Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Use Unity 2019 without Unity Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think Unity Hub is useless.
    Who installs a separate software only to load projects? I mean, it's ridiculous!

Using Unity Hub must be optional. For someone like me who only uses one Unity version at a time, Going through Unity Hub doesn't do me any favor.

frbrz, lunityc, sfv97 and 18 others like this.
  2. hansmbakker

hansmbakker

Cross-quote from different topic:

3. MechEthan

MechEthan

It IS completely optional. You can find the direct download links here, by clicking the drop-down for your OS platform: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

The problem is they completely hide the direct download links from the primary update page. I personally feel that using Hub is a better experience for most users, but I don't think tricking people into thinking it's the only option is great.

Going through the Hub is still useful for:
    • Launching projects directly into a specific Target Platform instead of the previous. (Devs targeting multiple platforms do this a lot.)
    • Installing upgrades without having to dig around on the website.
    • Managing installed components without having to dig up the original installer file.

At the rate Unity publishes updates -- at least SIX in a month, excluding any betas -- managing this through 3rd party stores is a waste of resources for an inferior result, in my opinion. You have no control over the turnaround from submission to published and full availability. If Unity released updates like, once every month or two, this option would make a lot more sense.

This, I agree 100% with. Half of the things I use Unity Hub for (project & target platform switching) feel like they could be natively implemented in the Unity Editor instead. Visual Studio (Windows) is a great example of how to do this right. (I find it maddening that I can't launch the Unity Editor without a project chosen/being-loaded.)

If they did that, then all I would continue to use Hub for is managing the 3 different installs I'm constantly updating and jumping between.

The only upside to Hub providing this functionality is it lets them iterate on the Hub feature-set independently of Unity releases, without having to use Unity's unpleasant IMGUI APIs, and lets them provide new functionality to the older LTS releases.

4. MostHated

MostHated

The less time developers have to spend trying to independently manage version, releasing updates, posting them to the site, dealing with posts like this, the more time they can dedicate to the things that actually matter, such as working on the engine.

That being said, I think the hub is great. Instead of having to go to the site, look for the downloads area, find the version I want, download it, install it, I only have to click on it in the hub and hit install, to download and install it within a matter of 2-3 minutes and I am ready to go along with the different platform extensions for each one, and (previously but hopefully again) adding assets to my new projects before I even get them opened so I can skip having to fight with the slow store.

5. Jargs

Jargs

That's a website UX failure. There's no reason to "fix" an unusable website by requiring everyone to download an entirely separate hub app.

I have no problems with the hub existing. I'm sure it's extremely helpful for a lot of developers, but for the rest of us, it would be really simple to provide an easy to find download link for the stanalone installer as an optional alternative.

6. transat

transat

Rather than pushing for some Hub features to be in the editor, I think the answer is to make the Hub actually do useful things. @Jargs the UX failure is with more than just the website.

Why can’t Unity move the asset store from the editor to the hub, make it an asset browser, move these forums and Unity Community stuff there (and improve these dramatically). In other words, I’m spending too much time going from an asset’s web forum, to the asset’s Unity forum, to the asset’s Discord - simply because none of these have satisfactory functionality. So what I would like is an actual HUB, managed by Unity, and which addresses some of the massive UX problems with our current setup. There is so much that could be done with the Hub!

Marko2155, EvOne and MechEthan like this.
  7. Nicate

Nicate

You also need Unity Hub to create new projects. 2019 can do it on its own, but the result is very subpar. It creates a pre-5.0 project without any installation options, and names it "New Unity Project".

Looks like you also need it to use the Asset Store from inside the editor, although not for free assets it seems.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    frbrz and EvOne like this.
  8. Frienbert

Frienbert

I downloaded Unity from the archive but when you launch the program it says you need Unity Hub to authenticate. I cant use Unity Hub because of all the firewalls at work. How do I get around this? I am using the free version of Unity.

9. Talk to the IT department.

10. Nicate

Nicate

Does Unity still provide the option to not log in when starting the application? You used to be able to skip that step.

11. WarpZone

WarpZone

You can avoid logging in, but if you're not logged in, you can't download assets.

2019's purpose is to force the Hub on users.

jakzun2011 and Longer224 like this.
  12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone!

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We try to accommodate most people's workflows without being in your way (too much).
    That said we are not going back to the classic launcher within Unity. We are trying to move as much code away from the Editor that isn't directly related to producing content with the engine. That way, when a new Unity version comes out, you don't need to re-download the same project/user/license management code all the time.
    Right now Unity can still be completely installed and opened by itself, but know that we are slowly moving away from this as the Hub matures. It doesn't mean your user experience needs to be bad though. As @transat mentioned, please help us make the Hub a better application by giving feedback and letting us know what bothers you or what you would like to change. We try to be as receptive as possible to the community so don't hesitate to report issues or post in the forums!

I hope to hear from all of you and I'll be happy to respond to any questions, comments or concerns.

Best,

Lightning_A, joeksy and ashleysimpson like this.
  13. asgarcia

asgarcia

Abraham,
    I cannot install a unity version through the Unity Hub, on my work network or my home network. It simply sits forever and does nothing. I am trying to fix the minimum api level in the player settings, it is blank and cannot be changed and somehow reverts to level 16 when trying to build. I had none of these issues until Unity Hub. We have projects we are working on and are stuck.

Sekhon11, frbrz and lunityc like this.
  14. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@asgarcia,
    If the Hub is preventing you from working on a project I suggest you quit the Hub from the Tray and simply use Unity by itself. Once you're ready to try using it again, backup/rename your "C:\Program Files\Unity" folder (if that's where you installed Unity before) and try installing Unity through the Hub again. The Hub needs to access this folder to install Editors and it may be one of the causes for your current issues.

If you are still experiencing issues then, please submit a bug through the Hub's Bug Reporter ("Report a Bug" option in the tray menu) and we'll have a look at your logs and investigate your download/install problem more closely.

Cheers,

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can download and install everything you need without using Unity Hub. Just open the release notes appropriate to your project, download them, and install them. Once they're installed you can just point Unity Hub at the folder where everything is installed.

https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  16. quixadhal

quixadhal

Why does the editor not have a "check for updates" entry in the menu, like every other software package has had since about 1995? You shouldn't need a "hub" application NOR should you need to poke around a website. This isn't rocket science.

Developers usually don't like wasting time on things that feel redundant. When I feel like working on a project (for any kind of thing), I usually want to open the editor, pick "open project", and get to work... not fart around with layers of wrappers to finally get to the editor.

DR_Studio likes this.
  17. Map-Builder

Map-Builder

Keep having again and again problems launching my prototype, T_T
    note before AND after upgradin to .14

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  18. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Map-Builder can you report a bug using the "Report a Bug" option in the Tray menu? We'll have a look at your logs and investigate.

19. TheWarper

TheWarper

Hub is broken on latest update and can't open projects, just closes after splash screen

20. rohitdesai

rohitdesai

hub suddenly stopped working with proxy. not able to log in into hub, there is no log file present in my system too. I am helpless to load editor because even that will not pass proxy if I launch it.

iriguchi likes this.
  21. TheWarper

TheWarper

Can bypass by opening from scene file directly and deleting 2019 versions of engine

22. rohitdesai

rohitdesai

thanks for response, I tried opening direct scene file but it tried to open unity editor and unity hub at a same time.

23. rohitdesai

rohitdesai

24. iriguchi

iriguchi

2.2.0 has no problem with proxy.
    2.2.1 has problem with proxy......

My college find the 2.0.2 installer.
    And I install it then everything works fine now.

Thanks

25. TheWarper

TheWarper

26. TheWarper

TheWarper

@Unity team, I'd like to see archived versions of the hub provided to help circumvent this issue. Is everyone on vacation or something?

27. TheWarper

TheWarper

Tudor and mdrunk like this.
  28. TheWarper

TheWarper

rohitdesai likes this.
  29. DR_Studio

DR_Studio

I'm pretty late to the party but is there a way I can buy an asset without this stupid hub? There have been times where we were sharing a project file and it keeps saying that we were using different versions of the same version. The hub is useless to be honest. If they wanted to move more things way from the editor then they could simply still allow people to sign in and purchase but let us decide what we don't want in it upon installation or even uninstall additional features.

This is a terrible push to 'iPhone' people into product recognition at the expense of our patience, workflow, and precious time.

pavel_in and Tudor like this.
  30. RussScott

RussScott

I love Unity but, damn, does Hub suck balls.

a436t4ataf and DR_Studio like this.
  31. MostHated

MostHated

I don't understand the issue. I think the hub is great. Being able to manage all my projects and different version installs, as well as all of the additional features of them and having them automatically download and install in just a click, and only having to deal with one login (barely ever) as opposed to having to login to each version, is great.

safaGH likes this.
  32. DR_Studio

DR_Studio

1) When I open 2018.3 it shows files for all versions of Unity that it can see.
    2) It also shows which version all files were made in.
    Unity already does what the hub supposedly does except the hub forces you to use it by restricting asset store access if you don't have it installed on the newer versions of Unity. Growing up in an era where bloatware was a bad thing and spam was unwanted, this add on program is a nuisance at best and a headache for people who just want to use one version and also import assets. There are a few people I've run into who are just buying from developer stores (some in protest) because of this shoehorning.

Tudor likes this.
  33. Tudor

Tudor

UnityHub is an always on always online (or often online (every time you're deauthenticated, download an asset, switch editors etc)) service that monitors where you are and god knows what about what you're running, never closing itself. Everyone thinks that's fine. Cool. It's an amazing platform. Think only happy thoughts. Great. Not here to argue with them. But Unity, why doesn't it work through VPNs? Many people have no choice but to be on networks on a VPN.

At 2 of my universities no students can download the Unity Hub or Unity or dl anything through the unity hub, OR EVEN LOG INTO UNITY, because it won't work if you're (or your uni is / must be) on a VPN. In addition to classes involving unity, there are game jams with 1000+ participants from all over, where they have to go home to download unity or just to log in. And this is in a western 1st world country.

I "understand" that you want to be able to track us as orwellianly as possible (just on the unity download page there's facebook's shadowprofile evercookie, eloqua, and hotjar, in addition to google analytics (-which should be enough)), but hey at least still provide the damn service!

PS: Last year we were at a giant game jam, and a Unity representative was like "Just for you, you can now download these awesome AAA asset packs (which had compilation errors) FOR FREE, put by Unity on the asset store and normally cost so much AAA moneys!" Except nobody could download any assets on campus ❤

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  34. DR_Studio

DR_Studio

VPN is very popular these days and in some countries it's almost mandatory. I didn't know it went that far, but I will be using a VPN so I will stick to a workaround for now.

35. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Yeah, sadly - no.

e.g. 2019 can't open projects any more. Literally: can't run the editor standalone. If you try, the application quits itself (!) and force-opens the Hub.

I have literaly tens of projects (ignore my game projects, just look at asset-store asset development: Unity requires us to have typically 10 copies of every project if you're maintaining an asset) and it makes my life actively harder every time I have to open something through the hub. The Hub is a terrible failure of design for anyone except people with tiny numbers of projects and very simple needs - it doesn't even handle Editor installs correctly (it's been several years and this is still fundamentally broken. The hub forces you to actually delete/uninstall 5-10GB of all the Editor you already had, and then re-download and install it all. That is not a benefit to anyone).

That was absolutely fine when it was an optional gimmick for people with simple needs, and everyone else - advanced users, etc - who were extremely happy and confident with UnityEditor and maintaining multiple versions - could carry on working effectively. Now ... they can't.

This is where a lot of "Hub Hate" comes from: Unity took something that worked perfectly, and then blocked it - which comes across as petty and malicious every time it gets in the way of doing actual work.

36. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    I would like to note it is still possible to operate the Unity Editor directly using the command line without the Hub.
    One of the non-noticeable advantages of the Hub is to move the bytes outside of the Editor, reducing the space the redundant launcher integrated eat up with each of the Editor.

We would like to hear more over the exact UX issue with the Hub in comparison to the phased out launcher.

37. dcarl661

dcarl661

Might be optional, but you will find that unity 19x is restricted and requires the hub - see attached image, which invoked when I tried up update my assets for an imported project upgrade from 18X.

This is not good. In my 30 years as a mission critical apps/system programmer, when a system needs to marshal the programmer tools its a yellow flag.
    This is usually because of flaws such as the terrible android studio dev environments, where its constantly updating in the background to the point your system starts crawling and you have to reboot.

I routinely have multiple dev environments running, 3 visual studios 2 or three android studios, visual studio code b/c when you get to real multiple project systems that's the way your going to end up coding.

So yet again "fighting the tools" is going to become part of the project
    Dave Carlson
    Valencia, Ca.

19requireshub.PNG

38. dcarl661

dcarl661

And when you find out that you can load unity without the hub, get ready because you'll find that some options pop up a dialog requiring the hub anyway.

39. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

What do you mean by this? (last couple of times I tried, you quickly run into places where the Editor self-quits and forces you to use the Hub).

Perhaps you could explain to us how - share a link, point to the docs, etc? (docs can't be found by googling - any search results that might help are drowned by the mass of complaints against the Hub)

Post-hub, each version of Unity uses about 10GB (this is a typical minimal install - I believe the full install is something like 25-40GB?). Since Unity requires us to keep every major version installed at once (at minimum! e.g. for 2019.3 we have to store many of the minor versions too, because 2019.3.x keeps breaking core functionality that worked in previous point releases), I have most of a 1TB hard disk set asided just for the Unity Editor installs. This isn't optional, so I feel confident in calling it standard practice by now.

How much is the Hub "reducing the space" usage here? The "redundant launcher" seems to me it would be less than a fraction of a fraction of a percent of space. It's hard to see how that's an "advantage".

I've been using Unity since version 3 (10 years now) and there's only two minor things in Hub that are a feature or functionality improvement over what we already had - and those are nice to have! - but everything else is a downgrade. To lose a useful, working, efficient tool in favour of an inefficient, less useful, harder to use tool ... just to get two tiny features (that were easy enough to do by hand) ... is a massive loss.

Any question that asks for "one" issue and characterises it as a "UX issue" is missing the point: it's the entire app - it's a lower-quality, slower, harder to use downgrade of what we had before. That's fine if it's optional: junior developers and people with simple needs should use it as the "beginner" version of Unity. Everyone else needs a lot more: starting with "what we already had that worked".

40. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I know no-one at Unity cares about this, but to give a small flavour of how annoying and unwanted the Hub is ... here's off the top of my head things I've experienced in the past few weeks alone:

0. It's slooooooow. Every time I click to open it I have to wait 5 seconds or so for it to redraw - you can even see it flash it's own window white then grey, as it gradually draws the Window, then gradually loads its own data. This would be fine for an optional app we rarely run - but for the app that BLOCKS us from using the Editor, it's not acceptable. For the previous decade, you just clicked on your Desktop, or Start>Run, but Unity doesn't allow anyone to do that now, you force us to wait for the Hub. (The Editor startup is annoyingly badly designed and slow too - but I'd rather Unity staff spent time fixing that ... than making a new Hub app that now also needs fixing because it's made things even worse).
    1. The hub installs each Unity instance in a place of its choice (you can choose the parent folder, but not the Unity folder). As far as I can tell ... you cannot change this later (it broke the hub last time I tried, it would be nice to hear this is now fixed, but given how much of the Hub has bugs for basic stuff like this I'm assuming it's not fixed, and I'm not going through that pain again to find out)
    2. When "adding" installs, the hub forgets the folder you told it to use for installs, and everytime the dialog is opened, you have to manually navigate back to it again. (Super basic, super easy to fix, but also: basic feature of Windows apps for the last 30 years, shouldn't have slipped through original code design)
    3. The hub is incompatible with the Editor installer - if you install Unity, the Hub refuses to let you use that version of the Editor ever again for anything except opening projects (Hub refuses to add/remove plugins etc. This is a major problem if/when Unity teams decide to delete the Editor-side config for add-ons - Android in particular: it can't be managed from the Editor any more, only from the hub ... but the Hub refuses to manage it ... so you have to delete the entire Editor and re-install from scratch via the Hub)
    4. Hub "force upgrades" itself: this is infuriating. The whole point of versions is so that the developer decides when - and if! - they can afford the risk of Unity introducing regression bugs. It's a basic rule of professional development: manage your tool versions, never upgrade without testing first (and reading the upgrade/release notes in detail). For Unity to decide to randomly overwrite a working Hub install with a potentially non-working one (has happened, continues to happen) is completely unacceptable ... especially since it now locks us out of the Editor! (workaround: firewall and sandbox the Hub as if it were malware ... lock it down so that Unity can't do this irresponsible stuff)
    5. The Hub has zero sorting/management/categorization/etc of projects - and it ignores the hard-disk management of projects. Everything here worked, for 10+ years, until the Hub came along and broke it all. Great if you're a newbie programmer with only MyFirstProject in the Hub - but a nightmare if you do any sigificant amount of work with Unity.

...etc. If I had to sit down and spend a day working with the Hub I'm sure I'd run into many more. I do what I can to avoid using it as much as possible.

The sad thing is: when it works (not crashing, not giving bizarre error messages that you have to keep retrying and hoping for an emergency auto-update to fix) ... it has some nice visual design, and it has a nice feature that you can see which version of Unity last opened each project. But these don't make up for all the things it makes worse.

pavel_in likes this.
  41. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Given how negative my last two posts sound, I want to add:

The Hub looks nice, it's welcoming to new users. For simple uses it's probably great. If it were optional, I would be in favour of it - more stuff to help newcomers get into Unity.

Further: assuming Unity planned to add features over time then it could be a great intro for people coming fresh to Unity.

But this is a thread about trying to avoid using it (for all the good reasons listed above), and it's depressing that Unity Tech seems to think "take away what worked, force everyone to use tools inferior to what they already had, and introduce new bugs that you force down everyone's throats" is the right path to follow.

42. alamgirfarhad

alamgirfarhad

Can I install directly Unity 3D Editor (latest version) in my MacBook, without installing Unity Hub?

43. bugfinders

bugfinders

how about ACL. work policies prevent it running properly, it doesnt like running the package manager, or installing from hub, or starting without admin rights but if you run hub that way it doesnt pass on to unity.... which we dont have well we do we have to run it through an app that logs we did it but we cant start unity from the command line/explorer because it opens hub and says not valid application..

2019.2 used to work.. today it does not.. we cannot get the corporation policies changed for this

44. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

In order to open the Editor directly bypassing the Hub, the Editor needs to be open in a project. Meaning creates or opens a project is required as arguments.
    -createProject <pathname>
    -projectPath <pathname>

Hope this helps

hecker_de and a436t4ataf like this.
  45. MarkerMarker

MarkerMarker

What I missed from the hub is that it would be able to resume downloads when internet connections are interrupted. Have lately seen this "incomplete download" one time too often and its irritating to experience when building torrent like features for download updates are so easy to implement in today's projects.

46. browne11

browne11

Doing a bypass on hub as it doesn't open up projects anymore. It just gets stuck on splash screen. Using the latest release. I've not tested other versions.

47. wahlerdigital

wahlerdigital

I really don't need another app running in my dock every time I open Unity. I deleted the Hub, I can manage the Unity version to load on my own. Problem solved? Nope. You have drag the Hub out of the trash can in order to download paid for assets from the asset store then pop it in the trash again. If you don't keep it in the trash, the Hub automatically opens when manually launching Unity 2019.4. I think a rethink on the Hub needs to happen. Clearly not everyone wants to have two apps running in GUI mode just to work with Unity.

pavel_in likes this.
  48. bugfinders

bugfinders

While part of another thread due to proxy servers it seems any version past 2019.2.21 does something different with package manager, and as a result will not open for love nor money on that work machine. No, work will not open all their proxy stuff just for unity, funny, hub etc can get if theres a new version, but cant download anything, with proxy settings and even the unity_noproxy package manager still heads off into space and wont start, so while this is a bypass hub thread, even starting it direct doesnt resolve all issues

49. darkStar27

darkStar27

@joesky @AbrahamDUnity
    Since you do care about UX. It's been over a year now since the resume capability has been request and still there's no change in the hubs downloading process. Still the same crap.

You should really work on this or I would have to stop using Hub to download Unity (Its just that I find it convenient but mind numbingly irritating). I mean it works fine in my office where I have a 100 Gb/s connection but since I have been W.F.H the Wifi I have is slow like 10Mb/s tops and I have to download it more than 30-40 time in order for it to complete.

What's more irritating is you can see all the files that are downloaded each time in the temp folder it's just that it would not pick up on them. The bandwidth also goes to waste cause I do not have a unlimited connection.

You really should think of all possible edge cases before rolling out a feature and it is a very common scenario, and not a very hard thing to include in a software.

50. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @darkStar27,

We understand your frustration and we're aware this request dates back a long time. We planned on improving the download and install features in the Hub this year and mean to improve the experience for the vast majority of scenarios. We can't commit to a concrete deadline for now but know that we're conscious of the issue and will vow to address it as soon as we can.

Best,

pavel_in and bugfinders like this.