Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

USD / EUR on the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, May 3, 2011.

1. keely

keely

I have priced my product RageSpline as 50$.

I've heard that Euro-users see the price of my product as either 38€ or 47.50€.

Google gives "50 dollars to euros" = 33.77€

I'm sure it has got to do with taxes, VAT-numbers and all that, but can someone give me some insight on the subject?

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Demostenes

Demostenes

For EU it is usually 20 percent tax. Some shops are working with it and some without. Unity unfortunatelly picks taxes for EU countries.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Has nothing to do with "picks".
    UT has its business in EU, so they are legally forced to take 20% VAT of every single EU customer thats not itself a EU registered company with VAT number, thats not a want, thats law.

Other companies that don't take it (like my own website too or all US businesses) just have no business treaties in the EU and thus are not forced to do it (thats the main reason I'm not using ShareIt as selling platform, they are forced to take the 20% too as EU company even though they only sell on my behalf and I'm just not willing to feed the EU taxes my customer don't have to pay me as non EU business and non EU inhabitant)

4. p6r

p6r

But the problem is 25% dutch VAT here ! It 's a lot of money for expensive assets !!!
    It's why I prefer to buy on external websites if possible.

However, the great thing from asset store is that we can import them in each project if needed... and the update is easy to do !

6R

5. Demostenes

Demostenes

Offshore company is good sollution for this. Especially in internet bussiness.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not in case of the EU.
    As long as your main business is EU you pay taxes to EU and have to take taxes as per EU.
    The only way UT can circumvent that is by transfering that to the USA, but thats a major paper war, and then you will hear US customers whine cause they will have to pay taxes :)

icetec likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Only some, normally you are only charged sales tax if the company has a business presence in your state of residence. Laws vary by state, but you only have to follow the laws of the states that you have a presence in. :)

8. mas

mas

Dutch Tax = 19% .. so 25% must be Danish VAT.

I don't know if Unity supports Intra Comunity transactions for valid EU Companies with VAT numbers.

I am such a company but still pay the 25% VAT @ Unity.

9. Demostenes

Demostenes

This is not generally true. I was speaking about internet bussiness (running web servers, online games, downloadable games....). You just make company in country wih no taxes, put all of your internet bussiness on it and bye bye taxes. Very common approach in internet industry.

For normal companies bounded by bussiness to some state are other sollutions, but this would be even bigger offtopic :)

Last edited: May 3, 2011