Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Use Unity 2019 without Unity Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Apr 21, 2019.

1. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

2. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @joeksy
    Could you please explain this some more? I could find this super useful, as unity hub no longer works for me.
    Untitled.jpg :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @indieDoroid,

Unfortunately we don't support older versions of the Hub. Did you submit a bug report for the issue you're experiencing? We could help you troubleshoot it and hopefully have you up and running with the latest version :D. If you haven't I suggest you do now and post your tracking number here or through direct messages.

Best,

4. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  5. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

You're welcome! And please don't hesitate to report an issue if the Hub is preventing you from opening Unity!

Cheers,

6. bugfinders

bugfinders

Commercially I spend a lot of time trying to sit on the fence. So. You’re accusing them of stealing a lot of data (your words) so have you actually checked what they send to google? How much physical and actual data. The content?

What if they are simply using google analytics to monitor package/assets etc (as after all we pay often for a seat license it wouldn’t be unreasonable to be checking we aren’t sharing or using stuff we didn’t pay for) what if that’s where a lot of the unity services are hosted eg colab/analytics/build etc

I’m not defending unity as it would be good to know but you have hijacked a thread about not running hub but the evidence is the editor is sending data. Not hub.

7. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

I do notice when I have Unity running, I get an additional 10 SVCHOST.EXE running in the task manager and my HDD starts firing up the fans like a jet plane. Regardless of spying, data mining, data analysis for improving Unity or data being sent to who-knows-where, this slows down my actual production work. (Possibly the case for others as well)

Which isn't great?

8. bugfinders

bugfinders

did you exclude the project file area from your antivirus? Or unity install area?

9. ZpherCosti

ZpherCosti

The new unity looks terrible any way I, personally, am going back to the 2018 version, good luck to all!

10. _geo__

_geo__

A story* of caution to all who change networks frequently while using unity (simply don't do it).

Today I could not start my project anymore because I was stuck in an endless loop which went like this:
    1) Click Unity 2019.4.1f1 on my Win10 machine (Target Android)
    2) Hub Shows (I am logged in, license etc. okay)
    3) I click my project
    4) Hub closes
    5) Unity SplashScreen
    6) Unity Hub starts again
    7) done (go to step 1). No editor, started just the hub. Repeated the process, same result every time, it never opens the project (rebooting, relogin, adding "-projectPath", flushdns etc. etc. tried, nothing helped).

What was causing it you may ask?
    Well, foolish me changed networks (from cable to wifi), cable was broken, had to replace it. Once I switched back to cable it started working again (both Wifi and cable connect to the same router). Verified with a few testruns, Wifi On & Cable Off = Hub Loop, Wifi Off & Cable On = happy Hub. I've got to say that WiFi and Cable have different DNS IPs in the settings. So maybe that's causing it but this should never ever be an issue.

I love you Unity, but honestly, keep your broken DRM Hub to yourself!

* This message was written in an angered state and I appologize, but *&$/! I am not happy at the moment. And NO I don't want a Unity employee to tell me to "please submit a bug report". I want to rant, because this is ridiculous. Maybe I'll submit one later.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  11. wildmoos

wildmoos

12. willyumoliver_unity

willyumoliver_unity

question, is there a way to access assets without unity hub. When I click on open in unity editor on the asset it doesn't show up in package manager anymore along with the rest of my assets.

13. pavel_in

pavel_in

In the ideal world: user just clicks on the pinned button in the taskbar - and last opened project is opened. Simple as that. But now you have to wait when additionally Hub will be loaded, after that you select project in the list, after that you wait when Unity will be loaded (and sometimes it just won't). Very inconvenient.

14. Yesbird

Yesbird

First of all - Unity is a great engine and I love it - using it many years, but now using it without Hub for the reasons described above, and:

1. Can not add existing project - list is always empty without any messages
    2. Creating new project and copying existent to new folder woks, but after restarting OS projects list empty again

Without hub following limitations blocks my developent:

1. It is not possible to login without hub, so services (IAP) can not be started
    2. Installing new packeges also not possible without hub
    3. When I launching Unity editor hub starts too (!) - why ?

I tried to launch hub with Administrator permissions - no success.
    I am tired to click on the same buttons again and again - want to write code and move my project forward.

I suppose this is an issue of critical level - please fix it !

------------------------------
    Win 7/SP1
    Unity 2019.3.6.f1
    Hub 2.4/2

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  15. Yesbird

Yesbird

Another one issue: when installing the newest version of Unity via hub I am getting the following error: "Unity requires Windows 7 or later". I have Windows 7/SP1.

Any help, please !

16. bugfinders

bugfinders

ms dropped support for win7 beginning of the year. Buy a supported version of windows?

17. Yesbird

Yesbird

If Unity dropped support for Win7 too ?

18. asdasd123123234

asdasd123123234

i dont wanna use hub, can anyone send me cracked unity exe??

19. TheDimebog

TheDimebog

Can someone please help me??? How can i use Unity 2019 without the hub given that I can not open any existing projects with the hub no matter what I do? It is said that using Unity on its own is possible, but HOW??

Can someone here PLEASE be helpful?

20. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

21. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

That doesn't work though, does it? It won't do what they're asking for - you do realise that your own teams blocked this already, before 2019?

You've shared a link to a different version (2017) that solves a different problem (installation, not project-opening).

I just wish Unity staff would stop denying what Unity has done here: the Hub is forced on all of us, even with all the bugs it adds, and with some core Editor features *still* missing 4 years later, for no apparent reason other than controlling licence access and up-selling Unity add-ons. Fine, but ... the Hub teams have spent years ignoring the bugs and pretending that hub-installations are perfect (they are still broken in lots of small ways). All we need is for Unity to admit that's what it's about, that the hub is now required for political reasons (side-effecti: it will never be allowed to be bypassed), and then take responsibility for fixing the bugs.

We may not like it (those of us who used Unity pre-Hub are unhappy that the experience is now - forever! - inferior to what it used to be, that Unity chose to make a step backwards in usability), but we can accept it (Unity chose a poor approach to licensing, but no-one minds that license checks are required (I think?)).

(there is a command-line workaround that can get 2019 to launch without the hub, but (from memory!) it still uses the hub to open projects - I had previous problems where a bug in the Hub corrupted a project, and I eventually had to hand-edit the project files so that Hub would stop crashing, but there was no way to 'not' use the hub)

Noisecrime likes this.
  22. Simon-O

Simon-O

I don't want to have yet another thing to update constantly, I don't want Unity trying to monetise my desktop (done any recent deals with LEGO by any chance?) and I don't want something that tried to run full-time consuming resources when I'm not even touching Unity.

23. Simon-O

Simon-O

Having to use the command line because you've intentionally crippled existing functionality IS the UX issue.

nospamthx_unity likes this.
  24. mgear

mgear

vitaly452 and a436t4ataf like this.
  25. ea_tm

ea_tm

So how do I choose what type of new project I wish to create in the editor? Right now, as soon as I choose new project, it automatically creates a new 3d project (and I want to create a 2d project)

26. mgear

mgear

27. frbrz

frbrz

IT IS NOT.
    If you don't have the hub, you can't sign in into your own account and download the assets you paid for.

28. frbrz

frbrz

This is very important too. You can't even create a new project without the hub, wich isn't working for a lot of people. The hub is very buggy. There are tons of posts of people in Windows, Mac and Linux who say they can't even get the Unity Hub to run.

29. frbrz

frbrz

Are you serious? Stop with you abussive behaviour. This is the second time you are mocking people. People are trying to use the forum in order to get help. The IT department doen't even answer people who are not paying seats.

30. frbrz

frbrz

This is completely false. You can't use the package manager to download the assets you paid for, you can't sign-in, you can't use services, you can't even create a new project.

31. amalnathsathyan

amalnathsathyan

32. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

If you want to be launching your project without Unity Hub you can create a OS shortcut and add your project path as an argument.
    upload_2022-4-24_9-28-56.png

Then go to shortcut, click Properties. Click or tap inside the Target text field, and add -projectPath argument to it, at the end of the line, pointing to your project directory path.

christh likes this.
  33. bernardinus

bernardinus

Hi, I also have the same problems in Unity 2019.

Just found out about this thread today, waiting almost 27 days in support only get info "Unfortunately, the problem seems the be the user's MacOS version. The minimum requirement for MacOS is 10.13" by email from unity support team.

Help me a little bit, I read that the requirement for Unity Hub minimum is still 10.12+ and didn't change as of 27 April 2022

Source: https://unity.com/download

And the requirement for Unity 2019.4.38 minimum is still 10.12+

Source: https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2019.4.38

Can the UnityHub Team help me with how to run Unity 2019.4.38 in MacOS 10.12.6?
    And how to sign in to Asset Store from Unity 2019.4.38 in MacOS 10.12.6?

Or all the uses access in Unity must be in macOS 10.13+, because I'm getting black screen every time I launch the latest UnityHub version in macOS 10.12.6

34. Tudor

Tudor

Narrator, 2023: "they lied"

BTW the VPN issue is tied to them (unity) not being able to find out your network adapter. Why on earth they made their unity hub / licensing cling so much to network adapters doesn't make any sense. I won't get into details why network adapters are irrelevant, but rather point out that literally no other licensed software has this issue/limitation.

35. newlife

newlife