Search Unity

Use an old version of Monodevelop

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jdgauchat, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

Hi, guys. Is it possible to use an old version of Monodevelop instead of Visual Studio? I worked on Unity a while ago and I enjoyed Monodevelop, no problems at all, then I moved to Xcode to create some apps and now I'm back to Unity and the only available editor seems to be Visual Studio. I've been working for a few weeks and I can't take it anymore. Visual Studio is the worst most horrible editor I ever used in my life (almost 40 years of programming). It follows the same philosophy of any Microsoft software: "If the user wants to do something, do something else". Extremely annoying. I tried to find an old version of Monodevelop already compiled for a Mac but couldn't.

I looked for other editors but I only found broken links or editors without autocomplete. I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

Just an update. I'm writing this message while I'm waiting for a process to finish before restarting the computer. Visual Studio crashed on my Mac and I can't make it work again. I gonna try restarting, but this is NOT something you usually do on a Mac. Since I left Microsoft products for good, I never had to restart my computer again for these reasons. My MacBook Pro runs for months until I try to use Microsoft software. Please tell me that there is a way to install Monodevelop again. Thanks! (I know that I can change the editor from Preferences, but I can't find a working copy of Monodevelop anywhere)

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can use any code-editing app you want, but debugging is only supported in Visual Studio though. ("Visual Studio" on the Mac is basically Xamarin, which is basically MonoDevelop; it's not actually a port of Visual Studio. I guess they must have made some "interesting" "improvements" to the code.) You can get MonoDevelop from older versions of Unity.

--Eric

4. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

Thanks, Eric. I thought about downloading an older version of Unity, but right now I'm working with ARKit, so it is probably not an option for me. Microsoft software is useless on Mac computers. My theory is that they do it on purpose :) I hope Unity provides a better option in the future.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can have any number of versions of Unity installed; I have about 10 right now. But that's not really relevant since I didn't actually say to install it. ;) Just use the downloader and download MonoDevelop.

--Eric

6. Carwashh

Carwashh

Have you tried using VS Code?

jdgauchat likes this.
  7. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

OK, Carwashh. I think you just made my day! :) I didn't know about Visual Studio Code, I thought that all was the same, but I installed it and the first thing I tried that was bothering me in Visual Studio, Code did it right! I will keep testing it, but so far it is a great improvement!

Thanks!
    I owe you a beer :)

8. Carwashh

Carwashh

I do like full VS, but on Mac I use VS Code, it's just loverly. Check out the app store in the app, there's some extensions that may improve it for you.

jdgauchat likes this.