Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Use Wordpress as your game's database

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MrDude, Feb 17, 2014.

?

If I were to build the kits in order of preference, which kit would you like first?

1. Friends system: Invite friends and see what they are playing. Include PM and chat services

44.2%
  2. Online privacy: Protect your info select exactly who can see what

16.3%
  3. Message boards system: Categories for author, clan leaders, groups personal

18.6%
  4. Online market place: Trade with NPCs or real players. Includes gifting service

36.0%
  5. Custom character system: Create a character in one game and take him into other games

20.9%
  6. 2D narrative game template: Write a story, build a game in a day...

12.8%
  7. Clan system: Access your friends arsenal during your own battles

8.1%
  8. Wordpress Games portal: Display available games, sell them and show stats (ratings/reviews)

25.6%
  9. Other: Please specify...

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrDude

MrDude

Say hello to the new generation of online plugins for your Unity games!

If you have never used Wordpress before, don't worry. It is super simple to get started! Some web hosts offer 1 click installs of Wordpress. If your web host provides this option, simply install Wordpress that way. Alternatively, if you like doing things manually, just download it from here:
    https://wordpress.org/download/ and follow the instructions to have a brand new website setup in minutes!

If you need a free web host for your website, try: http://www.000webhost.com

Here is what is currently available... (much more to follow...)
    *Note: All the kits require the WULogon kit but apart from that, all kits are standalone so you can pick and choose what functionality you need for your project

$big copy.jpg
    WULogin: User accounts and login system
    Get it on the Asset Store:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15766?aid=1101lGrs

* If you already own the myBad Studios Core kit, get a discounted version here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15020?aid=1101lGrs

* 0 database configuration required!!!
    * Simply install the plugin using your dashboard
    * Create new or use existing user accounts interchangeably on your website or inside the game
    * You can now give your game's login a "Remember me" option
    * You can now do proper password recovery and password changes
    * You can also update the personal info Wordpress stores about you
    * Drag and drop user account system. Enable user accounts in new projects in seconds.
    * Contains callbacks your system can hook into to perform custom actions
    * No need to change a single line of code in the kit
    * Works on all platforms. Just needs internet access, is all.
    * Compatible with all GUI systems

$big copy 2.jpg
    WUScoreboards
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15329?aid=1101lGrs

* Install it once and then you can store all your current and future games's scores in the same database.
    * Drag and drop with only two functions to learn: FetchScores and SubmitScore(int score)
    * Displays users real Gravatar profile images
    * Profile images respects your game's age restriction preferences
    * Offers flexible avatar size
    * Optimized to not use excessive draw calls in case you want to use this prefab on mobiles.
    * Works on all platforms. Just needs internet access, is all.
    * Compatible with any GUI system

$big copy.jpg
    WUTime Delay Framework
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/16503?aid=1101lGrs

Now you can store your stats online and prevent users from cheating by simply changing the date on their devices!
    Create time delayed lives like in Candy Crush in seconds!!!

* Any number of stats you want!
    * Each stat has an independent timer
    * Each timer has its own length
    * Features a count down or count upwards timer
    * Seconds to implement
    * Works on all platforms
    * Exposes values as plain data types so you can use it with any GUI system
    * Features callbacks so you can attach custom behaviors if you want to
    * Update server using one line of code per action:
    - GivePoints(amt)
    - SpendPoints(amt)
    - UpdateMaxPoints(amt)

$big copy.jpg
    WUData
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/16827

Now you can store any value you want, online! All data is stored relative to a player's account, not just relative to the game the player is playing which means you can store info globally and access it from within any game. Let's say you have a global currency that you want users to buy with real money and then they can use it in whichever game they want... You can now store that value in any game and all games will have access to it.

Perhaps you want to do something a little more personal? How about collecting a person's personal information like shipping address or favorite books, for example? This info will not change between games so there is no need to store it more than once.

Of course, you can still save info relative to a game only so wether it be the in-game currency or the player's chosen name for that game, you can store it online. This means that they can play the game on any device they want and the info will automatically match between devices... from names to money to stats... whatever you chose to store online can be synced between devices.

To further simplify matters, you can also separate both global and game-specific data into categories or just leave it global. When you store your settings you use the same function wether it stores globally or per game and wether it is uncategorized or sorted into categories. In fact, to make life even simpler, that single function can store one value at a time or as many values as you want per category.

In terms of fetching the data back from the server, you can request the data per field, per category or per game. Whichever you choose, it is one function call only. Once the data reaches you from the server, I provide you with a host of functions to parse the results into usable values and can return all the common function types: string, int, float, bool, Rect, Vector3, Quaternion and more...

All of this and you need not configure a single thing on the server. Just start saving stuff and if the variable already exists, it will update the value. If it doesn't exist, it will store it. It really is THAT simple...

More coming soon...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. MrDude

MrDude

3. MrDude

MrDude

In the first post I mentioned how simple it is to take this self contained package and integrate it into your kit and how it doesn't require any changes to the kit itself...

This script demonstrates that you need never modify the LoginGUI class as it is merely a front end
    The underlaying WUServer sends out events that you can plug into and that way link your code with
    the WULogin kit...

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using MBS;
    5. public class CustomAccountClass : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public WULoginGUI
    8.         wu_login;
    10.     void Start()
    11.     {
    12.         if (null == wu_login)
    13.         {
    14.             Debug.LogError("Not connected to the WULogin prefab");
    15.             return;
    16.         }
    18.         wu_login.onLoggedIn += OnLoggedIn;
    19.         wu_login.onLoggedOut += OnLoggedOut;
    20.     }
    22.     void OnLoggedIn(object data)
    23.     {
    24.         Debug.Log ("Yeah! Logged in " + WULogin.display_name + "! Now I can load my level!");
    25.     }
    27.     void OnLoggedOut(object data)
    28.     {
    29.         Debug.Log("Oh, no, yo! Like in game over, yo. Time to load the main menu scene again");
    30.     }
    31. }
    That simple... :)

Enjoy

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

How are you authenticating the players?

5. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Johnny

Initially, when not signed in, they send their username and password. After that I use cookies

So simple answer, most of the time I authenticate users using cookies, just like web browsers do :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm talking about players ... so every player needs a wordpress account?

PS I don't know much about word press :)

PPS While waiting for your answer I did a bit of reading, so if I understand correctly, word press users can get an account "on your web site", its their individual account tied to your web site. Sounds like a pretty neat solution.

7. MrDude

MrDude

Just noticed your pps :p

Yes, you have it right. :)

What is nice about this is that I have a whole bunch of extra kits that I plan on creating in future. Some website only, some game only, some a combination of both but by using Wordpress as the account system it means that all their stuff will be linked together...

For instance, imagine this... They log into your game called SuperbikeX and they create a driver using my Custom Character Kit. You then save that character configuration to their account and then they load up your other game called Super Pipe Jumper 3 and you give them the option of fetching their saved avatar for use in this game... Basically, they could create an avatar like the 360 and Wii and store the config to their account and you can load that same config into all your other games so now you have content that gets shared between games...

Or how about your own in-game currency that you can take from one game into the next... This is the kind of thing that is possible when you have one database that contains details of various games. The possibilities are endless and so is my imagination... ;)

Here is a little Easter Egg for you to try and solve... You will notice (if you get the kit) that when you install the kit(s) in Wordpress they are referred to as WUSS packages. In fact, they are even installed in a folder called WUSS in your Unity project... Each of these optional components are part of a much larger system, culminating in WUSS... We have WUL and WUS so far (I pronounce them Wool and Wuss), WUPI (cushion) and WUSI are still coming... along with others...

Now let's take it the other way around. Imagine you have 5 or 6 or 15 games on your website and they all share the same database. Now you get yourself a website plugin that displays stats like How many users are registered, what are the highest scores on the site, what are the highest score per game, which game is most popular... Imagine adding a rating system to your games and adding that stats to your website... Basically, WUSS could give every Unity developer the chance to create their own games portal...

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yeah I think its a good solution. I have many years of backend service and database development, but I think I'd still prefer to use something like this. Tying it to a website account is a bonus in my opinion. You can support forums, etc, all on the one account.

- John A

9. MrDude

MrDude

Exactly.

A good friend of mine also asked me "Why do you want to use WP in the first place? Why not just do it in PHP directly?"
    I see you understand my view on the matter :)

The possibilities... Ohhhhh, the possibilities.... ;) See my modified post above for some examples of ... 'possibilities' ... :D

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

This product is a great idea! Do you have plans to support the web player?

11. MrDude

MrDude

Hia

It does support the webplayer now. Turns out webplayer cookies work slightly differently than other platforms but i got it working after i submitted the kit to the asset store. As soon as it got accepted i submitted the patch. Web players are now supported but there is one little thing to note...

When you sign in/out, I dont reload the page so will still look look like you are logged in / out till you manually reload the page or go to another page. I figure that is a good thing, though. Or else you would have the entire game download again every time the page refreshes.

Thing is, other platforms I need to send the cookies but with web players it uses the cookies from the web browser itself. Slightly differnt approach, but yeah, it works :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  12. Maindric

Maindric

Can we get a special promo rate if we purchase this WITH the required "Studios Core"? Like say $30 instead of $35? (Convincing my wife to spend money is a pain)

Also, I am assuming this works for Word Press sites that are hosted on their own server? Thanks for your time, really interested!

13. MrDude

MrDude

Im afraid you are looking at this backwards. I am purposely selling my kits for less because they require it. One kit, multiple packages that require it. For example, all the WUSS packages require it... the way I looked at it was that I could either give you 20 copies of the same script(s) and you need to delete the duplicate for every package you install or I separate the shared code into a package of it's own, make each kit smaller and cheaper and let you pick and choose which you want... I chose the latter, giving you a discount on all future kits, basically. You won't get better value for money than that. ;) In fact, I'm planning on releasing cheaper versions of existing packages that use it also saving you even more still...

Tell that to the wife :p

...and if she still wont budge, you can always use the limited time voucher COUNTDOWN20 on my website for a 20% discount on each kit :)

Works on any site that allows you to install plugins. Not sure about multisite websites, though. Never had any of those...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  14. John-G

John-G

Could this be used with the UMA Asset to store avatars created using that system in a wordpress database?

15. MrDude

MrDude

If there is a demand for that i can certainly look into it... But at the moment, no.

16. MrDude

MrDude

17. MrDude

MrDude

I have uploaded a second version of the login kit that contains MBS Core so there is no need to buy and install that separately.
    http://u3d.as/content/my-bad-studios/wordpress-user-login-standalone/6Rc?aid=1101lGrs

Buying this version costs $5 less than buying them separately but the drawback is that this kit's version of MBS Core will not benefit from any updates to the MBS Core standalone package.

So now you have choices :)

Enjoy! :D

18. MrDude

MrDude

I just submitted the next Wordpress kit to the Asset Store and I think you guys are gonna really like this one... especially you mobile developers! :)

The Wordpress User Time Delay Framework allows you to create online stats and timers like Candy Crush or Farmville and have your timers maintained online, as opposed to inside your game. This way you can prevent people from cheating in your game by simply changing the date on their devices.

Using the Time Delay Framework you can add as many stats as you like, give each an independent timer of different lengths and never have to configure any of it on your server! Setup is done inside your Unity project and takes seconds. Just tell the prefab the location of your WordPress website and tell it what the initial starting and max values should be and you are done!

The Time Delay Framework runs completely independently of anything else so all you need to do is display the results in a way that makes sense for your project. Values are basic int and string types meaning you can hook it up to any GUI system you like.

It also contains callbacks you can hook into for custom actions like telling systems like NGUI that the timer was updated so it can update it’s various controls as appropriate.

It reports the current value, max value, timer and timer bounds and also returns the timer as a pre-formatted string in the format of days:hours:minutes:seconds but it cuts off days and hours if not needed. Timers can count down or up also. Modifying the values on the server takes one line of code per action so it CANNOT be any easier... Did the user start a new game? Want to take a life from him? Just call UsePoints(1). Did he just buy an extra life? Just use GivePoints(1). Did he buy full lives? Just use GivePoints(1000000) as the server will cap points to the bounds... One command to give, one command to take, one command to update the bounds... It cannot be easier. :)

Quite useful, but super easy to use! What a great combination! Yes?

Now we just await the Asset Store...

$WUT.jpg

19. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

totally missed this thread until today...
    sounds really cool

20. MrDude

MrDude

lol

I have found posts in this forum to be quite a lot like the App Store:
    "Here today, gone tomorrow. Lost till someone tells you about it" :)

21. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am interested in WUSS :)
    I like the gameportal idear but what is missing is a solution to automaticly check if a player payed for a game or a game part and let allow him to use i.e. a special sword or the nect level or a custom character.
    Can you implement something like this with WUSS?
    A payment solution and a solution to check ingame if a user is allowed to use something.

23. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Rand

Actually, this is something that is on the road map. thing, is, though, that the last part (the checking if a user is allowed to use something and the checking if a game was purchased etc) that is the easy part and will pose absolutely no problems at all. The problem would be the payment solution.

Remember, WUSS works on mobiles web players, desktop, Win, Linux, Mac and even though I can't test it myself I would assume all consoles also... So with all these platforms and OS's supported, there is a multitude of payment gateways available. Heck, one gateway takes payment from over a hundred different payment processors and even offers cash and COD as payment options... There are most likely a lot more that I don't even know about... I can most certainly not support all of them and if I force everyone to use only PayPal or Credit Cards etc I will inevitably run into someone who is not happy about the choices I provide...

As such, my solution is to offer an in-game currency that players on your site can take between games. Earn gems in MyMatch4 and spend them as Berries in MySmurfs or as Bolts in MyF1Racing. I would then provide you with an interface to allow you to modify this currency so that you can use whatever payment gateway you prefer. For example, you use Prime31's iOS kit to buy the currency via the App Store. When his kit says "Transaction completed successfully" you then give the player his credits via my API. Alternatively, once the Facebook API is better supported, you might let the player buy his coins using Facebook Credits or you could use the various Website-only solutions to accept payment on your web player or or or or or. In each case, you get your money and then you give the player his credits. From there you can use those credits in whatever way you wish.

Thing with money is, if you ask people for their credit card details or any other form of payment information, you run into the issue of trust... "Do I trust the developer of this game enough to give him my payment details?" and rightly so. How do you save their personal info? Do you have encrypted harddrives behind enough firewalls backed by full time networking administrators, with secured backups and what not? Is your security methods as strong as Apple's or Sony's? Would YOU give your credit card details to every app that asked for it?

But on the other hand... if you can pay via PayPal or the App Store or Facebook or whatever other intermediary that you DO trust and who keeps your payment information safe for you... well... that brings a whole new level of trust to your product, doesn't it? So you need to implement a payment solution for the platform you are working on, use that to get your money and when it tells you the transaction is complete and was successful, then you make use of WUSS to do the rest.

WUSS would be providing you with a global currency and a game-specific currency so you can let the players buy "Gold" and then "sell" the gold for whatever currency you use in the game. This way, you can have 50 global currency to share between all your games but still have 100 berries in MySmurfs and 284 Cubes in MyLego and what not...

...but yes, a currency system is on the roadmap. Consider this... As soon as this latest kit of mine is approved, I have given you a way to tell players "Sorry, you can't play for another 25 hours now. come back tomorrow". A payment solution would add to that sentence "or you could give me $1 to play 5 more rounds" ... see how useful that would be? :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  24. MrDude

MrDude

Actually, come to think of it, you can actually do that now! lol

This Time Delay Framework plugin won't be of much use to you as a currency since it was designed to always give the player points back after a set delay... but in terms of charging people to continue playing, this is exactly what this kit was meant for!

This kit will allow you to have lives and energy and endurance and stamina and mission points and rank upgrade points and whatever else you want to have.

You can then create as many systems as you like to ...how shall I put it... "help" your player spend those points and once they are gone, they have to wait for it to charge back up again... or they can pay you to charge it it up for them.

Consider this, you require 5 stamina to challenge a player... you have only 2 of your max 5 left... The Time Delay Framework will allow you to sell the player 1 stamina or 5 or max. You can give him however much you choose so you are able to sell him 1 Stamina for $0.25, 5 stamina for $0.50 or max stamina for $1... just create your shop, get your cash and tell my kit how many points to give it. Done.

Now do that for all the stats in your game and I have successfully helped you in creating a money sink... Enjoy :)

25. MrDude

MrDude

I just updated the mbsCore package today. It now includes a new class called mbsStateMachineLeech that allows you to attach multiple state machines to a single state variable.

Before, if you wanted to attach more than one action to a single state you had to create a new variable and change the state on each variable each time you wanted to change the state on one of them. This resulted in lots of duplicate work and manual housekeeping but no more. Now you simply create your state machines, link them all to one state and when one state changes, the rest are automatically changed for you also.

This is useful in case you want to ..say... if you want to perform something during Update and during OnGUI, based on a single state. Before I created two variables (called UpdateState and GUIState, respectively) and each time I wanted to change the state I had to do:
    Code (csharp):
    1. UpdateState.SetState(myStates.otherState);
    2. GUIState.SetState(myStates.otherState);
    Now the second line is no longer required at all...

Example: Editing three state machines using 1 function call...
    Code (csharp):
    1. public float speed = 50f;
    2. public Transform target;
    3. enum eMyStates { State1, State2, State3 };
    4. mbsStateMachine<eMyStates> UpdateState = new mbsStateMachine<eMyStates>();
    5. mbsStateMachineLeech<eMyStates> GUIState = new mbsStateMachineLeech<eMyStates>(UpdateState);
    6. mbsStateMachineLeech<eMyStates> AnimState = new mbsStateMachineLeech<eMyStates>(UpdateState);
    8. void Start()
    9. {
    10. UpdateState.AddState(eMyStates.State1, doUpdateLeft);
    11. UpdateState.AddState(eMyStates.State2, doUpdateRight);
    12. UpdateState.AddState(eMyStates.State3);
    14. GUIState.AddState(eMyStates.State1, doGUI1);
    15. GUIState.AddState(eMyStates.State2, doGUI2);
    16. GUIState.AddState(eMyStates.State3, doGUI3);
    18. AnimState.AddState(eMyStates.State1, playRunBack);
    19. AnimState.AddState(eMyStates.State2, playRunForward);
    20. AnimState.AddState(eMyStates.State3, playIdle);
    21. }
    23. void Update()
    24. {
    25. if ( Input.GetKeyUp("a") ) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State1);
    26. if ( Input.GetKeyUp("d") ) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State2);
    27. if ( Input.GetKeyUp("space") ) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State3);
    28. UpdateState.PerformAction();
    29. AnimState.PerformAction();
    30. }
    32. void OnGUI()
    33. {
    34. if ( GUILayout.Button("Left")) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State1);
    35. if ( GUILayout.Button("Right")) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State2);
    36. if ( GUILayout.Button("Pause")) UpdateState.SetState(eMyStates.State3);
    37. GUIState.PerformAction();
    38. }
    40. void doUpdateLeft() { target.Translate( -speed * Time.deltaTime, 0, 0); }
    41. void doUpdateRight() { target.Translate( speed * Time.deltaTime, 0, 0); }
    43. void doGUI1() { GUILayout.Label("Backtracking cause the current state is " + GUIState.CurrentState); }
    44. void doGUI2() { GUILayout.Label("Pushing forward cause the current state is " + GUIState.CurrentState); }
    45. void doGUI3() { GUILayout.Label("Standing still cause the current state is " + GUIState.CurrentState); }
    47. void playRunBack() { target.anim.CrossFade("RunBack", 0.2); }
    48. void playRunForward() { target.anim.CrossFade("Run", 0.2); }
    49. void playIdle() { target.anim.CrossFade("Idle", 0.2); }

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  26. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I have two more questions.

How does this scale on a server for 10, 100,1000 and 10000 players that play the same time?
    Would this not slow down a normal server so it is not rely usefull (distract the players so they go away) then?
    If so, can this be made the way that it use more servers for the same players that use load balance?

Do i have to use browser games with this or can i use mobile and standalones too?
    I ask because i do not understand wordpress so good.

27. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Rand

1. I can honestly say I have never tried it with 10,000 players, yet :p lol. But to answer your question, I would suspect that all depends on how good your server is. If you are running off of Amazon's scaling servers where you pay for the more you use and they give you more power when you need it then it will obviously run a lot better than a VPS with 128Mb RAM. The whole point of this kit is that it does the work on the server and in Unity all you do is eye candy. Only now and then do you contact the server to ask for some info and then you leave it be again.

For instance, you don't log the user in every second, do you? You log him in and then my kit will tell your game "You are logged in" and you then make your game do whatever your game does and you never ask the server to log the player in again until the next time he plays the game...

SQL can handle many thousands of concurrent connections but how well it performs depends on the hardware it is running on but I say to you again, you only contact the server when you need it and ONLY when you need it. 99.99% of the time your game is not connected to the server so no, I can't see why this would slow down servers so much that it will chase people away. Unless you have hundreds of thousands of players who all start playing the game at precisely the exact same second...

2. On the first page you will notice I said I had to ADD WebPlayer support during an update. This means that the web player was the LAST platform I created support for, not the ONLY one. Any platform that can use the WWW class (i.e. any platform with an active internet connection) can use the kits. The work is done on the server. The kits only ask the server "Yo, please do something now" and get a reply back once it's done. The reply is a normal string variable so the only restrictions are "What can you do with a string variable?" but certainly, all platforms support the use of strings :D

The only thing that might be a problem, though, is the fact that all communication to and from the server is done via base64 encoded strings so you need to make sure that library is not stripped from your mobile builds when you build it.

Again, the game does what it does and doesn't use the server at all... only now and then, when you need something from there, do you contact the server. It sends you the data you asked for and then it's done. Once again, your game is playing without a connection to the server... until you need it again... then it connects... and then it disconnects and you are again playing without a connection...

Make sense? Unity's networking is real time and sends data for as long as the game is active (or at least the scene that uses multiplayer is active). These kits of mine are all non-real-time. You only contact the server when you need it. Then and only then.

For instance... Today another one of the WUSS packages was released. The Time Delay Framework. This kit is similar to Candy Crush in that it allows you to tell a player "Sorry, you can't play for another 30 minutes. Come back again then". For that entire time, there is a counter on your screen showing how long the player still has to wait... BUT! If you go look in my code and see how I do that, you will notice that the timer runs locally. It has NOTHING to do with the server. Absolutely NOTHING!

The timer knows that the lives get updated every 30 minutes, right? So it creates an int with a value of 1800 and subtracts 1 every second. When the value reaches 0 it contacts the server and asks "What is the current stats?" The server then tells you "You have X amount of lives and will get one more in Z seconds". My timer then simply overwrites the current lives and the timer value and calls the server again when the timer reaches 0.

So, if the player changes the time on his device and then starts to play the game, it contacts the server and the server tells it "I don't care what your device's time is. I told you, you have X amount of lives and you will get another one in Z seconds". The game then simply counts down locally and after Z seconds it contact the server again to ask "And now?"

So you see? It won't slow down anyone because you are almost never using it. Even the timer management online, I did that so it doesn't run in real time so you can easily have 10 million players playing your game but if they are not actually BUSY actually PLAYING your game AT THAT EXACT TIME, the server does 0 processing for them... You can't cheat but the server doesn't need to track the timer in real time. Only when you contact it to get a value does it do any processing for you...and then it goes back to sleep.

I hope that answers your questions... :)

28. MrDude

MrDude

$big copy.jpg

New addition to the WUSS family of products released today.

The time delay framework allows you to create server managed stats that gives players extra points after a configurable delay. Some of the nice features of this kit is that:

• You don't have to configure the stats on the website. Stats are configured inside Unity and automatically created in the database
    • Players cannot cheat by changing their device times
    • You can have as many timers as you want
    • Each timer runs independently from one another
    • Each timer can have a different duration
    • Timer values can be displayed either counting up or down
    • As always, results are available as normal int and string values so you can display the timers and the values via any GUI system you want

Asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/16503?aid=1101lGrs

29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

MrDude, thank you for your fast and clear answers.
    :)

30. MrDude

MrDude

No problems Rand :)

Right, so I've decided to run a little promotion until the end of this month... Here goes:

Everyone who contacts me on: promotions at mybadstudios dot com with their valid Asset Store invoice number for the Wordpress User Login Kit will receive a free copy of the latest version of myBad Studios Core.

Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15020?aid=1101lGrs

How is that for a decent promo? Free stuff. :D
    Once you have the Core kit it means you can buy the Core versions of my kits from here on in also meaning when there is a choice between standalone packages or their cheaper Core version alternatives, you can get the cheaper ones... A never ending discount. :)

Enjoy.

31. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

That is a nice offer from you :)

I just stumbled about another question.

What happen if a game user is not online and play three days offline by also shifting the system clock and after three days he firstly connect to the server?
    Will all of what happened rewind to the point on where the player was before the three days?

I ask this because i played clash of clans for a few days now and thought about on how i can protect cheating in this type of games with your assets.

32. MrDude

MrDude

Unfortunately, Rand, that is down to your game design...

I have played a number of games similar to that and as soon as you don't have an internet connection the game stops. It just throws out a "Connection to network lost. Please click here to reconnect" box. That is how I would recommend you do it also. Some games allow offline play (like my wife's Smurfs) but that stores different snapshots and asks her "You haven't backed up since X. Do you want to backup now" and "There is currently two saved games. Which one do you want to use" and then it just uses one or the other...

As I said, game design... How do YOU want YOUR game to work.. That is the question.

The way I look at it is "When playing an online game, make sure you are online"... It just makes sense. Think for a moment what you are asking me:
    "Hi MrDude

I see you allow me to store the player's lives online. Does that mean that if he played offline for three days that you will then delete his extra houses and you will revive his dead and you will change his score and give him back the money he spent and take back all the things he bought?

Will your kit do all of that? I know you only save his lives but does that mean you will take a snapshot of every single thing anybody in the world does for any type of game imaginable and save every single thing any player does with anything in the game and save it to the database and change anything and everything back to any point in time as appropriate?"

See what I mean? That question doesn't make 1 iota of sense. If you want to do all of that, you will need to write your own code to take care of that because every single game in the world will have different things it does/ uses/ saves. To build a game such as Clash of Clans, the best approach would be to force them to be online when they play (Unity actually has that setting in the Player settings) and each time they do something, update that action on the server so next time they log in, that action was saved... Much easier and much more accurate than trying to sync offline play...

Trying to let people play online games offline AND try to make sure their data stays in sync is probably as near to impossible as you can get. Imagine for example the following situation:
    1. I start a new game of Clash of Clans on my iPhone...
    2. I gather 10,000 gold
    3. I go offline and buy 10,000 worth of stuff including one character
    4. I then go onto my iPad and log into the game and sync up with the 10,000 gold I still have online
    5. I then go offline and buy 10,000 worth of other items and another character
    6. I then repeat the same with my wife's iPad and on her iPhone and my old iPhone laying in the closet
    7. I then go online with all devices...

How exactly do you intend to sync that?

And in that case, the fact that you used my kit to store the player's health... how would that help in that situation in any way? See what I'm getting at? What this kit does and what you are trying to do is two completely separate matters.

I will manage the stats that auto increment ( like health that automatically fills up ) and so forth and the way I do it means they can change their time as much as they want and it won't make any difference whatsoever cause I will tell THEM what their health is and I will tell them the SAME thing no matter what device they play on and what the date on their device is... but what I can't do for you (yet) is store what they have and what they have NOT bought and when (or if) you store that info online and how/ when / if you sync between online and offline play and wether or not you actually ALLOW offline play...

See how they are completely different matters? I can most definitely prevent them from cheating the stats you save using my kit, yes, but I cannot sync your entire game for you, no... :(

33. MrDude

MrDude

Rand... did you notice how I ever so subtly mentioned "what I can't do for you (yet)" in that second last paragraph? lol

Well, as of tonight I can now do that also :p I'm just making some graphics for the kit tomorrow and then the next kit is done. The one I dubbed WUPI... but I've changed the name now to WUD. Wordpress User Data.

Using this kit you can save absolutely anything you want... as long as it is a number or a string, that is... and not script. Scripting is destroyed for the sake of online security so... no scripting. :p Apart from that, go nuts...

Save settings globally to share between different games or store settings for a specific game only. Separate global or game-specific data into categories and fetch your values from the server either by field, by category, by game or fetch absolutely everything related to the player including the saved info of other games so you can give upgrades to one game from within another if you so wanted to...

Health, experience, gold... whatever... you can now store it online, safe from their cheating hands.. ;)

It'll be available on my website by tomorrow and on the Asset Store in hopefully under 2 weeks.

Imagine this workflow:
    The game starts and you log the player in... you fetch all the game's data and start the level up... each time the player buys an upgrade for the wall or buys a new character or upgrades his tower, you update the stat locally so the game continues without interruption but in the background you send that one single stat to the server and now the server knows of it... So next time he logs in, all his stats are updated. Also, now he is able to play on different devices and his data is synced between them... Send each change to the server as it happens or gather up a bunch of settings and update them all at once... also possible..

Of course, the only thing is, though... you still need to force them to be online when they play. Offline play and online syncing is not a fun task and is something I would personally avoid with as wide a berth as I can... :(

...but yeah... Wordpress User Data is ready! :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  34. MrDude

MrDude

35. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

MrDude,

I do not want to have a "do all for me" button from You, that not what i wanted to ask ;)
    But now that i understand that the game has to be online to work and checked it with clash of clans i know what to do.

I am interested in what extra plugins will come from you for wuss next :)
    Will you offer a complete kit too?

I think wuss have so much to offer and can not belive that no one will ask you questions after questions here.

36. MrDude

MrDude

Hi again

You and me both, mate, you and me both...

I guess I was wrong when I figured people might want separate plugins and only get the functionality they want instead of being forced into getting everything at once...

I have a lot of stuff planned for this system... to give you an idea:

I am currently working on a kit called Narrative. It is based off a Zynga game type and will basically allow you to make a game in a day. If you have a story written down, you have the graphics to go with it and a background track or two you can create a story based game in quite literally a day. Add in the WUTimer kit and you can turn it into a time sink game. Add in one of the many iOS payment options from the Asset Store and you have yourself a time sink game with a way to get paid for it and the game is done and ready in only a day... Now you just spend whatever time you want on polishing it up and making it look good and you can publish whenever you are ready...

Now, obviously, not everyone would be interested in a 2D, story based, time sink game but it can just as easily be used as a story mode only... or throw away the GUI and use the underlaying mechanics with a 3D scene... but again, not everyone would want that so I didn't want to force it upon anyone.

I will also be making a social system with invites and various types of "walls" etc so you can invite friends and what not.

Also a play mechanic where the more friends you have, the better your stats are... i.e. you have access to all your friend's entire arsenal so when you battle a player with , say, 59 friends and you only have 21 friends then you will only have 21 stats to add to your own stats and you are at a disadvantage. The highest powered weapon / shield of each of your friends would count towards your stats and then battle commences with your new stats vs their new stats... so the more friends you get, the better...

An inventory system in which you can not only buy and sell items within your game, but also trade and sell items with your friends. Also an entire market place where you can trade with other players... Are you seeing the possibilities here, yet? :D

And since we now have a friends system and we ARE using Wordpress, after all, I will be adding the equivalent of Facebook's WALL also. Difference being that I will not be posting all manner of crap on the walls. I will be sorting posts per game, per clan, per group etc etc etc so you can just jump on in and see what is new on the clan's message board, what did your group do while you were at work etc... And of course, there will be a personal journal in which you can post personal messages and choose who can read it, a place to place screen shots, private messages between players and what not...

As an extra bonus, I also have a very simple but effective way to make sure that ABSOLUTELY NO SPAM posts will be visible when you read threads! You know the kind... 200 words, single paragraph, absolutely nothing but keywords etc etc etc... My system will make it so that only bots even try to make such posts as humans will quickly learn there is simply no point in trying... :D Which ties in very strongly to my own custom privacy system that I will be creating for Wordpress and give the games access to.

And then I also plan on making a plugin for Wordpress so you can list all the games you created so players can discover them and start playing them also. I have LOTS planned for this... if it gets a little more popular, that is. My plan was to create lots of separate and distinct kits that can be used individually or in combination in one or more games but still offer a means of creating a unified experience. For instance, I am working on a game of my own (using Narrative) called Shadow Dragons: History which is a prelude to Shadow Dragons: Ninja Portal. By creating an account for one you already have an account for the other so you can use one login between the two games. More importantly, though, you can buy new characters in Ninja Portal or you can unlock them in History. By reaching certain parts of the story in History, you will unlock other parts of Ninja Portal and certain parts of Ninja Portal might actually unlock new volumes in History (still working out what, exactly) but yeah...

One website, multiple games, integration between the two... and future titles. You can earn currency in Ninja Portal to pay to reset the energy timers in History to complete the volume, earn a new stat and upgrade one of the Ninja Portal characters... Entirely optional, of course, but available to people who play more than one of my games...

Did I mention there is a racing game in the production pipeline also? Nothing to do with the Shadow Dragons games but still integrated... Can you imagine the surprise when they have been racing for a month, then buy Ninja Portal and suddenly find the unlocked Ninja Portal characters available as selectable characters in the racing game? The ultimate cross promotion tool... I suppose this makes it obvious that I plan on creating a WUSS version of the Custom Character system and allow you to create characters in one game and load them in the other... an avatar that follows you from game to game... :p

Those are some of what I have planned but so far it seems people are not really as interested as I thought they would be... You are the most actively interested party thus far... A few enquiries here and there but not nearly as much as I thought. Amazing...

And to answer your other question, yes, I was planning on packaging all of this up into one big package called WUSS (hence why I keep saying these are part of the WUSS system. Try and guess the full name :p ) but again, it all depends on how popular this all becomes... If people don't want this then I'll move on to something else...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  37. MrDude

MrDude

Actually... just out of curiosity...

Which of these features I mentioned above do you find the most interesting? If I were to turn this into a poll and make the kits in the order of most wanted to least wanted... what order should I make these kits in? That would be interesting to know...

Edit: Just created the poll... So let's see what you think...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This would be the first time i try to vote on the unity forum but i would like to choose more then one.
    Can not decide at the moment.

Edit:
    Even if i now voted for the 2D narrative game template i want all of the other ones too ;)
    Just voted for one because i read the "multiple choice poll" words after i only choosed one and send it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  39. MrDude

MrDude

40. MrDude

MrDude

Not technically a part of the Wordpress series but since those of you who bought any of the Wordpress kits now have the MBSCore product I thought you might like to know I just released a free kit today that makes use of the MBSCore...

It might just come in rather handy. For those of you who delved into the CML source code and looked at what that does, you might have realized that you could very easily use that a method for saving any data you like to disc or to PlayerPrefs. Those who didn't notice it, well, now I present you with a solution that you will be IMMEDIATELY familiar with... Now you can use CML to save your game's data (or any data) using a format you are already familiar with: PlayerPrefs. Except, because you use CML, you can now do a lot more than the normal PlayerPrefs allowed you to do...

You can see the announcement here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/244361-RELEASED-Free-plugin-for-MBSCore-PlayerPrefs

41. paulkh

paulkh

Hey Dude, it's an extremely innovative and useful solution here.
    I'm a wordpress fan myself. Now gotta figure out which kits to get :)

42. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Paulkh

Glad you like :) Keep an eye out for more in future...

Regarding that problem you are facing, simply get them all and then focus your attention on what to do with them, rather than wasting time and precious energy trying to pick and choose :p

See? Simple! lol

Did you vote in the poll yet?

43. danreid70

danreid70

Hi MrDude! Purchased entire set of WordPress and Core from Asset Store - just starting to play with it. I'm trying to tie a few things together in my "massively will-never-be-done online game"... lol - more of a hobby than anything - I like coding and playing WITH games in Unity than actually playing games...
    Anyway, Having an issue:
    Getting a "404 Not Found" error every time I try to log in with the demo login. I have my WordPress site set up, hosting via GoDaddy. All seems like it's working, in fact, if I register a user via the login prefab/demo scene in Unity, I can actually see in my WordPress site that it did indeed create the user. BUT, I get that "404 Not Found" debug message popping up, and never get any of the other demo scenes to work either. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong - because it seems as if it's doing the actual login attempt, as well as account creation.

Any ideas?

Oh, your idea above about leaderboard plugin from within WordPress sounds EPIC!!! Would love to see a plugin like that! You are literally making this entire aspect of my game (the entire login, account, tracking, online database portion) literally as easy as drag and drop! Literally! (did I mention literally?) lol! Anyway, you do have fans of these WordPress assets, so keep them coming! :)

44. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Dan

Firstly, thanks for the support of my work! :)

In terms of the demos not working, the only thing 8 can think of id to check each prefab and make sure "online" setting is the same on each. You won't get very far if you log in via GoDaddy and once you are logged in try to fetch the data for the other packages via localhost :p. Just look at each prefab and make sure "online" is ticked.

As to the 404 error.... That I must admit I have found on my end also and it is a great mystery to me... I get those warnings when I use the WUData kit but, even though it warns me it couldn't find the page, everything still works exactly as it should... Hence the big mystery! I consider it an informal notification, nothing more, but as far as informal goes this is by far the most nerve wrecking of "Don't worry about it" messages I can conceive of :p the good news is, though, that you don't have to worry about it :p

Lol

Having said that, though, I recently had another customer on GoDaddy who could not get the WUData demo to work. It turns out there actually WAS a bug in the Wordpress plugin. I then fixed it and uploaded a new version of the WUData to the store. If you are having problems with the WUData kit, please follow these steps to resolve them and then let's see what happens :)

1. Download the latest copy of WUData from the asset store (install in a new project to make sure the zip is copied into the project)
    2. In your dashboard, deactivate and then remove the WUData plugin
    3. Reinstall the plugin using the zip file from the new copy of WUData

Now everything should work just fine... :)

45. danreid70

danreid70

I re-downloaded and re-installed all the plugins and even the Core framework - alas, to no avail -- still the dreaded "404..." error, and after trying to login or register a new account, the login does actually connect to my WordPress, but I get the "404..." and the other demo modules never start up - the login panel stays there as if I'm not logged in. I checked the "Online" box on all gameobjects as I tested each demo scene, and ensured everything was set up correctly. It's weird... Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope!... (sorry, left over May the Forth Be With You residue... lol)

46. MrDude

MrDude

Hi again

Could you add me on skype, please? My name is mybadstudios. I will have to look at your system while it is running cause there is some freaky S*** going on. Again, that 404 is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with anything. Each of the kits only access 1 script. That is that! That means that if you can crete an account then clearly it can find the one script it is using so the login kit shuold give you no problems of any kind. Once login is successful (i.e. you get the statusmessage in the bottom of the screen that tells you your login was a success) the login panel will close and the other kits can have their day in court... In fact, none of the other kits do anything at all UNLESS the login kit was successful in logging in...

See the mystery here? There is only one script to find and there is only 1 function that calls it so if the one function that calls the one file to create the account can find the file then there is no way that the same function calling the same file will tell you "Sorry, now the file is no longer on your website". Now, if that function that found the one file finds that same file the second time you call that same function to go look for the same file DOES find that your login attempt was successful, it will then tell the kit to close itself and THAT will also trigger any other package to start...

See why I am saying you have some strange voodoo going on on your end? You are saying that either the function that find the one single file it calls can find the file but only now and then and the rest of the time the file magically appears and disappears from your website... unlikely... Or you are saying that when the login was successful, the function that closes the kit and triggers the rest BY closing, triggers the rest but doesn't close to do so... That just doesn't make any sense...

So yeah, please meet me on Skype and let me see if I can find out what kind of voodoo has beset your pc :p

Edit:
    If you can't join me on Skype, here is what I recommend:
    Start a new project and import ONLY the login package if you have the standalone version or install the login kit and MBSCore. Start the demo scene and confirm that it works. Once you know it works, install one of the other packages and run that package's demo. Confirm that it works. Etc. Once you see it stops working, contact me on support [at] mybadstudios [dot] com and tell me which package is giving you grief. That would be a good start, I reckon...

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  47. MrDude

MrDude

Okay, the mystery continues... I am now able to prevent that 404 error from happening. It seems Wordpress doesn't like it when you pass "name" as a parameter... How is that for weird?

I tracked down the error message to happening while loading the Wordpress headers. After the headers are loaded my script runs and does exactly what it has to do so everything works exactly as expected. The only problem is that Wordpress has already written 404 to the response header and that data is already sent before I even get to it so after my script runs and it does what it has to do, Unity receives the 404 header reports that something went wrong, even though my script ran perfectly...

So, to fix this 404 error and to prove that is not the cause of your issue, simply open up WUDataDemo.cs and find function GenerateDemoData()
    Now simply locate this bit of code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. cmlData data = new cmlData();
    2. data.Set("name", game_names[gid -1]);
    3. WUData.UpdateCategory("", data, gid);
    and change "name" to anything else.... voila... no more 404 warning...

I have just tried something and that works perfectly so I will update the WULogin package shortly. Basically, all I do is, before I load the Wordpress header, I save the value of "name" if set, then destroy the variable and after the headers have loaded I just recreate the name variable...

So, problem identified and fixed. For now, do not use the word "name" as a variable name or else it will print a false warning message... See? Nothing too worry about. I told you :)

48. MrDude

MrDude

One thing you could try, though... :p

If you are running this kit in the editor, make sure your build setting is NOT set to WebPlayer...

Web players handle cookies differently from other platforms and you cannot use the WUSS system from the editor when building a web player. Build it and run it from your browser and it will work just fine, but not in the editor...

In the editor set it to Desktop and then hit play

49. danreid70

danreid70

MrDude, you are a genius! I'll try that as soon as I can - sleeping day away with a nasty flu or something. Tried setting up but just too exhausted to try it tonight. I'm sure that will work, and I'll post my results as soon as I'm well enough (I think I caught this from my son, now I know how miserable he was feeling last few days).

Anyway: awesome work with these assets and the WP plugins! I've been thinking of tons of uses for all of them - it's amazing how easy you made this! I'd held off for so long on coding my own login and tracking system, using straight PHP AND MySQL, because I knew what a hassle it was going to be. Now you come along with this effortless system, which does everything I want and SO MUCH MORE! And tying it to a CMS like WordPress, for a truly clean and powerful website as the back end/front end at the same time! Brilliant!!!

A cool leaderboard object from within WordPress that could just be added to a page... That's the one thing I can think of that I'd really want.

THANK YOU MrDude and keep up the amazing work!
    --Dan

50. MrDude

MrDude

You are most welcome, mate :)
    ...now if you would just paste that section in the reviews box... :p lol :D

Just to be clear here... you are asking for a plugin FOR Wordpress that will display the leaderboards on your page, right? Cause I was planning on making one mother of a settings page once I have all the various kits done. I do NOT want to go and add content to one page then add more stuff to the same page for another kit when I cannot guarantee who will have which kits... Can you imagine two scripts each trying to create the same menu item or two scripts each depending on the other one existing... Argh!

So instead I planned on making a standalone Wordpress kit that just features everything and do that once everything is done so I can better plan what to actually add to where and figure out the dependencies and what not... Each kit on their own then one big settings environment when it's all done... That's the plan.

For now I am focussing on 0 configuration on the customer's end but we all know how much we all love options, huh? :p Stuff to tweak and what not :p So it is coming... eventually. Feel free to drop requests like those so I know what you are all after... :)

Glad you are enjoying the kits, mate. :)
    Get well soon.

Last edited: May 21, 2014