Search Unity

Usim flight module in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gabo_campitelli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That sounds great! Looking forward to the new update. Also nice to have a simple chat. ;)

2. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for this update. The F-14 is a great addition. Are you planning any other swing wing aircraft?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. OtisAndLL

OtisAndLL

Are there any examples of published games that use the uSim system? Where to get or purchase aircraft 3D models that are suitable for integrating in to uSim?

4. OtisAndLL

OtisAndLL

I can't do anything in the demo scene. I'm told to copy the Input_manager.assett from the configuration folder but it is not there. I can run the demo scene and select various aircraft and the view keys work on my keypad but that's about it. What am I doing wrong? Started with v 2017.3, now on 2018.1.

A sample of errors:
    Ignoring asset refresh of ProjectSettings/InputManager.asset because the file isn't in the Assets directory!
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '_model') is missing!
    ArgumentException: Input Axis propPitch is not setup.
    To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    StandardInputs.Update () (at Assets/uSim_framework/Main/Scripts/Inputs/StandardInputs.cs:36)

UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion)
    DemoSceneManager:SpawnSelectedVehicle() (at Assets/uSim_framework/Demo scene/Scene/Scripts/DemoSceneManager.cs:213)
    DemoSceneManager:SetSelectedVehicle(Int32) (at Assets/uSim_framework/Demo scene/Scene/Scripts/DemoSceneManager.cs:66)
    <Start>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/uSim_framework/Demo scene/Scene/Scripts/DemoSceneManager.cs:42)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

5. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, not for now. The idea is to have the f14 carrier capable.

6. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, did you send me an email allready? sorry i don't see much the forums.
    Unity should have installed the inputs automatically.
    Sorry about that issue it's something beeing working on. I just do how Unity say it should but aparently it's not working.
    I will add it again to the package despite the error trown by editor about "configuration files not allowed".
    i attached the file needed.

Attached Files:

7. Tegleg

Tegleg

hello
    just got this asset, its good thanks.

although the inputs are completely messed up, even with the input manager you posted, and it doesnt play nice with other assets.
    it would be better if they could be set in the inspector, on the inputs manager script for example
    cheers

8. Smojj

Smojj

Que tal Gabo,

I'm thinking of picking up this package, so far it looks like it will do more or less what I need it to do.

I'm looking at developing a WW2 combat flight simulator for VR (Occulus mainly), and have some questions... Apologies if the answers are already in this thread, I've had a quick look already. I know you're busy, so feel free to tell me to 'RTFM' if appropriate.

1) Do you anticipate any issues if I develop using uSim for VR? I'm guessing that the main issue will be to set up the inputs to accept an Occulus controller.

2) Aerodynamics: How do you simulate aerodynamics? Is it a case of assigning the mathematics to a game object, and tweaking? Or do you calculate the actual airflow over the surfaces of the model? (If that makes sense...). For example, from what I understand, MS Flight Sim uses a mathematical approximation of aerodynamics (ie. an abstraction of the coefficient of lift across the whole game object, rather than each individual shape making up the model), whereas Xplane uses the airflow over the wings. So the aerodynamic properties are calculated from the actual shape of the model, instead of from a properties file. I've seen another asset (Aircraft Toolkit) that appears to use data generated from NASA's OpenVSP. Which leads to my next question...

3) Damage modelling: If pieces of an aircraft are shot away, how does uSim handle the change in lift generated by (for example) a wing full of holes, or broken control rods/cables? Another example: A power plant which has been damaged?

I'm pretty much a rank beginner at this (Unity), so obviously I've chosen to create a flight sim. Yes, I know... A learning curve like Mt. Everest will not make my life easier, but.. Per Ardua Ad Astra (Through hardship, to the stars)... This is a personal project, but if it works, I'll put some hard time and resources into it.

Cheers!

Smojj

9. iichiversii

iichiversii

hi it mentions in the extra component list you have "3d cockpit rigging support. (for control animations)" however it clearly doesn't show the flight instruments working in the video provided, can you show this feature operating in the plugin please.

im also curious about the helicopter support, as its something im currently developing, i would really like to see this feature in action.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  10. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,
    Not sure what's wrong with Unity inputs installation. I've done as Unity instructed me to do so but aparently there's still the issue. I know it's a slow solution but you can allways add the inputs entry manually. Like in any other game in Unity.
    StandardInputs.cs is the link provided to have uSim "read" Unity inputs. But Unity inputs it's not the only means of inputs management. There's other such as Rewired wich i highly recomend for this kind of proyects.
    Wich assets does it not play nicely?

11. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello Smojj

Not sure what RTFM means but it's ok to ask anything :)

1) As in the previous post when it comes to user interaction, it's all in hands of the developer. Simply because i don't like boxing my product into a specific setup when there's many ways of inputs. Mobil, standard unity, rewired, custom joystick controllers, etc... Althou uSim is provided with both a "Mouse Joystick" and a Unity standard inputs controller.
    Each vehicle has attached it own local InputsManager that can recieve input data from any script you wish just by calling SetAileron(value), SetElevator(value), etc...
    So you will have to have your own control interaction via VR hand i suppose and produce that way control outputs to be assigned to your vehicle InputsManager. I beleave the best way is to read physical rotation of the flight controls and by comparing against max values you can get a rate from -1 to 1 to be used as control output.
    uSim uses Unity inputs range of -1 to 1. Throttle has some special behaviour but mostly it's just like that.

2) Well this is a tricky question. First of all take in consideration that i'm just a self teached programmer driven by the love to simulations itself. So don't expect to be able to import data into uSim and magic happens. Aerodynamics and any other simulation system in the asset is a simplified made up algorithm that simulates a real physical behaviour. I understand how complex some sims get when it comes to calculating lift and drag, but all that calculation just outputs a still very aproximated value that still has to be used in a simulation system. So there's no way to garantee that having a top secret NASA airfoil generator software for the wings will provide realistic simulation.
    uSim takes advantage of Unity's AnimationCurve functions to shape the airfoil Lift and DragCoeficient in function of angle of attack. Then wingArea and done. It's so maleable that you can be very precise in the behaviour of a particular wing section. You can actually use real CL and CD curves. Airfoils.com i think it is, has a huge database. I use real world data for WWII combat sim myself and the results are good. (total wing area in ft2/number of wings, CD curve and CL curve knowing airfoil profile name).
    The wing simulation can be used as wanted. If you want it complex you can have different profiles for different wing sections so there's wingtip stalling in a figther for example.
    But, take in consideration that if you get it complex the number of physic active aircrafts will be low. Anyway, the idea is that only the player vehicle is beeing simulated at any time.
    I'm currently working in an addon that handles flight physics from the transform instead to be able to incease greatly the number of AI units.

3) Airfoils can be targeted to lift any Unity Rigidbody. So you can have your wing made of segments with an airfoil sectin each and hinged together. Then you destroy the joint and done, the wing is detached and still generates lift on itself making it look even more realistic. You can simulate controls damage too or, if the section that is riped off has the aileron assigned then it works too... By the way the included UNet module has a networked damage script that does that.

I'm pretty sure that once you understand how the vehicles components work you'll find that the framework is much much more than just an Aircraft game toolkit.

12. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi!

Sorry about that, the video it's actually old. I do have another video that shows this:

fast forward to 1:45
    It's allways the demo available.
    http://www.softdimensiongames.com/

For the helicopter:

But the demo is the best way to know what you get. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading it

Kamikaze2020 likes this.
  13. iichiversii

iichiversii

Thank you so much, I will certainly try out the demo tomorrow, I may have some more questions about your plugins, it's looking very promising so far

14. iichiversii

iichiversii

Hello Gabo, I've another few questions, I build my own aircraft models, is it easy to import our own models into this plugin or purchased models?

Are you planning to have video tutorials for fixed and rotory wing on how to best use this plugin?

Finally are you planning on implementing screen displays for the aircraft rather than just analog displays?

15. iichiversii

iichiversii

No helicopter examples in the demo

16. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

iichiversii likes this.
  17. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

I take you are allrady familiar with Unity?
    Imagine uSim as the simulation layer. for the statics parts of the vehicle say fusilage, you just change the model in Unity editor scene view as allways. The ailerons, etc.. wich are mobable just need to be parented to the proper articulated object. uSim doesn't interfiere with any graphic side system(s). As far as Unity Engine concernes uSim just adds force to a rigidbody on physics update. Everything else is done internally and totally independent. If you ever moded for FSX you'll understend. All you need is your model with the mobable surfaces detached individually. Such as ailerons, elevators, etc...
    Landing gears need some sub meshes too for the suspension to work.
    Take a look at this docs. It has a step by step tutorial.

The problem i have with video tutorials is that i'm very bad at it and i don't have aproper video capture software that would record my clicks and all windows at the time. Ofcourse i could dig into it and learn the stuff, but at the moment it's not how i want to invest my time. But don't esitate on writing to my personal mail: gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com for any assistance at all.
    More over, and this goes for anyone that may read this, I also offer postsell development at low rates if it's uSim related. I have in the past made small prototypes using uSim as platform for clients.

The reason analog gauges is what you find most is because these are the triccky ones to programm. Digital displays just need the UI text value to be changed. Instead the provided gauge classes handle needle based gauges. An artificial horizont is included that can be easlity skinned into a modern plane HUD. You can still use same gauge classes for the data collection and just add a few lines to update the HUD UI text.

My work focus mainly in the simulation. The other stuff is there for the sake of content examples.

18. iichiversii

iichiversii

19. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I've been looking for something to help improve the airplane simulations in our upcoming PS4 game RC Airplane challenge. We don't need a full fledged airplane game but just the airplane mechanics. How hard would it be to just implement the airplane physics part of this. We already have our input schemes, damage handling, etc..

20. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

airfoil class acts on a Rigidbody you choose. Highlift device class provides lift deflection (ailerons, elevetor, rudder,etc..) based on physical rotation of the object it is attached to. So you can either use just the aerodynamics and use you own control and riging solution, or use uSim components. With a few exceptions, most components are independent.
    So no hard at all. If any case you decide to go for it feel free to write me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com

thanks!

21. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Great, if you're available to assist in the setup if we run into problems, we'll go ahead and purchase it.

22. Artaani

Artaani

Gabo_campitelli

Hello. I would like to check a demo, but I am not too trust for .exe files.
    Can you please replace demo link with the standard Unity build exe + _Data folder archive?
    Or WebGL build even better.

reggie_sgs likes this.
  23. raizun

raizun

I am going to try autopilot with the prefab "Mig 17 (AI)".
    I am referring to the takeoff of the sample.
    However, speed does not go up even if it becomes full throttle.
    Do you know what the cause is?

24. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, Sure. Let you know when i have the link up

Artaani likes this.
  25. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Is there any inputs error beeing trown in the console?
    Also is possible that for some reason the engine of the AI isn't running?
    AI uses the engine starter on start up, but sometimes engine could be setup in a way that it doesn't stay at idle after start up. if that's the case and throttle not at full during engine start up, then most probable that the engine is stalling. Not sure why the demo Mig 17 (AI) would have it engines stalled, but looks like it.
    I'll check the prefab engine parameters, but if nothing changed it should work.
    AI is currently at the work table, improving and optimizing it.

26. raizun

raizun

I could not improve on the prefab "Mig 17 (AI)".
    Instead, I used "(AI) Mig 17" of "Demo Scene with AI".
    Then, it worked normally.

27. jywilson

jywilson

I just tried running the demo using version 1.43 with Unity 2018.2.2f1.

I started by reading the README first file. This indicated that I should run auto-configure in the Editor. I did this, and restarted the project, but this had no effect. I tried manually copying InputManager.asset from "Configuration Files" (as directed by the README) but the file there just told me to run auto-configure again, or copy it from the Assets folder. Unfortunately, it does not exist in the Assets folder.

Any suggestions?

Jim W.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  28. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, i think i did reply to you mail. But for the rest reading this,
    InputsManager.asset was removed from the project files y sugestion to let unity deal with inputs installations, but it isn't working. I will put it back in next update, but this will bring back the error telling that such file can't be in the asset folder.
    Anyway, after using it, it can be deleted.

To those getting started with this asset, please be patient. At begining may look complex stuff going on but it's really just minor tweeks. This asset has physics based behaviours wich means that some objects needs to have the atributes balanced to work. For example. if engine doesnt have enough base torque to over come engine friction it wount stay at idle. Throttle comes into play too when it comes to providing torque to the engine. As in real engines, at start up use some throttle to have more engine torque. Idle throttle value can be adjusted.
    Take in consideration that all components are individual simulations and it's aimed for real life behaviours and may not be suitable to standard gaming industry. Not because of performance but because of the way the design is aprouched.

29. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

So, as said. Next update is comming and with it the addition of AI optimization and transform based vehicle movement. Intended to have distant vehicles don't use physics all the time to save on performance. It can be used with aircrafts and ships at the moment. The class handles transition from kinematic to physics setting corresponding rigidbody and transform velocities.
    Transform based movement is currently just intended for AIs but with time i i will add a player controller for it to have a plain arcade low resource sim for vehicles. (not physics based).

Points in the uppdate.
    - Single player scene example. (with out the spawning menu).
    - Rollback to old Inputs installation.
    - Kinematic vehicle mover.
    - Ships UI controller improvements.
    - Buoyancy class optimization and improvement.
    - namespaces.

Also i have been working in an addon WWII Destroyer vehicle with controller such as in World of Warships but it needs to have this asset for the weapons to work. So it will be available as a free addon.

umcherrel and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  30. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Sounds great, looking forward to the buoyancy improvements. ;) Can you also fix the network errors with Unity 2018? I tried uSim with 2018 version of Unity and it gives my some errors.

31. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi

I haven't updated to unity 2018 yet. Aparently current UNet is being deprecated very soon since Unity has alied with google cloud for a scratch new networking API.
    But send me some screenshoots and i see what is the error so you can fix it.
    On my end i want to upload last update before submiting with unity 2018. But UNet module will not longer be developed. Once new network api is out i will migrate to it asap.
    Also will dig into new C# jobs for multi-core cpu utilization and improve simulation performance per vehicle.
    Some unexpected changes for 2019.

32. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

i imported USim in new project and get errors that inputs are missing i imported alsp your project settings restarted same problem and also the input asset / preset but after restart also not work.

You know what can be wrong ?

also are there good ways to use USim as arcade or easy controllable for planes aircrafts , helis and boats ? Like for example GTA has ?

And can it work with Photon Online Multiplayer ?

Regards

33. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, Sorry for the delay. You can find me in more regular basis via mail.
    The input issue can be solved by manually adding "propPitch" axis control to Unity standar inputs.
    To do so go to Edit-> Project Settings -> Input. then pick one of the lower unused axis and call it "propPitch" and assign the keys to it as in any other project.
    Or send me a mail to gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com and i send you the InputsManager.asset file with it added. and talk you trough to replace the file in the project settings folder.

As for the arcade aprouch, take a look at the Nieuport (arcade) aircraft. The biplane. Mainly you can increase rigidbody angular drag and base drag to have the aircraft follow a more straight line rather than beeing affected by lift changes. But take in consideration that the system is aimed for realism and "arcade" is more of an "arcadish" aprouch. In the background you will allways have a realistic physics based system. But increasing rigidbody drag propieties and increasing control surfaces effectiveness to overcome the drag works pretty well. Again, take a look at the biplane arcade version.

Any multiplayer can be added to the standard model. But to see how it's done you can use as reference uNet based version also included in the package. But uNet is beeing deprecated soon so unfortunately is to be used as a guide. Althou it still works. During 2019 i will be migrating uSim multiplayer to the new Unity multiplayer system.
    Allways think of the vehicles as a rigidbody. And only have simulation systems enabled on the local object and threat remote vehicles as a plain transform object.
    Then some components will need syncronization such as Engines, Props, etc.. This components allready have a mode toggle system that can switch from remote to local.
    For more info please write me at the mail.

Thanks!

34. jgwinner

jgwinner

Hi

I'd like to use USim for a spaceship that has a "spacedrive" that acts sort of like a tractor beam. There is more to it than that, including power inputs, "capacitor banks" for large accelerations and the like, but I figure if the mechanic is there I can create my own gauges. The 'Tractor beam' be be controllable as to angle, force, etc.

Can I put in my own "thrust" rules and have the aerodynamics code work with non-aerofoil objects? I saw in your post above that basically I develop my own 3D models and attach via rigidbodies; I can do that, but would like USim to calculate drag, etc. as parts of the spacecraft open, etc.

Is that doable?

Thank you,

== John ==

35. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello John,

Not completely sure of what would you make best use of in uSim. Aerodynamic components perform calculations in a simulated atmosphere and apply the resulting force int othe rigidbody. Usually the most common scenery is that open space doesn't have aerodynamics. Most spaceship controllers would rather use angular drag and drag to keep track of the desired direction. I do beleave that uSim is adding more complexity to you scenario. I'm pretty sure there has to be an asset more suitable to you needs. But i can't tell you it would be cheeper. But if you do go with uSim, you probably end p using just the thrust components wich can be used independently.
    BUT you do have the adventage that you can simulate athmospheric conditions in case your space sim has interaction with "air" inside a planet.
    Did that answer your question?

36. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I am thinking about buying uSim. Looking at the forums it seems like it is only for air planes. Even the Title of the Forum is "uSim flight Module". The asset that is linked is the "uSim Vehicle Sim Framework".
    Does the uSim Vehicle Framework have cars and boats as well?

37. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, initially in the early release it was aircrafts only. and still the main simulation. But it does have fully supported land vehicles and sea vehicles. Serval examples are included for all three modules.
    After implementation of land and sea vehicles the asset was renamed to vehicle simulation framework.
    You can allways download the latest demo from here:
    http://www.softdimensiongames.com/

skip forward to minute 10 and there's ships and land vehicles. althou this video is old.

This game is entairly done with uSim land module.

khos and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  38. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Do you have any car demos?

39. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  40. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Thanks
    but that brings nothing only the error in Console is away but when want fly etc nothing work cant fly also start engne etc nothing work only see cockpit but no keys work :(

rtryed with xbox one gamepad and keyboard and mouse.

at boats work but only with mouse work when click at the buttons in right bottom corner

also is there a easy / good way to import it in an existing project because with so much inputs in inputmanager much work :(

Work it with Photon Multiplayer ? Or only Unet or the new coming ?

Also at ship at waves etc water spash effects look very bad. and fly in air :(

also work it that at biat the moterblade in water spin ?

and at the jets etc you forgot a flame effect ?

and where can set input that all vehicles work with keyboard ?

You can post it here then every customer has it or not ? or update the unity asset store package.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  41. Smojj

Smojj

Thanks for the reply Gabo. You've pretty much answered my questions.

Once I complete the modelling I'm working on, I'll grab this package and work out how to integrate it into what I already have. Should be fun.

By the way, RTFM means "Read The F***ing Manual".

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  42. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

43. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, is this error related to the file VehicleController.cs? If so, a new update has been submited that fix this error. v1.44b is in review and will be published soon.
    Send me and email to gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com and i will send you the new version file.

MakeGames2 likes this.
  44. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

For those who recently got uSim and find yourself with inputs error and old code error. Please send me an email to
    gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com and i will send you the fixes.
    A new version has been submited (1.44b) wich fixes this errors but it's still on review and haven't been published yet.

Thanks!

MakeGames2 likes this.
  45. jgwinner

jgwinner

I believe so - I should have said "craft" not "spacecraft" as the vast majority of them don't go out of the air.

The 'thrust' component I guess is what I was worried about. There's a flat plate that is the thrust generator, and there's no obvious exhaust (think tractor beam), so I was worried maybe about that. I guess I could simply locate my 'thrust' component at the center of these plates, and let the sim calculate the aerodynamic forces.

Basically - I need a good aerodynamic simulator that actually tries to do 'real' aero calcs, as my craft will look oddly like flat plates.

Is this the right tool or is there something better? (I'm happy to use this, just thought I'd check as you seemed unsure).

== John ==

46. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Sure, you can use only aerodynamics for your project. Don't even need all the vehicle setup overhead. If you have any problems to figure out the proper way to use it just send me an email. gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com and i can help you out.

Cheers!

47. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello, tried to use with unity 2018 and dont work, get many erros, if possible to fix that, its very bad need use older versions of unity. Which version you recomend for while?

48. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

49. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

PD: The fixed version is been submited but still haven't been published.

50. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Gabs, did you manage to work more on the AI side of things regarding the aircraft.