flight module in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gabo_campitelli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Yes i have been working on that aspect, but it's not yet been added to the published version. Currently working on a transform based "simulation" wich is used for distant units instead of physics based all the time wich is resource consuming. Both the AI as the physics.
    And regarding to combat air manouvers for now you can just set another aircraft as target for the autopilot and se max banking angle to 90 or more and it will do a more agresive flight.
    If you are using uSim Automated Weapon System (AI turrets) you can mount them as fixed weapons and have the turret fire between certain angle, and it will fire when the target aircraft is more or less in front. To make the AI more lethal you can add some rotatin range to the weapon (even thou it looks as fixed) and it will calculate some lead to actually hit something.
    But nothing like loops, evasive actions or anything of that sort.

2. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello!

So finally 1.44b is out. Not big changes in this update. Mainly getting rid of compability errors for 2018 users. And hopefully getting rid of InputsManager installation issues.
    As for the development, it's active as allways. Currently, thanks to Dean from Vertigostudios, currently included UNet Arena has been greatly tested and improved.
    In near future i will probably be publishing a "plus" version of uSim that incorporates uSim AI Turrents as weapons system. As well as combat oriented setups for AI. Both for offline or UNet use. uSim owners will be able to make the upgrade. I also know that UNet is going to be no longer supported by Unity. But my idea is to provide MasterServer's code for users to be able to host their own UNet services.
    Also working on adding more component based documentation. and also have to put together a tut video.
    On the long run for this year the idea is to add full AI optimization to allow large amounts of flights to be active. And a better editor integration for the AI management.

Thanks to all for the support this past 5 years since first release.

3. Sledo

Sledo

I do not have a demo version of the product. Please fix it so that you can test it.

4. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

5. blacksun666

blacksun666

@Gabo_campitelli What's happened to your website, domain seems to have disappeared? Have you got another place you store the docs and add-ons?

6. Sledo

Sledo

7. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi. The hosting service i had pretend to charge a ridiculos price for what i was using it. So i'm on the look for a new one.
    Anyway. it's on a gdrive folder so here are the link for now

ships PDF
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46wsopXF63OWkRSeXQ5NVRPdmc
    aircrafts PDF
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46wsopXF63OQVc3cTFwZU1QSWc

Demo
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZicpAC0t3blq-CbRNC-Kr9ndEV6LhTda
    Demo with AI
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46wsopXF63OQWswdWdmZ0N0STg

Also all this PDF files are included in the package in the Documentation folder.

blacksun666 likes this.
  8. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, well here's the thing. uSim is all physics based behaviours. Engines included. What happen then is that in some engines i have left the engine torque too low at low RPMs. So to over come engine friction in some vehicles you have to both press and hold the engine started (E key) and add throttle. This is not a bug, is an intended behaviour. As you might now in real life for example when you want to start a cold engine, there's a lot of friction. Low temparature, cold oil, etc... So you have to put a lot of fuel and and throttle to evercome all that friction to get the engine starter.
    Anyway. you can tweek the engine to behave lke you want. You can make it in a way that it wount stall. so it's allways running unless you cut fuel. You can make it just by adding throttle in. It all depends on the parameters.
    So to clarify uSim is not a boxed product. is a framework that provides you highly open parameters for the physics based behaviours. That's why you see so many difference among the vehicles. But i think i corrected this bad parameters in last version. i just didn't upload a build of it yet.

9. Sledo

Sledo

Understood, thank you. Very interesting asset, but nonetheless Demo is just awful. No, not even terrible, it is simply monstrous.
    I released my game on Steam, but I was mistaken with the choice of the physical model for the car. I understand your asset is made mainly for aviation? Behavior Sport Car to put it mildly strange. Nevertheless, I really like that there is a direct relationship between the engine and gearbox.
    Do you use the WheelCollider as a basis?

10. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Any chance to get Crest ocean support? It's an amazing and free water system.

11. badotter

badotter

Hey Gabo, thanks for the great add on, I'm really enjoying it!

I was just wondering, there was some mention of extra vehicles available, but of course your site is down while you look for a new host. Any chance you could put up a link to the extras on your gdrive?

Keep up the good work!!

12. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, I will take a look at it when i'm able. Anyway, it's more of an ocean system thing rather than uSim- If ocean shader has buoyancy script. Attach them to the floating points of the ship buoyancy component. It probably would result in an expensive way of doing it. But you can allways ask for ocean developer how to sample the height of water at a world cordinate. So you can get the floating points follow the water at location. It's not like uSim needs adaptation. It's the other way arround.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  13. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, sure i will. Anyway those addons templates where outdated.
    Will post links here

14. badotter

badotter

Thank you sir!

Also, while I have your attention, is there any sort of document or guide re: how to use uSim with rewired? I have been experimenting with both, and achieving some success here and there, but I am still quite confused. I see your "useRewired" bool and SetRewiredInputs function, but it seems like all through the project you are calling Inputs.GetAxis() etc. and I can't find much in terms of direct references to rewired objects.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but to effectively use rewired do I need to change all those references to ReInput/RePlayer? Or does that happen somehow magically behind the scenes?

15. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

At some point in development Unity had me remove unity packages or any other package inside the project folder. So i had to remove the rewired support package.
    Among the scripts in this package is RewiredInputs class that handles the inputs feed into the current vehicle. Just like StandardInputs does.
    The pack also include the rewired manager prefab for uSim inputs.
    I will get the most recent rewired implementation i have and upload a Unity package to the drive.

Anyway, allways feel free to contact me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com for a more hand to hand support.

16. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hey Gabo, bouyancy works fine. I have a few problems with the ship movement and Crest.

17. badotter

badotter

Ah, that explains a lot. Thank you again, I will be very excited to take a look at that package!

18. badotter

badotter

Hey Gabo, minor question here but before I delete it and move on, there's a missing script on the _model child object of the biplane, and I can't find a version of the prefab where it isn't missing. Was anything important supposed to go there, or should I just disregard it?

19. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Sorry about that. Nothing important.

badotter likes this.
  20. badotter

badotter

Hi Gabo,

I have another question, re: networking one of your vehicles. My situation is this: using PUN 2, I have a multiplayer environment, with each player operating a human player character. I also have a biplane that gets created on my master client and ghosted to the other clients. What I would like to do is allow any player to jump into the biplane, and fly it around, with inputs (or position updates?) being pushed from that client to the rest of the clients.

The situation is made difficult by the fact that Photon wants the master client to be the one pushing position updates, so if any player other than the master client gets into the plane, he is either unable to move it or only able to move his instance of it, depending on how the photon transform updates are set up. I'm contemplating using RPCs from the piloting client to tell the others when there are input changes, but I'd be very interested in anything you have to say on the matter.

Sorry if this is more of a Photon question than a uSim question, I'll ask over there as well.

Cheers,
    Chris

21. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi Chris,

If your vehicles are spawned and owned by server then a client can only control the vehicle by sending input data to the server. but this has a delay between the client pushing a key and the server procesing the input. It might be ok for LAN situations but for internet you need to be able to somehow transfer ownership of the networked vehicle to the client that hopes inside it. I ignore how to handle this with Photon, but it has to be included in their libraries a means to set owner of a network object. Therefore you just let client use vehicle locally and send position update as character does.
    on uSim side of things you just need to asign the current player vehicle to the vehicles manager or directly to either MouseJoystick or StandardInputs.

22. badotter

badotter

Cool, that makes sense, thanks Gabo!

(EDIT: for the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem, there is a PhotonView::RequestOwnership function which appears to be exactly what I need.)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  23. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello. Just wanted to let everyone now that from now on uSim VSF no longer includes UNet or AI modules. This is to make it cheeper as a base start. A "Plus" version shortly to be published will contain the continuation of the AI and UNet modules development. Along with tank controller and ship controllers for combat simulations. This new package will include full implementation of uSim Automated Weapons System. (Ai Turrets).
    For current usim owners there will be a 10 dlls upgrade cost.
    Current uSim product will keep updatng and improving on the 3 vehicle modules. (Air, sea and land) but all AI, Weapons and UNet will continue on "Plus" package.

Kingpin0509 and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  24. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

No problem Gabriel, uSim is worth the upgrading price. ;)

25. blacksun666

blacksun666

can you consider supporting the open source mirror networking asset in addition to unet in the plus option? Unity are getting rid of unet and don't yet have a stable replacement. Mirror is actually based on unet but has a lot more fixes and allows different transport 'plugins'. https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror (also available via the asset store).
    It might not be the best but it is probably the closest to unet.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  26. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I have problems with the watercrafts weight. I can't setup real world weights to the watercrafts. The current maximum that I achieve is a mass of around 15000 to 25000 kg. Do you an example how to achieve real world weights for the watercrafts?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  27. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, sorry for the absence. Having some technical issues on the PC hosting the projects. For those that were waiting on the scripts examples Sorry. but i wil be unable to do so until it's fixed.

28. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

In adition to the previous response, until i'm back into Unity, try increasing Y axis drag value in the buoyancy script to keep stability.

29. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, well you can allways host your own UNet services. You don't neccesary need to rely on Unity for that.
    You can write your own services or use assets to do so.
    uSim beeig a Unity asset will focus firstly on Unity standard networking solution.
    I will migrate eventually to what ever Unity new solution is. But for now no implementation of 3rd party solutions planed. Sorry

30. blacksun666

blacksun666

Taken from the UNET depreciation FAQ:
    'Will I still be able to use the High Level and Low Level APIs?
    Yes, but the HLAPI and LLAPI will no longer work with Unity after 2018.4 (LTS) and 2019.4 (LTS) respectively.'

Doesn't this mean if you want the plus version to support Unity 2019, you would be restricted to only UNet LLAPI or wait for the UNet replacement?

31. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Gabriel.

Unfortunately, changing this parameter does not not help to increase the mass. :(

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  32. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

I'm not sure when is UNet beeing removed from the editor. But Unity will allways ship with Networking solutions. So yes, if UNet is totally deprecated in 2019 then i will have to eventually have a version for the new networking. Cant discard one or the other. There will be both available. But initially it would be UNet based.
    Anyway, it's not just networking what plus version has. It's more focus on controllers, weapons and AIs.
    A simulation like this has very little networking to deal with so you should be more than able to adapt it to your porject. That's why there's all the source code included instead of a closed .dll

blacksun666 likes this.
  33. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello everyone,

Has anybody encounter any error when importing the project from 1.44 on? (in Unity 2018 or higher)

Thanks

Kingpin0509 likes this.
  34. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

No problems here after importing with Unity 2019.1.2f1.

Kingpin0509 and Gabo_campitelli like this.
  35. ManiacCanine

ManiacCanine

After importing uSim, the "New Vehicle" option does not appear in the Window -> uSim menu. I did notice a couple unity warnings (yellow) which said "You are trying to import an asset which contains a global game manager. This is not allowed.". I don't know if this is related or not to the "new vehicle" option not appearing.

Also when importing it resets the project settings and downgrades the Scripting Runtime Version to .net 3.5, is this intentional?

I like the asset so far and I think it will be perfect for what I am trying to accomplish!!

36. zenforhire

zenforhire

Can the options be turned down to support 24 planes flying at same time without killing computer performance?

37. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

At the current state of the product it can't be posible. The simulation is to be used for player vehicle only at the moment.
    AI part of things is back in the drawing board to allow high numbers of AI players. It will requiere to have distant vehicles
    be moved by other means rather than physics.
    This feature is currently in prototype stage and will be published when ready and tested.

38. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

a new version is up. No new features added here. Just cleaned up the project with a unity 2019+ enviroment.
    Now all prefabs are free from errors of missing scripts.
    Also mostly important, i have been adding component based documentation. Also included in the package.
    But also they can be downloaded from here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ovg4vPR_xbpzyupa4j6kXaBxfUul_LN3

Sorry for those waiting for new features and improvements on performance. As soon as i clean up and make more "pro" the presentation of the product i will be able to get back to actual development.

Thanks!

39. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thanks for this version Gabriel! :) Looking forward to the Pro version.

40. Ranger-Ori

Ranger-Ori

Can it be used for 2D games as well?
    can I freeze one of the 3d axis for it, or does it have 2D kit?