Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of .blend files in Unity

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by Paulprog16, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Paulprog16

Paulprog16

Hello,

I read not long ago in the official Unity docs that Unity discourages the use of .blend files and recommends exporting as .fbx from Blender.

I would like to understand why that is and why using .blend files is even possible if it is so bad.

The thing is, I find working with .blend files WAY more comfortable than exporting to .fxb, since it saves so much time and I get the results that I want anyway.

2. publiwebhnventas

publiwebhnventas

If you import .blend / .3ds / .ma files Unity will automatically open the software and then export the .fbx file

The usage of these formats is not recommended because it takes more time than the usual to load 3d scene data & because maybe the conversion could result in errors or unexpected results.

3. Giometric

Giometric

Also, it requires you to have the respective apps installed on your computer. So if you were collaborating with someone and they don't have Blender / 3dsmax / Maya, Unity won't be able to import those files. FBX files will work without the user needing anything special installed.

4. Paulprog16

Paulprog16

Thank you for your answers.

@publiwebhnventas I have to disagree completely here. At least in my case, eveything is much faster when I use .blend than when I export to .fbx. And I don't even have to care about exporting options because it all works perfectly.

@Giometric Well, I don't work with a team, so that's not really a problem for me.

So any reason for me to really switch to working with .fbx files instead of .blend files?

5. michelhabib

michelhabib

I wish i can answer that question too, i am having hard time with doing workarounds for FBX to work correctly
    I have to use these workarounds https://blog.imphenzia.com/blender-to-unity/ for correcting scale/rotation issues, but it then messes up my blender setup, and i have to undo these steps in order to continue working in Blender. Also, it is almost impossible to export FBX when you are linking character in Blender from other .blend files.
    If you reached a good workflow, please let me know.

6. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Bloated project size. Blender files have extra data that will never transfer to Unity