Search Unity

User-defined prefab generation using ScriptedImporter with referenced assets, possible?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Kichang-Kim, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Hi. I'm trying to implement custom importer for generating prefab by using user-defined custom data.

In example, user-defined data has multiple name and guid pair, and ScriptedImporter generates prefab which has multiple childs with PlayableDirector and specific timeline, loaded via guid.

I think this works when all of assets are already imported. But how about first time mport of project? when custom data is imported, other assets which has guid in pair may not be imported so AssetDatabase.LoadAsset by guid may be failed.

My other concern is that when I generate prefab in ScriptedImporter, its guid may be changed and all references to prefab may be lost.

So, my question is,
    1. Is this possible to create asset which references to other asset in ScriptedImporter?
    2. How to safely create/update prefab in ScriptedImporter for preserving its guid?

Thanks.

2. Baste

Baste

I'm guessing that giving the importer a high importQueuePriority would guarantee that it runs later than the other assets.

3. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

@Kichang-Kim

1) Yes is it possible to reference other assets from a ScriptedImporter.

2) As long as the names of the GameObjects you create are stable you will also get stable ids and thus references to your custom prefab should be fine.

Kichang-Kim likes this.
  4. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Oh, That is exactly what I found. Thanks.