Search Unity

Use of plugins in unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultraaviolence, Sep 27, 2019.

1. ultraaviolence

ultraaviolence

Hello, I'm a game design student and I am doing a research project about plugins for unity to help better game development. I believe that this is a friendly community and it would be very helpful if you can help me by filling this short form. Thanks!

https://forms.gle/Xk5G6KP2ntsDgyJa6

2. aer0ace

aer0ace

I don't think the choices for these questions was mutually exclusive. I wish I could have checked all that applied.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Free or paid is not a factor, I look for quality. And most of the time those are not free. I actually think we dont have a single free asset in our game. But I am working on a winter map for the game right now, and think about using this snowman as a easteregg somwhere on the map :D https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/free-snowman-105123

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

The only assets I use with any degree of regularity anymore are Amplify Shader Editor, Dialogue System for Unity, and Rewired. Anything else I've learned to make myself.

Hell, the only reason I use those is because I just don't want to make those myself. Not worth the time investment for the returns I'd see.

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I'm the same, only ever use big tools such as Map Magic or GPU Instancer. Aside from that I always make my own stuff.

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I'm pretty sure thats the reason for everytime someone chooses to use a asset instead of making it yourself. Why make my own pathfinder when I can use A* Pathfinding Project, why make my own behavior tree when I can use Node canvas. etc. Its the none generic stuff thats important. For example, if you buy a combat AI system instead of making your own the game will get that Jim Sterling asset flip feel.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

An AI asset would make most of the games he complains about completely different. Most of them don't have AI so much as they have an updating path to the player and nothing else.