Search Unity

Use 3ds Max? wish you could use Physique for rigging?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Joe-Robins, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Incase you haven't already discovered it, there is a way in which you can rig your characters using Physique and then convert them over to Skin ready for FBX import into Unity.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13379697

This version works for 3ds Max 6 7

and there are also builds available for recent versions of Max

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...physique-to-skin-plugin-for-3ds-max-20092010/

I gave it a quick test spin and it seems to work fine.

In order to install simply extract the file and drop it into your /plugins directory

Then simply add the Skinning Conversion Tool to your Utilities tab:

Attached Files:

2. archivision

archivision

it doesn't work for me... i still get those weird stick figure like people...

3. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

o_O I'm not sure what you mean by that

4. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Sounds like you need to select the "export geometry as bones" option in the FBX exporter.

5. archivision

archivision

yup that worked thnx

6. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

This doesn't work for me. It doesn't error, and it does create a skin modifier and all the vertices seem to be attached to the correct bones, but the rig is messed up pretty badly along the way, making it pretty unusable. A picture tells a thousand words, so....

7. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I hate to bring a year old post back up but thank you for this, this saved my butt big time! I just mastered physique only to find out I need to be using skin, this plug in worked perfect!

8. Tysoe

Tysoe

Physique is pretty much legacy stuff and not used much in game dev these days. Skin is a lot more streamlined and easier to use so long as your not doing muscle bulging and stretching. Things like vertex weighting are much more straightforward with skin and end up being a huge time saver.

9. ippdev

ippdev

Looks like you may have scaling on as the bones all seem to be specific ratios out of place. Try creating and keyframing a TPose at frame 0 and see if that helps, as well as turning off or making sure your scaling is at 1 in both your app and Unity's Transform readout.

HTH
    BTH

10. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Joe, this was very helpful! Though it sounds like I'm going to have to get the hang of 'skin' from here on out...

11. peter_on

peter_on

SAVE MY DAY! Convert from physique to skin and export to FBX, works perfectly in unity!
    thanks!