Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Use separate project for Demo?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by bgrz, Feb 1, 2017.

1. bgrz

bgrz

Hello,

we're going to have a Demo version of the game along with the full version, and I'm not sure what's the best practice when it comes to analytics. Should we have separate analytics projects for these, or use the same one and send custom event with info whether the game is a demo or full version?

Along the similar line, what's the best practice when the game is on multiple app stores?

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@bgrz

It will depend on personal preference and the specifics of your demo.

It can be helpful to have different custom segments for different versions of the demo and compare data that way. This is much easier to compare data than if you were to use different projects.

However, if the demos are wildly different or for different situations and you need to keep the old data around, then separate projects might be the best option.

I also want to mention a new feature we released a couple weeks ago that allows you to reset the data in your dashboard, so you don't have to worry about testing data skewing your production data:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-data-reset-functionality.450831/

3. bgrz

bgrz

Thanks!

4. grrava

grrava

I have the same questions, and resetting the data is a good feature, but what if people keep starting the old demo? It will still send data and skew the results, no?

5. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

You can also re-link the project to another new project: Sevices Window-> Settings-> Unlink project-> Create a new project.