Search Unity

Usim flight module in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gabo_campitelli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Cover 3.jpg
    Usim is a vehicle simulation framework for Unity. The first module for flight physics has been released.
    With it you can simulate any type of aircraft. Smooth and realistic feel/look simulations can be achived as well as arcade style simulations.

The AIR module includes

• Airfoil simulation. Can be used alone.
    • Variable swept support.
    • Aircrafts templates.
    • Advanced sound configuration. can combine multiple sound samples for engines
    • Suspension and tire simulation for landing gears.
    • High-lift devices implementation. Let you simulate flaps, ailerons, elevators and rudders realistically.
    • Slats support.
    • Aid / arcade forces configuartions. helps you make a more stable user frendly simulation for arcade style games
    • Custom editor window for fast vehicle editing.
    • PDF manual and aerodynamics guide included

Included aircraft templates

• WWI fighter
    • WWII fighter
    • Jet era fighter
    • B17 heavy bomber
    • P51
    • c 172
    • The duck (amphibian)

In varius simulation styles.

Current version of AIR module. v1.2

04/2014 v1.1 changes

* Added slats support.
    * Added variable swept support.
    * Improved physics.
    * Added B-17 heavy bomber flight model example.
    * Vehicle editor window changes and aditions.
    * Updated documentation.

v1.2 changes

* Included Sea module beta for free. It allows the simulation of buoyancy objects. Ship example included and hidroplane mixing both air and sea modules.

Free updates

All ongoing modifications and improvements will be free for AIR module owners.

Free SEA module when it comes out (included since v1.2)

All owners of the AIR module will recieve the SEA module for free (when it comes out).
    The SEA module will allow you to create watercrafts of any kind as well as floatplanes.

Support

My job is to ensure the tool works for my costumers. Any doubt or help you may need feel free to mail me.
    gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com

Future updates

I'll be reworking part of the code since some of it is old and can be improved.
    modular aircraft building support. Build you aircraft by putting together different parts such as engines, wings, high-lift devices. Save and load presets.
    3D gauges.
    Damage support.
    Vissual effects.
    Physics improvements.
    With the sea module, carrier operation support (arrestor hook, catpult support).
    and more...

Remember that by buying you are actually supporting the futher development of this and more simulation tools to come.

Web demo: http://www.uk-sf.com/unityweb/usim.html

Get it here: Asset Store: Usim flight physics module

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    John3D and reese01 like this.
  2. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

04/2014 v1.1 changes

* Added slats support.
    * Added variable swept support.
    * Improved physics.
    * Added B-17 heavy bomber flight model example.
    * Vehicle editor window changes and aditions.
    * Updated documentation.

Also adjusted price a bit. Before $50 now $40.

Planed for 1.12

* 3D gauges.
    * Pilot controls rigging.
    * Flaps improvements.

Updated WEB DEMO http://www.uk-sf.com/unityweb/usim.html

Any question, dubt or assesorement you might need feel free to mail me to gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    Gabriel.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    reese01 likes this.
  3. reese01

reese01

Usim flight module seems to be the best flight physics asset for Unity3D. I noticed the links on Asset Store page lead to 404 pages.

How does it perform on mobile platforms? Are other modules coming soon?

Keep up the good work!

4. DallisG

DallisG

I bought it. How do you get the joystick throttle and pedals to work? Thank You.

5. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, Among the scripts there's one called InputsManager.js. This script is specific for recieving any input source and use it for the aircraft's functions and actions. You would have to set up your joysticks inputs either via code or trough Unity inputs manager. Once unity read your joysticks inputs you can use them as you please trough the InputsManager script.
    If you need further help with this, please send me a mail to gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    Thank you.

reese01 and DallisG like this.
  6. DallisG

DallisG

Thank You and I Love Your Program. I'm having trouble with unity not recognizing my controls. I'm going to try "Rewired" control mapper or etc..... I'm more an artist than a tech, so i'm learning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I could I would just hire you to set some things up. I'm a pilot so the tweaking part is easy and fun for me. You flight physics are perfect for what i'm doing.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    reese01 likes this.
  7. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Rewired should be able to handle your flight simulation controllers since it handles both RawInput and DirectInput on Windows. It supports CH products (Fighterstick, eclipse yoke and pro pedals) with defined profiles in Rewired out of the box. Other users have mapped Saitek X-45 HOTAS and Saitek X-52 HOTAS controllers. You did not specify a platform you are working with so I am just guessing that you are using Windows.

What controllers are you working with?

8. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This looks very interesting. When is the watercraft module expected to be available?

9. DallisG

DallisG

platform windows...
    Controllers: saitek flight yoke system.
    I installed Rewired. It works great and Unity seems to recognize my controls but not working with Usim. Probably going to try another module and scrap Usim. I tried changing the names of axis in the Unity Input manager to match the names in the script (aileron, elevator, rudder...etc....) but no joy. If anyone can help with a suggestion that would be great.

10. DallisG

DallisG

I installed Rewired. It works great and Unity seems to recognize my controls but not working with Usim. Probably going to try another module and scrap Usim. I tried changing the names of axis in the Unity Input manager to match the names in the script (aileron, elevator, rudder...etc....).

11. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

You might have to create a custom controller for the Saitek yoke.

Please also post in the Rewired thread also so everyone is aware on what you are trying to integrate and can offer some advice.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rewired-advanced-input-for-unity.270693/page-5

Edit: Rewired 1.0.0.32 now supports the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke system and other pro rudder pedals.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Which Saitek flight yoke? I know there are a couple different ones such as Saitek Pro flight yoke and a Cessna Pro flight yoke. Do you have a Saitek 3 lever pro throttle quadrant also?

13. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, sorry for the long delay.

You should be able to modiffy InputsManager.js and point to your own axis for inputs of aileron, elevator, rudder, etc...
    Or re-asign your joystick axis to the existing inputs in the Unity inputs manager.
    i have used it keybord, joysticks, Xbox controller and no problem. Again if Unity recognize the input then assing it to the current aircrafts inputs in the Unity inputs manager.
    If you want to use your own axis with different names just reerence them in the InputsManager.js script.
    Aircrafts read the aileron, elevator, rudder, etc variables. Not the inputs directly.

If you have trobles please send me a mail at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    I'm not very forum active.

14. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

version 1.2 is up. Nothing new unfortunately for the air module. But it now includes the Sea module with ship example and hidroplane example. Gives the capability to simulate buoyancy in any object. Documentation updated.
    Also included is a modular physics based engine for use with ships or any other use.

NOTE: I have been informed that the Usim_package is imported as a folder. All the content of this folder should be placed in the root asset folder.
    For example : Assets/Usim_package/Editor/... is wrong.
    it should be: Assets/Editor/... same with all other folders inside Usim_package.

Thanks!
    Gabriel

Taff-in-Exile likes this.
  15. John-G

John-G

Is the sea module available seperate?

16. Pulov

Pulov

web demo link is not working.

edit: the 1.1 in tHE MAIN POST

17. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

No, it's included in the Air module. Is just a free adon.

Hmm seems to be ok here. I don't have a demo for the sea module. But you can watch some dev videos in my youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCOhsftncJArA4pACrg4GCw

18. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

corrected the link, thanks

19. John-G

John-G

Will the sea addon work with Suimono V2 water system?

20. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

As long as your ocean asset allow you to sample the height at a desired location to match the water height. Or you can use a fixed ocean height in case of planar ocean shader.

John-G likes this.
  21. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I just started working with this asset and it seems really nice so far. I just started to integrate it with Rewired.

Do you have any updates planned for Unity 5?

22. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,
    I have been using Usim in Unity5 and seems to work just fine. The package doesn't use any Unity build in component other than rigidbody. Even wheel colliders where made for Usim.
    Unity5 also has an API that re-writes some code and fix it for you so the update is automatically.

I had my PC stolen and lost lot a development for Usim that wasn't uploaded anywhere else... So all the on going modifications for Usim where lost.
    Anyway the probably next adittion will be ground vehicle simulations along with some modular building of the current air and sea physics.

23. John-G

John-G

Sorry to hear on your setback, nothing worse then having to redo ones work all over.
    Still think of first time round as a practice run ;)
    Sid you see Scrawk is working on a new ocean, hopefully you'll redo your float system for usim when it's released.
    Also looking forward to your bouyancy and ship/sub aspects of the package.

24. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Sorry to hear about your PC being stolen.

Those new additions in your road map sound good.

Do you plan on converting everything to C# in a future release?

25. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That sounds great that Scrawk is working on a new ocean. Thanks for mentioning it.

26. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Do you plan on converting everything to C# in a future release?

Yes, the ground vehicle module will be the first in C#, expect to migrate all to C# after the 3 modules are up.

John, the current version of Usim air module includes a beta version of the sea module. It has buoyancy behaviour, floodable compartments (affects flotability and has animated water level), hidrofoil simulation and some other addons like a physics based engine that is used in the demo ship. Also includes deph mask example to keep the innerside of the ship hull clear of watter. And last also included an hidroplane example wich uses both modules.

27. John-G

John-G

Hi Gabriel, any progress on the next update? and on the C# conversion of the air/sea modules.

28. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

I have been working on the next uSim air module update. 1.3 will be all new C# code and some aditions and improvements.
    The workflow is the same with a few diferences. But the most important thing is that it has been optimized.
    1.3 comes with new supsension / wheel system and a different solution for landing gear animation handling.
    2 new aircraft examples. a p51 and a c172 v1.3 ready. And the nieport 28 migrated to 1.3

Still fixing some issues here and there but sometime next month it will be up.
    Visit http://softdimensiongames.com/Works-in-progress/ and take a look at the 1.3 version in action.

Thanks for your support.
    Gabriel

29. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That is great news. The video is great. Looking forward to this new release. Will it be easier to use alternative input systems like Rewired so I will not have to make changes to the source code? Basically it based on some discussion in this thread.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-make-better-code-assets-for-the-asset-store.366355

30. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hm i don't see why would need to modify the code. The sim model is totally independent and InputsManager handles any input whether is AI controlled or an alternative input source. 1.3 will include the option to install rewired setup. And also public methods to set inputs values wich is what it was missing.
    As for the current Js version you can uncheck the "pilot" bool in InputsManager and set the inputs variables from an external script. like inputsManager.aileron = value. No really need to modify source code.
    Don't hesitate to contact me for helping on adapting uSim to your project.

31. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for the information. I was looking for the public methods to set inputs. Having it all in C# is perfect. Having Rewired support built in is a huge benefit. I know @guavaman will like that too.

Thanks again for keeping us updated on your progess.

32. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any update on when 1.3 will be released?

33. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, I was going to release the 1.3 version of air module and make the land module apart but i decided to put all togerther in the same pack. so in 1.3 not only will be all ported to C# with the new aditions but also the incorporation of land module.
    I will start submiting the changes gradually and adding more example vehicles.
    I'll do my best to make a stable version submision in april.
    Both land and air modules will be AI ready using stats based behaviour to move around the world wich is more optimized. Physics based simulation is ment for the player only. But it can be used on other vehicles as well.
    i'll upload a demo of the current development version for testings this week.
    I'll post the link here

34. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Great news. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your release.

35. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

36. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

Very sorry for the delay on the publishing. Been working on contracts and haven't had much time. At the moment i'm finishing the new editor windows and documentation.

37. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your release.

38. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any expectation when this release will be ready?

39. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

I should be able to publish next month, 1.3 is bearly the base for the new features to come but the idea is to get it to point where it can fairly replace and improve 1.2 features so there no "downgrade" in the versions.
    This is a complete all new coding and design in C#.
    I promes after this release the new releases will come much faster.

As allways, thanks.
    PD: In this days i'll be uploading the playable demo of 1.3 with all the included vehicles to play around.
    See the p51 template
    http://softdimensiongames.com/Works-in-progress/

40. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

Version 1.3 has been submited. Althou as before after submision there's only an Ok button that's all the feedback you get. so i don't know when and if the update will be available. But in the meantime here's the demo download page for the new 1.3 version.
    enjoy.
    includes rewired example.
    http://softdimensiongames.com/Products/

Thanks

41. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

Version 1.3 is up and ready. For those who allready have the package please update for the new content. Please note that the package now have two packages inside, 1.2 old JS version and 1.3 new C#.
    I'm also working in some more documentation for the 2D panel examples scripts and finishing the land module.With 1.3 up updates will follow faster now.
    Thanks!

42. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

In version 1.2 an aircraft can somersault,but in version 1.3 an aircraft can not somersault,why?

43. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, Not sure what you mean exactly, and wich aircraft but... 1.3 templates are realistic flight models, meaning for example that the biplane woun't do very good while flying inverted. WWI aircraft where not very acrobatics. 1.2 had also arcade template on some of the aircrafts. I'll be adding a couple of templates setup for acrade gameplay.
    If you need quick fix just tweek in aerodinamics tab (in vehicle editor) and look for main wing(s) curve. Make the curve more symetrical so that the aircraft has same lift even when flying inverted.
    Please also refer to documentation a pdf called aerdynamics tips and guide.
    Also note that in 1.3 the "arcade aids" where removed since the same result can be obtained directly from the flight model.
    Another tip also included in the docs, is to tweek your global air density, make the air more dense to have lower stall speeds therefore making it easier to land, take off, etc.
    Those who where using 1.2 allready might see some difference on the structure and some behaviours but it should be just a matter of tweeking the flight models using the new simulation core.
    Any further help please write me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    Thanks!

44. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This is good. I am not sure how I missed it earlier. I hope to take a look at this over the weekend.

45. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

For example,a real p-51d can fly loop.splitS,Immelman Turn, but in Version 1.3 it can not do it.

46. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Please could you send me a video where you attempt to do such manouvers? I don't seem to have unespected problems regarding manouverability or any other user so far.
    I don't know where are you reference from, if you are a pilot, have a p51, flown one or just play other sims or games. I have based the flight model on real pilot's training documents. The p51 is not a turn fighter and to be able to perform manouvers such as those it first need initial kinetic energy. But i guess you know this.
    It might have too much drag, it might lack some power, but it's just all parameters.
    If the flight model don't quite meet your requeriments right out of the box you can tweek the parameters, that's the point of the asset.
    Try adding more thrust to the propeller trough the vehicle editor window, in the engines tab. It might give you what you are after for.
    Also there's no point in comparing the p15 with 1.2 version since the p51 is not present in 1.2.
    If you have problems seting up the flight model, again, send me a mail.

47. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

An real P-51,

Attached Files:

48. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

An real P-51 has Symmetrical airfoils,very smooth CL curve,but your p-51d prefab's main CL is very steep.

49. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello again sugarbbv. Thanks for your intrest. I understand perfectly what you are saying, and the p51 CL curve has it max cl at 15 deg just like you say. The only diference is that i still haven't sort ot the air density conversion factors to work with my formulas of lift and drag to reflect closely the right real deal. So the CL goes up to 1.0 instead of 1.5. I try to match climb rates, stall speeds and L/D ratios to try solve for air density. So it's kinda on testing phase still.
    I think that even with 1.0 of CL in the sim p51 performs very well even thou it has more wing load than the real one based on knewtons. In result the air density seems to be too high atm.
    Also you have to understand that this asset doesn't have a "shortcome" or "bug" as you are pointing out, for the very simple reason that if your are not happy with the performance of the aircraft you can allways change the parameters. Both of vehciles curves or global parameters such as air density coefficient.
    This is the CL of the p51 in 1.3

CL curve.jpg

The reason it looks steep is because the curve x axis wich is angle of attack, goes up to 90 degree. and the Y scale doens't have the same scale ratio as in your image. so it doesn't look like yours or any clasical CL or CD curves examples. The reason it goes to 90 deg is because not all airfoils behave equal during stalling.

Also i made a manouver vid for you

Not to make it extent just a loop, a Immelman and a split S. Power off glide to the airstrip and land.

So again, if you need help configuring your aircraft as you want, send me a mail to gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    Thanks.

50. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

Hi,
    When I drive a P-51, into the spin state, how to change it?