Search Unity

Use windows to dev and Mac to build, is possible ?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by yruama69, May 26, 2018.

1. yruama69

yruama69

Hello,

I want to create a game and publish it on appStore.
    My girlfriend have a mac but i cant' use it to code so i want to know if it's possible to code the game on windows and use the mac only to build the app.

I know that i can choose iOS in the build settings on windows but i don't know if it's a good idea.
    Plus, this is possible to test the game on my device like on an android with the remote app ?

Thanks !

TheCreative likes this.
  2. ludum_mubul

ludum_mubul

Yes, you can all this things and iOS platform should be selected, if you developing for iOS platform. As result of build, you will get xcode project, which should be opened in xcode on mac and do build there.

3. tng2903mm

tng2903mm

Use git, then develop on your Windows machine, do most of your test on Android for faster iteration. Then, when you feel that the game is ok, checkout the project (by git or just copy) on the MacOS machine. Switch and build for iOS there.

jashan likes this.
  4. mgear

mgear

5. jashan

jashan

Just as a heads up: It does seem like at least with Unity 2017.4.5f1, when doing an iOS build (to Xcode project) on Windows, the result is different from the Xcode project generated by Unity when running on Mac OS X. In my case, the Xcode project I had created with Unity on Windows did not compile (and I wasn't able to fix it) but the version built with Unity on the Mac worked just fine.

So ... you should almost certainly follow @tng2903mm 's advice: Install Unity both on your Windows machine and on your gf's Mac. Do the main part of development on the Windows machine but every once in a while, run a test build with Unity on the Mac.

Also, I'd recommend doing "real iOS builds" even early in development, and sporadically throughout development, because sometimes, there are really strange issues with Unity where things work just fine on one platform (e.g. Android), and then you switch to iOS, and it all falls apart. Better to discover those early in the process ...

6. TheCreative

TheCreative

I'm just starting out with unity. I have a PC & I didn't realize until I started to develop that I would need the mac in order output for IOS. So, when I installed Unity I only installed for IOS. Do I need to re-install unity and add Android SDK to test my app? Or is there a way that I can download the android reader without having re install unity again.... if this makes sense?

7. ludum_mubul

ludum_mubul

just select android platform and there will appear button with link to download unity android stuff to build on android.

8. Akeronz

Akeronz

Worked for me, thanks rx_xel