Search Unity

Resolved "Use per eye camera" mode not working on Oculus Quest (URP)

Discussion in 'VR' started by RiccardoAxed, Nov 17, 2020.

1. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Hi,
    according to the thread title, I'm trying to use the "Use per eye camera" mode on the Oculus OVRCameraRig in order to visualize pre-rendered stereo images on the Quest, both on picture and video, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

If I make a build with this option checked - and given that in editor it has no issues at all - the app starts showing the splash screen, then it simply switches indefinitely on a black screen, or alternatively it shows the splash screen image flickering on black. The app is not freezing or crashing, it seems to work well indeed, except that it renders nothing. On the contrary, the single camera mode (aka "use per eye camera" option unchecked) works without problems.

I first noticed this problem on Unity 2020.1.9, in an URP project, then I updated to 2020.1.13, both with the Oculus XR plugin 1.5.0 and 1.6.1, and making a brand new test project, but without success.

The issue is very easy to reproduce, just:

- Create a new project with the URP template.
    - Switch it to Android.
    - Import the XR Plug-in management, the Oculus XR Plugin and the Oculus Integration package.
    - Drag an drop the OVRCameraRig prefab from the Oculus/VR/Prefabs folder to the SampleScene.
    - Select the "Use per eye camera" option on the OVRCameraRig object (OVRCameraRig script).
    - Build and upload to the Quest.

Have somebody else experienced this issue, or have you some hints about it?

Here's a short video showing the effect:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Just built the same test project in Unity 2020.1.14 and the double camera issue is still there.

Come on Unity guys, the problem should be very easy to reproduce, can it be you've nothing to suggest about it? I'm completely stuck on it.

3. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Tested in Unity 2020.1.15, problem still there.

4. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there, can you file a bug so the team can take a look? Thanks!

5. JRichterEmrich

JRichterEmrich

Its not just from the OVR Camera rig though. Simply creating a new URP Project and setting the initial camera's Target Eye to anything other than both makes the Quest build not recognize any camera

6. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Thank you for remind me that. In fact, in my thousand attempts, I also tried to exclude the OVR Camera rig and use instead a classic couple of cams Left/Right, but that also didn't work as you pointed out.

7. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

UPDATE: I did some builds on Unity 2020.2.1 and it seems that finally the double camera issue is gone and everything works correctly, at least using the Oculus Integration Package and the OVR Camera rig.

Graziella95 likes this.
  8. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Great to hear @RiccardoAxed. Let us know if you run into any more issues and we'd be happy to take a look. Cheers!

RiccardoAxed likes this.