Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Usage of Smart.Format for arbitrary plural strings in Japanese fails?

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by taptpci, Oct 31, 2022.

1. taptpci

taptpci

Hello, I'm currently evaluating the use of Smart.Format as a means to localize strings that are downloaded remotely (not in any built-in localization database). I'm attempting to follow the scripting guide for plurals here https://docs.unity.cn/Packages/com.unity.localization@1.0/manual/Smart/Plural-Formatter.html but this for Japanese.

Here is the test code, placed in the Start() function of a MonoBehavior in the scene:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         var strEN = "(en) I have {0:plural(en):an apple|{} apples}";
    2.         var strJA = "(ja) I have {0:plural(ja):{} ringo}";
    3.         for (int i = -3; i < 10; i++)
    4.         {
    5.             var output = Smart.Format(strEN, i);
    6.             Debug.Log(output);
    7.             output = Smart.Format(strJA, i);
    8.             Debug.Log(output);
    9.         }
    The force english string prints to console, but the force japanese string emits this exception:

Code (csharp):
    2. FormattingException: Error parsing format string: No suitable Formatter could be found at 26
    3. (ja) I have {0:plural(ja):{} ringo}
    4. --------------------------^
    What have I missed in this example? Why do I receive this exception? Japanese should only have an "other" and therefore only require a single entry according to the Unicode language plural rules https://www.unicode.org/cldr/cldr-aux/charts/29/supplemental/language_plural_rules.html

Thusfar I've tested the format for English, German, Russian, and Japanese and only Japanese fails. Even Russian correctly uses the one|few|many format.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm not near the code to check but Japanese doesn't need a plural formatter so you would normally just do "I have {0} Ringo". The structure will be the same regardless of the value.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    taptpci likes this.
  3. taptpci

taptpci

Hi Karl, this does work though it's a little irregular in that it means we cannot explicitly specify a language override. That said, this shouldn't be a problem in this situation. It may seem unnecessary, but supporting explicit single definitions might make the examples less conusing. Alternatively the documentation could be updated more explicitly to reflect that languages like Japanese can be used as though they were normal format strings and that this is by design.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We do support Japanese and other singular plurals. I think there may be a bug with the parsing. Adding a | into the format string fixed it for me

Code (csharp):
    1.  I have {0:plural:{} ringo|}
    Ill see if we can get it fixed in the future.

taptpci likes this.
  5. taptpci

taptpci

Thank you Karl! Testing out the SmartFormat library from nuget it seems like this is a bug upstream too with the same "fix" on the user end

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I spoke to the developer, it is a bug. We should be able to get it fixed in the future.