Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official USD for Unity Updates

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools Previews' started by marief_unity, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Christiansquare

Christiansquare

I would like to see something like this too.

2. mowax74

mowax74

This package is now in experimental state for 4 and a half years! Meanwhile usd is an established industry standard. Any chance that the unity devs have realised that and create a package that we can use safely in development?

Or is this package considered dead?

Wolfram likes this.
  3. pachermann

pachermann

In what industry is it standard?
    it's far from standard and far from implemented everywhere.

but yes we hope it gets forward soon :)

4. mowax74

mowax74

Maya, Max, Substance, Houdini, Unreal, Cinema4d, ZBrush, Mari, Nuke, Modo, Omniverse, even Blender... But it's far from being a standard in Unity.

But you are right. Only noobs in the film and advertising industry like the guys at pixar, ilm and the mill using it. So don't worry and sleep well.

5. pachermann

pachermann

So you don't like the current USD or is not enough in functionality there in Unity?
    That being said, the best USD Bridges are the ones are in Houdini and maya in my opinion, since there was probably the biggest focus for VFX pipelines. But what are you missing exactly, can you describe?

We are noobs from the Film & TV Industry.
    Since we experience no problems and have no worries while using USD in Unity we thought to ask you what you struggle with?

Chill & Cheers!

6. mowax74

mowax74

As i said: I want it to be used SAFELY in production. You never ever take an experimental package from Unity and integrate it in a company workflow. Because you can expect, that things will break, even if they meight work right now. That's why it's still flagged as experimental.

In terms of the feature set: It does not support multiple uv sets. So working with baked lightmaps is impossible. Which makes this package for most of the users useless right now.
    Also the support of blend shapes would be very handy.

My critique does not target the devs working on that package, but again the unity management sets clearly the wrong priorities. For companies, that establish a new workflow based on usd (and these are getting more quickly, since it's so good when working in a team across multiple apps) - Unity is out. Because of the lack of support. So pipelines will be planned without the use of Unity.

pachermann likes this.
  7. pachermann

pachermann

I see, thanks for the insights, your inputs are totally valid, specially for blendshapes and multiuv.
    Maybe we get a official answer if it is in work some days...

@Unity

8. Kleptine

Kleptine

I'm kind of surprised that the package doesn't include a Scripted Importer. Will we eventually have an import workflow that isn't manual?

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

10. reguig-abdo

reguig-abdo

We need the ability to export USDZ/USD from Webgl Runtime. Is that available already?