Search Unity

Question Use a generated Mesh for a baked entity prefab

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Salmakis, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Salmakis

Salmakis

Hey, the new baking workflow is nice :)
    But i wanted to do to following:
    bake an entity prefab with a mesh that is generated by the start of the game once, for all entities for that type then.

i wanted to do it like so:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class LivingControllerSingletonAuthoring : SingletonBehaviour<LivingControllerSingletonAuthoring> {
    3.     public GameObject livingPrefab;
    4. }
    6. public class LivingControllerSingletonBaker : Baker<LivingControllerSingletonAuthoring> {
    8.     public override void Bake(LivingControllerSingletonAuthoring authoring)
    9.     {
    10.       authoring.livingPrefab.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh =    EntityMeshManager.GetEntityMesh(EntityMeshManager.EntityType.Person);
    13.       AddComponent<LivingControllerData>(new LivingControllerData
    14.          {
    15.             livingPrefabEntity = GetEntity(authoring.livingPrefab)
    16.          });
    17.        }
    18.    }
    20.    public struct LivingControllerData : IComponentData {
    21.        public Entity livingPrefabEntity;
    22.    }
    when i do:
    authoring.livingPrefab.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh = EntityMeshManager.GetEntityMesh(EntityMeshManager.EntityType.Person);

then the mesh is changed on the prefab, haha of course, i forgot that.

then i tried to use GameObject.Instantiate to create a temp instance of the prefab, change the mesh, and use that instance then as prefab for the entityPrefab, and destroy it afterwards
    that created alot of GameObjects.

i feels like the whole idea of seting a generated mesh in the baking process seems to be the wrong approach, but when and where could i intercept to run my mesh generator (wich is managed) to create the mesh i want to use for the entities?

2. Mayumichi

Mayumichi

Salmakis and heu3becteh like this.