Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Use of multiple cameras does not respect "Allow Dynamic Resolution" setting (?)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by TimHeijden2, Apr 22, 2021.

1. TimHeijden2

TimHeijden2

I'm making active use of DynamicResolution to reduce GPU workload for my game. What I want to do is only apply this to the "game" camera, but keep the UI at the same resolution. My UI is drawn by a separate camera linked to a canvas with the "Screen Space - Camera" setting.

Supposedly, the "Allow Dynamic Resolution" setting on the camera could then be turned ON for the game camera, and OFF for the UI camera. Easy right?

However, the UI camera ALSO renders to a lower resolution at this point. Unless the game camera is disabled. My guess is that the "buffer" that is the game camera has rendered is not being upscaled, and the UI camera simply uses the existing buffer to draw over.

When I instead use a RenderTexture with "Dynamic Scaling" (which afaik is intended to the same as the camera setting) turned on, and then draw that render texture using a camera the settings work exactly as expected. This however would be considerably more expensive to draw?

It very much sounds like a bug, but it could also be that I'm simply misunderstanding the setting?

bajja likes this.
  2. Misscelan

Misscelan

I have come across the same issue but using NGUI, has anyone found a solution for this?

3. bajja

bajja

Ditto, I want to run some overlaid GUI at native res, but those cameras get overridden... In case it helps anyone, I notice that a canvas I have with some debug on is running at native res ( it's set up as "Screen Space - Overlay ) - just not cameras with dynamic turned off..