Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

uRTS Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chanfort, Jun 6, 2014.

?

Which phase of RTS Battle Simulator need improvements?

1. search

42.9%
  2. approach

32.1%
  3. attack

57.1%
  4. self-heal

21.4%
  5. death

14.3%
  6. rot (sink)

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there, can you copy-paste the full error which comes now from line 764. This might be a different error now.

What do you mean by "visual C#" ? Do you mean Visual Studio perhaps?

The update will come when it is ready. I expect it to be within a month or two.

Team vs teams is now possible in full. Nation can be AI or another player. If Nation 1 is player and Nation 2 is AI then it's offline mode and you playing against AI. You can play Nation 1 as player and Nation 2 as another player in multiplayer mode (LAN or matchmaker). Did you tried that?

As for PvNPC and PvP, I don't think that in RTS such terms exist as they are the same as team vs team. Do I miss something here?

Hmm, what is in the picture, I am not familiar with that :)

2) That's exactly how it starts the game.

3) Formations are partially implemented. You can use formations texture to define the shape of formation. They also auto-rotate when you start moving the formation. What still needs to be don is to implement the "arrow" before you start moving and also more controls.

4) Hmm, how attacking with double-clicking would be different from the currently implemented right-click attack?

As for hiding and ambushing, you probably need to have more detailed environment. If you are on a plain terrain, then where units could hide? Maybe you mean something else here, i.e. smart attacks or something?

Walking above or below the ground is a known issue as NavMesh does not perfectly match the terrain. One of the easy solutions is to call get height on each update for each unit. But that introduces additional overhead. I may add this as an option or use it only for units which are close to camera.

2. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

Thank you for your prompt response!

I did not save the error for line 764. It only happened one or twice. What I meant visual C# was Visual Studio. Do you have any hints on how to correct this issue. I am using Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2017 community?

For PvNPC and PvP, I meant Player vs AI and Player vs Player (we already have them).

That picture of menu screen was from UEBS.

I did let "Player AI" played against AI, in the editor for over 3 hours, without getting any previous errors, until it crashed due to this error
    uRTS_6.png
    Have you seen this error before?

How big is uRTS game map? 6km256 terrain means 6km in diameter and 256??
    Using two horsemen, I followed the river banks then traveled along the seashore for several hours and still could not reach back to the home yet. There were some console errors but game never crashed. Here are a screen capture of the errors.
    uRTS_console1.png .

When I click on the minimap, it shows in full screen the "Map of EightRivers". Is this the game map? and how to change the name of the map?

In uRTS>prfabs>rtsUnits, Unit Animations there is "Run", and "Other Animations", you mean we can assign more animations to individual units? Would it be possible if we double right click for running and a crouch_iddle for hiding/ ambushing?

I am having a rough time trying to import humanoid characters into uRTS. I managed to import characters but no way be able to have weapon and shield in.
    I am using the Medieval knights (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/medieval-knights-8043),

and Medieval Character Pack (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/medieval-character-pack-20983)

Do you have any experience importing / using these characters please do give me hints.

Thanks,

3. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hello, I purchased uRTS - I am experiencing a problem i did not have with the free version.
    Starting from a CLEAN project i import uRTS .. i go to the "main" scene - Launch and it crashes unity. At first i thought it was a unity version issue.. as i normally use 2017.4 / i tested with unity Unity-2018.2.2f1. The same thing happens.... The instant i hit "play" unity crashes. Any ideas?

4. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, interesting. If you will get again that error from line 764, try to make screenshot and also description of the gameplay before it happens. Some errors are very rare and can take hours to reproduce. In a mean time I will keep checking around that line 764 as well.

I usually use text editors as Visual Studio sometimes tends to auto-correct when I typing in a wrong way. You should keep checking when you type or paste the code is it didn't auto-corrected.

UEBS looks quite cool. I am thinking at some point that there would be good to have match mode where at start you have given number of units and then you only use these ones to fight with the enemy (i.e. archers vs knights, etc.). I will probably add this type of feature as in-game map editor where player can paint custom map and also place units on it. But for that kind of feature it's still quite long way to go :) .

Nice, 3 hours of gameplay seems to be quite good.

Hmm, that error from FireScaler.cs line 75 looks very interesting. I am apparently already checking if the gameObject is active. It seems like I need to move the code from coroutines to Update(). Should start looking into this. Thanks for tracking it.

So 6km is the total size from one edge to another. And 256 is heightmap resolution. However, terrain is endless as when you move with your camera further, new terrain is being generated and old terrain is unloaded. That way you can never reach the edge of the world. You can try using Journey Planner to travel long distances. To access Journey Planner open groups menu through options. Then tick "Journey mode" ticker. Select one of units and press group. This will open Journey Planner window. You can then add world coordinates and start your journey. You can also add second coordinate and select Home. This will allow to come back home more easily.

Yes, when you click the minimap, it opens the game map, but only the region of where rivers are present (I think it's about 80 km). Behind these there are no rivers but there are still lakes, forests, etc. The title of game map should be set as one of the UI elements in Editor.

Yes, you can assign more animations there. But at the moment there are no actions defined of how to use other animations thank idle, walk, run, attack and die.

Looks like nice packs out there! What I was wondering is if they are using Mechanim or Legacy animations? Are swords, shields, armour and other things set as separate objects? If so, at the moment it would need to merge these into single objects (i.e. using Blender).

P.S. Did you find out any good packs or links where it would be possible to make good looking medieval avatars? I was quite interested to update nation icons, visible through diplomacy menu as currently they are hand painted.

5. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, what does it say when it crashes? Did you tried running build ToER demo to see if it crashes? Can you also try to use Unity 2018.1.1f2 for now - I tested it with this version. And also make sure you using the most recent version of uRTS (which is 2018.1)

6. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hello, thank you for your fast response.

I purchased it about 3 hours ago so I assume its the most recent version. I don't know exactly what the ToER demo is?
    I will try the other version of unity....
    It is a unusual thing... I can load up scene "armies" or "main" i can look over the scene and examine things in it.

when i hit play. i don't get a error... just a drop to the unity debugger report asking what i was doing... nothing shows up in the log that us helpful either.

your free rts asset worked perfectly and it was the reason i made this purchase.

7. chanfort

chanfort

It's indeed unusual. Looks like it could be a memory overflow :) . What are stats of your computer and what OS are you using? Did you already tried Unity 2018.1.1f2 if it happens the same thing?

You can get ToER from here
    https://chanfort.itch.io/tales-of-eightrivers

8. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

The last patch that you updated last night, DID fix my launching issue.. i can now launch and build without crashing. Ty for what ever that change.:)
    My system spec's
    Linux (xubuntu 18.04 64bit)
    ryzen 5
    16 gb ram
    nvidia 1060 3gb.

9. chanfort

chanfort

Sounds great then. Let me know if there would be further issues.

10. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

I have not there yet to look for any avatar package. I looked in the Asset Store and saw this one, https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/icons/character-avatar-icons-fantasy-89178, see if any interest for you.

Those medieval character sets I mentioned in earlier post use humanoid animations, I assume they are Mechanim as I have to convert them to Legacy aninations. They all have separate weapons, shields, helmets, hair, ect. Some I still struggle to have them into uRTS, some I have managed to get them in but weapons are bent or deformed so still a long process to go. If you have a chance to try them, please do show me how .

How easy it is to implement, say, right click to rotate, a building or a formation in game?

Thanks,

11. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there. Hmm, packages looks interesting, but it seems like they are only icons, while I am more keen to have full 3d head models instead. I will continue to look. If you would accidentally come with something, let me know. I think there is possible to create some variety of human models with MakeHuman package in Blender but they are not medieval style.

Yes, Mechanim is getting pretty standard today. There is a tool to convert them to legacy animations. It also needs to merge all different pieces (armour, hairs, etc.) under a single mesh as it is best for performance and also most tested case in uRTS. Meshes can be easily merged with Blender, even rigged and animated ones with legacy animations. I suspect Mechanim animations can't be imported to Blender. So probably the best way would be to convert and bake all animations as legacy into fbx files and then merge them inside Blender. Alternatively there might be some scripts how to merge animated models with different meshes into a single mesh animated model.

You can already rotate a building before building it. While the building appears as green (choosing where to build), you can press left and right arrow keys to rotate them. Once the building starts being build, rotation can't be changed.

For formation it needs still some more work. Currently if you walk formation units, formation arranges it's rotation based on direction where units moved. But I take you want to rotate it before starting to move, what is different. Probably several UI controlling buttons should do a work.

12. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi, I purchased your full version it is a great project... but unfortunately the full version requires Unity 2018. my project is built in 2017.4 and assets that are already part of my project cannot be upgraded. This is not a show stopper for me as my original interest was in your free version.

There are alot cool things you have added into the full version it is a shame i could not use it in 2017.

Since i have paid for the full version.. would it be possible for you to provide support for my questions about your free version as it is more compatable with my project.

13. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there, if you use Unity 2017, you should be able to automatically get the previous stable version of uRTS, which would be 2017.5. You can check which version of uRTS you have by looking at the front page of documentation.pdf

Sure, if any questions, feel free to ask whether here or in pm.

14. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

How do i tell my unity to get the older version? When in unity in the asset library i only see newest version

NOTE: If you need me to verify my purchase i can.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  15. chanfort

chanfort

No need to verify :)

Did you tried deleting the old one and re-importing again using Unity 2017 ?

16. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

I just tried
    Went into unity - asset store - deleted rts tool kit.
    closed unity - open unity back up
    went to asset store - re-downloaded rts toolkit
    it only offered me 2018 and this is using Unity 2017

17. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, weird. Can you try repeating this with Unity 2017.3 ? If that would work, after importing you could upgrade the project to Unity 2017.4. I will try testing as well this. Looks a bit weird of how Unity choses which version to download...

18. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

I was able to get the older version... but now im back to the crash at play error that you fixed in 2018

19. chanfort

chanfort

Well, first step that you getting old version is good then. So now just need to sort that crash. Are you getting crash using Unity 2017.3 or 2017.4 ?

20. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Crash is happening in both versions... it used to happen in 2018. but you did something, a patch... and 2018 stopped crashing. So i suspect that you might be able to fix this, if the issue is anything close to what you did for 2018.

21. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, I don't remember if I did anything special as this crash didn't occurred for me. Do you have another computer to try if the crash also happens there?

22. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

not really... Im using linux - my system specs are Ryzen 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 16gb ram Nvidia 1060 3gb.

.my other two machines are the same hardware and OS :(

it would be easier to solve - if the logs would give me a valid error.. it just drops to the crash reported with no details.
    I also know this is a useless bit of info... but i have many assets.. this is the only one that crashes. :(..

I can shift to the free asset - but i would need a little aid in getting it to be what i need.

23. chanfort

chanfort

Firstly, can you try running it on one of the other two machines if the same crash happens?

Hmm, I never tested it on linux OS. If the same crash occurs on all three machines (which is unlikely), the next option would be to try using and adopting uRTS 2018.1 to Unity 2017.4. But first step is to test on other machine.

24. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

How do I use the Run and multiple/ random attack in uRTS? Would yo please point me to the setting of the these animation. I want to make use of those units that have run and multiple attack animations.

Would it possible to disable or run in background the spawning of Hero, economy, and diplomacy? I am trying to have a battle simulator mode in uRTS. I tried to disable economy or enable it with resources size set to 0. Same thing happened with diplomacy, the game will run, in the editor, for a few minutes then stop.

Is there a feature already built in uRTS that if we click / double click a unit/building far away, the camera will auto fly/ joom to that location? We already have the 'Camera Teleport' component but how to we determine the location and rotation of an object in game? then send this coordinate to the Camera Teleport component.

Thanks,

25. chanfort

chanfort

So at the moment run animation is used for horsemen only and is hardcoded. It is triggered from UnitsMover.cs if rtsUnitId=18 (horsemen). Run is triggered when the speed increases above 8, otherwise it's walk or idle. I will add in the future that developer could chose at what speed to switch to run animation on any unit. Attack animations are running separately but at the moment only one attack animation can be used.

Hmm, interesting. I think hero spawning at the moment is a bit hardcoded, so could be needed to adjust or comment some code. But should be only one or several lines only. Economy should be easier, you can hide top bar which displays resources and make that all units which you need could be spawned with no costs (check castle prefab for example). For diplomacy you probably want that initially all relations would be set to 1, which means war between all nations. You would also need to disable AI checks that nations would never ask to join alliance or to beg mercy. AI checks are running in NationAI.cs. So you can just comment conditions which you don't need.

So at the moment if you double click on unit, it is reserved to select all other same type of player's units on the screen. I.e. if you have an army of archers fighting in a battle, you can double click on one of them and all other archers visible on the screen will be also selected. In order to zoom on selected unit or building, you can click on their icon once the unit or building is selected. You can see the circle icon for any selected unit in the bottom left corner of the screen. So if you have selected distant unit and you click on that icon, camera will fly close to the unit.

I usually use CameraTeleport for debugging only. The position is taken from what you provide in Inspector for CameraTeleport component "TeleportPosition" X,Y,Z values. This is world coordinates where you want to teleport. Camera rotation remains unchanged, i.e. you will have camera pointing to the same direction where it was pointing before you teleported.

26. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Trying to understand how experience level works...

27. chanfort

chanfort

Cool. Let me know if there will be any issues.

28. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Ok, so I had a look at it.
    To summarise how i understand it, units kill enemies, gets xp.
    There are two level ups, one is damage and one is health.

Questions.
    In the unity inspector for a units UnitPars script, theres a section called Unit levels.

And I don't know what it does.

On another note, if you happen to target one of your own units or buildings, you selected units will attack them.

29. chanfort

chanfort

So there are two parts of how units are advancing their levels. One part comes from doing activity and another over time. The activity is depending on what level you targeting. Attack exp is increasing when you attacking any other units. Defence xp increases when you successfully defend attackers damage. Life points is a combination of these two. Other levels are building level which increases when you spawn other building or units. For example if you spawn archers from barracks, these barracks are gaining building level xp. The second part is that levels automatically advances over the time even if you are not doing anything. In the inspector at the moment you can define different levels and in "Level exp time gain" specify how fast level advances over the time. This means that old units will have larger levels than recently spawned ones.

Yes, exactly. That the most unified approach that you can attack any units, including your own around the map. Some RTS games restricts that you can only attack enemy's units. But in reality, I think players should have an option to attack their own units if they want to.

30. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Interesting on the xp. How many times does a unit level up say Attack, only once or infinite times?

I think i prefer locking what you can attack...
    Or they'll do just like me and destroy my own base by mistake or kill my own hero XD
    I really need to lock this :p

31. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Fog of war is interesting in this kind of game... hmm maybe just locking how far the camera can stray from any of your units/buildings, and not drawing units that are beyond a certain distance from the camera

32. chanfort

chanfort

So unit can level up as many times as possible, it is not lockable. I may add lockables as an option in the future.

By default units automatically won't attack other your own units, only if you force them to attack by right clicking or when attack mode button is pressed for selected units. So there is no chance that your units would destroy your base by accident :) .

There could be also indirect damage from own units when you attack enemy with war machines, which uses area damage on targets. If your units are close to targets, they also can be damaged by such area attacks. I am pretty sure you don't want to lock this feature :) .

Limiting camera view distance looks like a most similar solution. You can do that in fact already by going to graphics settings while in game and change camera far clipping plane distance to smaller values. But that would give you a spherical fog of war. And it won't save areas which you have visited. More realistic version would need to save areas which player has explored. Maybe storing that in the grid and adjusting each grid cell rendering could be an approach. But in uRTS there is 3D, so fog of war would also need to work vertically.

33. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Yes it was totally my fault that they attacked their own units, but it is a feature i do not want.
    I want it locked, I cant keep track of everywhere i click ^^

34. chanfort

chanfort

So in order to disable this, you can start looking in SelectionManager.cs script. You may want to modify two events - one when player right clicks on target and another when player is in attack mode. Just add some if statement to check if target belongs to player nation. This approach is the easiest to implement. It will keep the feature in the code but you won't be able to attack your own units in any circumstances.

35. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Thank you :)

36. chanfort

chanfort

You are welcome. Let me know if you will get into any issues there :)

37. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

In your multiplayer video tutorials, I saw there were no hero spawned. Can you show me how to temporarily unable the spawning of Hero at the start of a game?

In some instances, player2 (client) can see Eli and Teore forces moving inside of player1 (host) territory and from further background but player1 can not see them. Please refer to the attached image. uRTS-error16.png
    Eli forces, catapult, swordsmen, horsemen, etc., gathered at the centered of player1's nation, however, no war declared. Player1s' workers locations are not replicated correctly from both players windows. The nationscores ui from both players are not the same. Would you please take a look at this when you have a chance, thanks?

I am using the default lighting from a newly downloaded uRTS. But shadows on the units are too intense, even the time of day is maybe at noon. Please refer to the attached image. Please give me advice or suggestions on how to fix this issue?

I catch Gameover.cs errors here and there a few times but there is no message whenever, Player wins or looses the game. Sometimes, I destroyed all other nations included the wizzard or being destroyed by other nations, but game does not show any gameover message. Can you point me to the code where we can add a "You win" or "You loose, would you like to continue playing ...." etc message. Thanks!

How to keep the minimap always point to the North (N)?

Thanks very much for your supports!

38. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Please refer to this image for shadow on units and buildings in game. Thanks,
    uRTS-error18.jpg

39. chanfort

chanfort

So when I was making tutorials, hero was not implemented there. Now as hero is implemented, it's not easy to get back to the old system. The point here is that the castle can be built from hero an if there would be no hero, player could not build a castle and won't be able to start the game.

Most of these multiplayer errors are coming from syncing issues. You can relax bandwidth limits through in game settings before connecting. That should give you better syncing.

I will take a look in how diplomacy works in multiplayer.

Resources should not be the same for two players, as player 1 and 2 are playing as different nations. So each nation has its own resources. I still need to check if scores are synced to client.

At the moment Game Over is not defined. I am still thinking about what scenarios to implement here.

You can change shadows by playing with Unity's lighting settings. There are soft and hard shadows which you can play with.

So at the moment you would need to change the script which rotates minimap, so that rotation would never happen. Try going through UI game objects to find where is minimap controlled through. You can simply remove rotation in script an adjust default rotation of the game object.

40. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Over the years, I have plotted a "slow RTS". I come from a Civilization IV and Total Annihilation background, with lots of D&D thrown in.

I look at your price, I look at all the work you have done, and your Youtube homage to "Horde".
    You have a dream.
    I am going to change a lot myself, if I have to. I hate coding. (I mean, I get it, but, damn, I'd rather model in Blender).
    It is obvious by your price for this package, compared to effort, you are in it for the dream, not the money.

I'm going to make that dream come true, my friend. It's going to be beautiful, and a good game.

To answer your poll... to make a true battle simulator, you should to work on the retreat AI. Fight or flight is the most basic of instincts. Fear or courage. Every warrior in this package is so courageous. Unnaturally courageous. At the most basic, at about 33% health, units should start to flee towards the castle, (or nearest "hospital"). You are kind of already there with "self-heal".

I have debated greatly,. but this RTSengine you have built has everything I wanted, even the grand strategic meta-map.

You'll hear from me again. Things are slow right now, but you'll hear from me again.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  41. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there. Hmm, thanks for deep thoughts. I agree, sometimes some parts of game creation can be difficult. I personally enjoy coding but don't like modelling/rigging/animating. It was quite hard to model these characters and buildings. But when I focus on my goals, I usually starting to enjoy it. I guess with coding it's similar. You can try from small things, create your own small scripts, test them, play with them and should become a bit more exciting :)

42. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

I would like to let you know that my installed uRTS lighting is very good after reinstalling the OS and uRTS. Most of the issues can be resolved by starting a fresh new installation of uRTS.

I am sorry for bringing you quite a numbers of problem recently.

Thank you very for the uTRS and your great support!

43. chanfort

chanfort

These are good news. It's always a good idea to reinstall uRTS if something starts to work weird and test on the original version. And thanks for helping out in finding bugs.

44. HellYeahUpperCase

HellYeahUpperCase

Hi Chanfort,

Ive played your demo, eight rivers, and I'm thinking of buying URTS, but I have a few questions.

How easy would it be to add these features myself?

- New stats other than damage, health, defence
    - Status effects(poison, stun, etc)
    - damage types (piercing, blunt, slash, fire, ice, etc) and their corresponding resistances (armor is good against piercing/slash but weaker vs blunt,etc)
    - Special abilities that cost mana (area of effect, projectiles that go through enemies and hit those behind, etc)
    - Heroes that are saved from maps to maps, so you can customize them
    - Flying movement, water only movement
    - fog of war

Thank you

45. chanfort

chanfort

I would say several months / 1 year of work for all of these at least + bug checking at the end :) . And heavy coding would be involved... But it also would depend on how well you want to implement these, i.e. i it's the final list or there would be large sublists of various other features going along. The toolkit would give a basic start, but these new features would need to be written mostly from scratch. You can start at the beginning playing with uRTS Free version, at least to get around the battle system.