Search Unity

Use Custom PropertyDrawer in CustomEditor without PropertyAttribute

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Johannski, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Johannski

Johannski

Hello there,

So I'm wondering for quite some time now: Is it possible to use a custom propertydrawer in a custom editor on any property (and even just object references) that don't have the property assigned.

So for example: I have a customPropertyDrawer for MinMaxAttribute and I would like to do something like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Draw a property with a drawer it is not assigned to
    2. EditorGUILayout.PropertyField(property, "Property with other drawer", new PropertyGUILayoutOption(typeof(MinMaxAttribute)));
    4. // Draw a object reference with a custom drawer
    5. EditorGUILayout.ObjectField("object reference", customObject,  typeof(Vector2), new PropertyGUILayoutOption(typeof(MinMaxAttribute)));
    Is there anything out there that might fulfill my dreams? Or how are you solving the problem of not writing the same code again for a object reference field that is not directly serialized in your class?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. PsyKaw

PsyKaw

You can instantiate your drawer and call OnGUI() with your property:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SerializedProperty property = serializedObject.FindProperty("yourPropertyName");
    2. MinMaxDrawer drawer = new MinMaxDrawer();
    3. drawer.attribute = new MinMaxAttribute(0f, 1f);
    4. GUIContent content = new GUIContent(property.displayName);
    5. Rect drawerRect = EditorGUILayout.GetControlRect(true, drawer.GetPropertyHeight(property, content));
    6. drawer.OnGUI(drawerRect, property, content);
    Enjoy!

Johannski likes this.
  3. Johannski

Johannski

Wow, that's exactly what I was searching for! Very interesting code snippet, I completely missed GetControlRect in the documentation. Thanks a lot for the quick reply!