Search Unity

"UseFullKinematicCollisions" needed for 3D Physics!

Discussion in 'Physics' started by PhilSA, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

So I just saw this in the 5.5 roadmap, for 2D rigidbodies:
    • New UseFullKinematicCollisions property allows Kinematic body types to collide with other Kinematic and Static bodies complete with collision/trigger callbacks.
    This is what I have been desperately needing for 3D rigidbody physics for the last few years in order to make proper 3D character controllers that have full control over their movement and will never be displaced by external forces or collision resolutions unless I explicitly want to. Kinematic 3D rigidbodies currently do not fire any collision callbacks. Is there any chance we will get this feature soon for 3D too? This would be a game-changer!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. UrsHanselmann

UrsHanselmann

+1

Having this property for 3D rigidbodies would be awesome!

3. PhilSA

PhilSA

By the way, a Unity dev in this thread said he might give us a way to process collisions on our own by giving us access to PhysX's "computePenetration" methods. I think this would be an even better solution than what I was asking for in here. Mostly because OnCollisionX() messages only occur after the physics pass, and don't let us access collision information before applying the physics movement, which is often what we want to do.

There's a link to the feedback entry in the linked thread, if you want to vote

4. UrsHanselmann

UrsHanselmann

Thanks for the link, I'm all in voting with you for that one ;)