Search Unity

Usage of vehicles models in games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by umnovato, Feb 1, 2021.

1. umnovato

umnovato

Well i was looking for some vehicles models to put in my projects and a certain question came in my thoughts:
    1:
    Can I use real car models in a game or i have to pay some kind of license or term of usage?
    2:
    If theres is a certain law that protects models how can i adjusts the models to solve this problem?

Thats a pretty dumb question i know in gta is like that as i remeber the ferraris are called Infernus or something like that, but this question doesn't leave my mind. specially cause i wanted to put some old cars from 70's.

2. sxa

sxa

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you search similar topics, you will find your answer very quick. Discussed many times over.
    Most likely.
    Dont use existing models.

If in doubt, consult your lawyer.

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

5. Moonjump

Moonjump

Different kinds of protection have different lifespans, including patents, design registrations, copyright, trade mark. Trade marks can be renewed forever, each of the others have a different lifespan, and will also vary between countries (important if you are selling internationally).

It is a minefield and something best avoided by not copying.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

Common way to work around this is to change the name and the apperence slightly. For example GTA franchise does this.

upload_2021-2-1_19-1-14.png

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is true that it should be avoided, but I'm really curious now whether Ford Model T is still protected. I mean, the design is 112 years old.

While "Ford" itself is certainly trademark, I wonder about the original vehicle.

Patent typically lasts for 20 years, as far as I know, and Copyright protection is 75 years after author's death. Henry ford died in 1947, meaning any copyright of his expires in 2022 which is not far away from now.

Makes me curious. Even though I have no interest in actually using the vehicle.

8. It also worth mentioning that do not get example from big AAA companies. They may get away with using vehicles with changed logos and slightly changed hull. They also have an army of lawyers and vehicle companies usually know that.
    You don't have army of lawyers otherwise you wouldn't be here asking for advice. So take vehicle and change more than you think is enough. I wouldn't put the red vehicle above in my game. It's too similar to real make and model. I don't need just to be sure that I would win in court against a vehicle company, I need to stay out of the court at the first place.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. MDADigital

MDADigital

You have this Ford on the asset store, even with the very recognisable paint job

upload_2021-2-1_19-57-29.png

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

That doesn't mean it is legal. All it might mean is the legal department at Ford is not yet aware of it.

I personally think it to be low risk, but IANAL

MadeFromPolygons and neginfinity like this.
  11. Antypodish

Antypodish

Personally I would trust my life, what is on asset store and if is legal.
    See i.e. porshe.

https://assetstore.unity.com/?q=porshe&orderBy=1

upload_2021-2-1_22-12-7.png

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

Unity asset store too since its on their store :)

13. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah, but they don't appear to be all that proactive on that front. The Asset Store team appears to wait until a formal take down notice is sent by the copyright owner before taking action.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/exported-stolen-assets-being-sold-in-the-asset-store.892990/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/important-in-the-assetstore-stolen-models.564406/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/urg...be-legally-responsible-for-this-thief.584200/

14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Which means somebody can buy a lot of assets and then face cease and desist anyway.

Lots of fun.

There can also be ripped models there, thinking about it.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  15. Moonjump

Moonjump

Yes, they wait for a formal take down by the copyright holder. I have previously sent a friendly message to the Asset Store team to warn them when they announced the promotion of a package that contained IP that I had previously worked with, and the reply confirmed that is the only way they will act.

I am worried there may be large consequences to Unity for hosting, and promoting, large volumes of clearly IP infringing content when someone gets a hit using some of it. Irrespective of how the hosting is judged, I can see a flood of demands for refunds for all kinds of infringing content.

Joe-Censored likes this.