Search Unity

User Issues

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by CaseyHofland, Jun 6, 2018.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I'll start by saying something nice: Unity Connect was very intuitive to pick up. The interface is clean and simple.

But I did have some mayor troubles when setting up my account. I hope you will take them to heart.

System Details: MacBook Air 10.13.5 (High Sierra), Google Chrome 66 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Troubles:
    1. The hottest tab wasn't spaced correctly. Hold on, now come the real problems...
    2. I can only list locations verified by Unity. It is sweet of Unity to look out for us by only letting us choose from locations you know are valid, however applying this to companies I've worked for is taking it too far. I would understand a potential employer wanting to look into a company I've worked for, however if it was located in a rural area not verified by you they would now have to do some Google searching before arriving at the correct company. It's one of those small details that could put an employer in the wrong subconscious mood.
    3. I can't add certificates. I fill in my details, I click OK, it loads, and then it doesn't post it. I tried reseting the page, logging out and back in again, but it just not happening.
    4. I can't ask references from unverified emails. One of the companies I've worked for was for web-design, yet I would still like to have a reference from them. I have one, but Unity asks me to mail them to send one to me, which might be troublesome anyhow if the company didn't exist anymore. I digress, my problem is that I can't send them an email because they are not a Unity contact.
    5. It was unclear I had to put 06 in front of my phone number when using 2-way verification, so I had to retype it. This wasn't such a big deal, however when I wanted to post a project of mine and had to use 2-way verification, it just wouldn't send me a code (don't know if this was because of the redo or just 'cause). Even worse, because it redirected me to Unity ID, it deleted my post and I had to write it all over again!
    6. Waiting for supervisor review. Come on guys, why is this necessary? Can't I just use a password if 2-way verification is good enough? Here's the deal: I don't want you to supervise us, for 3 reasons. 1: Swearing is a form of expression, and I would much rather call my friend "F***ing pieces of S***" than "baffling baboons". 2: It takes me more time managing my account; if you did not approve my post, I have to rewrite it. But the biggest of all, 3: it's wasting your time. Go make Unity better! Don't hang around supervising what Billy Boberson posted about his awesome convention last night.

But please, PLEASE don't mistake me for hating Unity Connect. It feels fluent and has so much beautiful potential. Hopefully you will respect my effort to making it better.

And last but not least, I didn't really see a thread for posting issues with Unity Connect. It would be great to have such a thread.

2. markp-unity

markp-unity

@kg-unity @luisdong_unity for awareness

Hey Casey2,

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback w/ your specs.

Sorry about this, but at the moment this is our only solution. We get frequent feedback from companies that use the site and rest assured, we've never heard them complain about the locations of companies listed on users' profiles.

We must have some server issue there. We'll try to fix it asap. We have an overhaul incoming that will allow you to sync your Acclaim certifications (Unity CERTS!) to your profile, so you don't have to do it so manually.

For references, as is invites and contributors, you have two options. Selecting their account from connect or just adding their email. Try to just add "email_address@domain.com" in the "Ask someone via their email address" and hit enter. The emails don't need to be 'verified', they just need to be using standard schema: name@domain.suffix

This is managed by a central security & login team - I will forward to them and see if we can get a fix.

We agree - for the most part there is very little process for you to post your content on the site. But these are here to prevent spam, not limit your interest in expression.

We have a group for that! come join us here - direct channel to the team: https://connect.unity.com/g/5ab9e0c032b306002190ccaa