Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chanfort, Jun 6, 2014.

?

Which phase of RTS Battle Simulator need improvements?

1. search

40.0%
  2. approach

31.4%
  3. attack

57.1%
  4. self-heal

22.9%
  5. death

14.3%
  6. rot (sink)

22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chanfort

chanfort

Do you mean about making upgraded version of the building or unit? If that's the case, uRTS don't have upgradable units. These may come at some point in the future.

2. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

For example, the laboratory might have an upgrade that makes all archers do more damage

3. chanfort

chanfort

I see. I guess in such case it depends what you want the upgrade to be. For example if it upgrades just stats, it's easy to implement. You can put things easily in the script in order to change archers stats. If you wan't to change the model (i.e. to change wooden castle to stone castle on the upgrade), you wold need to tell the code to change the model. There is large number of possible outcomes here how you could define the upgrade...

4. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hi i recently bought 3d sprites and noticed that it seems to only work with legacy animations. Is this the case ? If so any plans to make it work with humanoid animations. The characters i have that i would like to turn to sprites dont come with any animations... And i dont think i can retarget legacy animations? Thanks for any advise.

5. chanfort

chanfort

Well, at the moment there are no updates planned for 3dSprites, so I guess you can get sorted yourself one way or another with these animations. One way is to find out how to convert new animations into legacy animations. And another way is to change the code and instead of calling Animation component functions to use Animator component. At some time I will update these, but probably after several months only.

6. JBR-games

JBR-games

OK i had a look at the code and was able to update 3dSprites to also now work with having mecanim animator animations & legacy animations. Ill PM the link @chanfort

also after testing a few things... notes that should be added to the docs (maybe they are but i didn't see them) the particle prefab "texture sheet animation" needs to be updated for the same size sheet that you bake your animations into so tiles x and y -numberOfColumns / numberOfFrames , and cycles as well.

This is a great little tool and i hope it still gets attention every now and then..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. chanfort

chanfort

Oh, wow, that's actually the first time somebody helps a bit to adjust the code :). Thanks anyways. I will check, update and upload it any time soon when I get a bit of free time (maybe this or the next weekend).

8. JBR-games

JBR-games

Using 3DSprites ,Out of curiosity any body know how many textures become too much on a modern mobile phone.

Baked sheets..
    So for each direction (8) x elevation angles (3)= 24 atlas sheets per character. Each sheet is 1024×512 image size (with my current seetings. 128p x 32 frames arranged 8x4).

So then i have 15 characters... Is that too many textures for just background characters ?

I could do 64pixels per character and get 512×256 sheets( need to check quality). And maybe also drop from 32 animation frames to 16 to get 256x256 sheets. At that point each character would atleast be under 2k...

9. chanfort

chanfort

Yes, that's true, you can always lower the resolution if you are approaching memory limits.

You can also do some assumptions (which are not yet implemented). For example, you can load only these textures, which are used, and once unused - to unload them. You can also keep them in asset bundles and download from the web. But these would work only under assumption that all types of characters never appear at the same time.

I would start by just putting these into the game and running on the phone. Do a bit of testing and see where it goes :)

10. Natedev

Natedev

Hi,
    I'm interested in buying this asset but not sure it it would solve my problem. I'm making a 3D strategy game for mobile, spawning lots of units (let's say 100 vs 100) but since the units are 3D animated models with a skinned mesh rendered it consumes 1 draw call each and adding the rest of the processing happening, the game becomes unplayable. I've made optimizations disabling the mesh for a lower poly and static one when camera is far away but once you zoom in it goes back to full lag.

So, reading about the features and the 3Dsprites word that I have never heard of before, and knowing there are more performance tricks and without diving into many details because every project is different, do you think your asset can help me in terms of some performance gain? I mean, comparing a full drawing of 200 models vs your approach using 3dsprites (and more or less maintaining the visual aspect not so touched).

Thanks

11. chanfort

chanfort

Well, 3dSprites could be able to help, because instead of treating each unit as a separate draw call, it uses Shuriken particles. However, I never tested it on mobile devices in terms of comparison performance. The best thing I could try to offer is to compile apk file (if you are using android) for the scene, where you have all these units, and changing distance at which model is displayed as a sprite. When you get larger distances, most of the units will be displayed as 3D models. On the opposite case, when you have small distances, most of your units will be rendered as sprites. Comparing FPS can tell if sprites help here.

12. Natedev

Natedev

Well, I think I'll get the asset to try it out myself. Just one more question, I already have the game mechanics implemented (spawning, pathfinding, detection, attack, etc), so, would it be easy to only use the 3dsprites approach from your asset and the switching from the sprites to the mesh when camera is close or would it require quite some time to "extract" it from the whole package/functionality? I only need how the units are presented/rendered, not how they behave.

Thanks

13. chanfort

chanfort

In that case I would simply use 3dSprites rather that uRTS Toolkit.

14. chanfort

chanfort

So 3dSprites are now updated with the support for baking sprites from Mechanim animations.

JBR-games likes this.
  15. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

I'm just learning unity and how the scripting works.

Things I would like to learn how to script are.
    Upgrades, both just statwise and visual.
    Unlocks, To use B you first have to have A.
    Auras, buffing friendly troops or buildings, debuffing the enemy, healing, damaging.
    Abilities, both automatic(ie used by the unit when available), and activated by player.
    Cooldowns.

I just don't know where to start to learn doing these things, any suggestions?

And Merry Christmas!

16. chanfort

chanfort

If you are just starting I would recommend you no more but to start with the free version of uRTS. If you are only starting to learn scripting check some basic YouTube tutorials or beginner videos in Unity Tutorials section.

17. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Already bought it :) I've been modding for a long time as well as playing around with different game engines, I wanted to work with ue4 but the community was so unhelpful, I even wrote my own tutorial and posted... So i recently switched to unity.

18. chanfort

chanfort

Fear enough :) And you are welcome here :)

19. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

I've also bought some graphical assets. But I need to get the scripting done first. The parts I mentioned earlier before I start adding graphical elements

20. chanfort

chanfort

And for this reason you should better start with uRTS free version as it is very simple and helps to understand the basics of the battle system. Then you are familiar with it, you can start looking into the pro version and start using what you need to build up your game.

21. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Would this asset be suitable for a "mount and blade" or "kenshi" style game? I noticed an RPG camera so this leads me to think there has been some work in this direction. Thanks in advance and happy new year.

22. chanfort

chanfort

Not out of the box. You would need to implement your own RPG UI. At the moment it's only camera switching to RPG mode in order to follow particular unit.

23. kingkcw

kingkcw

uRTS(not Free) is not working well.

1. I run main scene in UnityEditor.
    XR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!
    -> What is this?
    3. "SetDestination" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.
    -> printed many error messages.
    4. First attempt at path /uRTS/Resources/3dSprites/StandaloneOSXUniversal_bnd/Archer/Attack/Archer_Attack.unity3d fails, trying now to download from supporter website
    -> Can't download.

What do i do more?

24. chanfort

chanfort

VR an XP errors are not coming from the uRTS side, so I do not recognise them.

3. Did you tried to exit Unity after importing uRTS and opening again?

4. This should happen if you don't have 3dSprites manually downloaded, so it's not a problem. First time they will download from my website and then they will be visible in game.

JBR-games likes this.
  25. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hi I was wondering if you could give me a little bit of direction on what controls the sprites in 3dSprites .
    I want to give each sprite a location or possibly use navmesh or atleast aspects of it to move them to a particular location.

PSRandomSpawner seems to control actual movement of the Gameobject.
    but what controls which sprite in the sheet is played. proper rotation, and angle via camera..?

Thanks

26. chanfort

chanfort

Yes, it's difference between camera rotation and sprite gameObject rotation. There are quantised vertical and horizontal rotational levels. Their indices are updated through GetHorRotIndex() and GetVerRotIndex() functions in PSpriteLoaderSP.cs.

At the beginning you can just play with Update function in PSRanomSpawner.cs to define your custom movement. If you want to use NavMesh, you can add NavMeshAgent to prefabToSpawn, bake navigation on the terrain and in Update trigger NavMeshAgent.SetDestination().

JBR-games likes this.
  27. JBR-games

JBR-games

28. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, it shouldn't contradict with any implementations in 3dSprites. If you are able to trace when units should be culled, you can simply disable them.

P.S. It could be also a good idea to allow to pass one frame when working with Unity stuff. I noticed, for example, that adding mesh collider, it can be ray-traced at the next update frame. I suspect other stuff in Navigation, SkinnedMeshes, etc. can be affected when you enabling/disabling/adding/removing components.

29. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi, I have a few questions regarding uRTS PvP . Does uRTS already have or will have in the near future release, features built-in like steam integration; select number of troops/units; troop deployment; Distinct/ unique units per nation; and maps selection similar to Total War. Thanks,

30. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

And also, will we have multiple animations per idle/attack and possible water units . Thanks again,

31. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there. So you can try doing PvP as nation vs nation. This would work if you go through Multiplayer, Matchmaker. One player host another joins as client and you can play one vs another. I didn't checked with Steam yet. You can select one type of units by double clicking on particular unit, i.e. if you double click on archer, all player archers will be selected (of course this is prevented not to happen on other nations which player does not control). I would need to look into Total War, I never played it actually :)

You can define as many animations as you want, just make sure you use slightly different name. However, using them in game could be interesting question. It depends in what order do you want to play lets say AttackA, AttackB, AttackC... If just randomly, it's possible to achieve this by modifying code where attack animations are returned, so that it would return each time random one. Water units you can also define similar like I did with birds. It needs a bit playing with code but should not be hard. Simply define unit (i.e. ship) which can move in a plane at water level and prevent moving anywhere where terrain height is greater than water level.

32. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

How to fix the error ' ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: Index ' . This error can be found after several minutes into the game by clicking on console button.

I did follow your video tutorial on how to import SpartanKing into uRTS but the FPS dropped significantly after spawning several hundred units. Can we use 3dSprite to convert any 3D models, with humanoid animations, to several LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, ... then import them into uRTS? Especially 3D models from All Star Character Collection ( https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/15260). Would it be possible if you make a video tutorial on how to do this for the benefit of beginners and non-coders/ modellers of uRTS.

Can you expose maximum number of building, and units per nation in the option menu so player can setup in his or her game? At this moment, as nations spawn their buildings and units, the FPS gradually drops to the point where it is no longer playable.

Can we able to set formations for different groups of units? say, horsemen in triangular formation, archers in circular formation and swordmen in rectangular formation? and size of the formations can be adjusted.

I tried to fly-through in game but can never came back to the origin. Can we press a key, say 'H', to get back to the castle?

Hopefully, these features will be corrected or be added to the system in the near future as this system is one of the best system out their on the Asset Store.

Thank you for your great support,

33. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there, thanks for interesting questions. Here might be some answers.

So ArgumentOutOfRangeException is happening when array or list index is out of bounds. Do you know when does it happen? Is it happening after some time when running the game?

3dSprites won't bake LODs, only sprites. In order to get LODs, you would need to generate them. I used Blender to generate LODs when I exported my characters into FBX. You can try importing these FBX files and use decimate modifier in Blender and then export each LOD at different level of decimation. Alternatively you can try Unity's LOD simplifier with AutoLOD.

At the moment town building AI works in a bit different way. At the beginning it builds buildings fast and spawns units slower. Later, when town radius increases the building rate or new building is slowing down. But from the remaining resources it speeds up spawning new units. At some point spawning rates should balance against building rate and town growth should nearly stop. I am looking forward how to better expose this rates balancing model. Now as Unity 2018.2 is out, I think I may be able to use MinMaxCurves to better expose custom AI behaviour and its parameters. It's a bit weird that you are getting lower FPS when number of buildings is large. I was doing some tests and was able to play with thousands of farms spawned on the terrain. Can you check the total number of buildings and units in the game? I suspect there might be just number of units increasing to several thousands.

That might be possible to do with formations. It probably would be more work on UI side how to set buttons and menus to manage formations. But from code side making a wrapper and passing formation texture should work. Another question is how to deal with cases when player selects mixed units?

At the moment there is CameraTeloport.cs script which allows to quickly move camera between positions. If you add this script to one of the gameObjects you can set H key to teleport from wherever you are in the game (you also need to set a position where to teleport).

Looking for more interesting questions and discussions :)

34. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

ArgumentOutOfRangeException error happens after several minutes into the game, as the game progresses, more of this error will be generated. The list of errors can be found in console window.

The following images will demonstrate some error that I during gameplay: rRTS_screenshot.png uRTS2.png Picture 1 shows selected units (1002) is larger than the total population (964). In this game, I found about 20 Heroes, in the upper left corner, standing in a rectangular formation. The FPS was hovering around 15fps at player's total population of 800 and up.

Picture 2 shows FPS started to get too low as the total population increases. This is a loaded game from previously saved game. Total resources and nations' scores stay intact, however, Number of buildings, Lost building, Number of units, Lost units are lost.

About formations when multiple-mixed units selected, we can have new formations such as: ranged units in front line, followed by melee units in middle line, then cavalry at the last line. Or melee units in front, followed by ranged units, then cavalry.

Please keep improving this system. It is a great system.

35. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there, these looks very interesting indeed. To investigate further the ArgumentOutOfRangeException I need:
    1. Which version of Unity are you using?
    2. Which version of uRTS are you using?
    3. Can you try running it in Editor and when error happens double click on it to see at which line in code it occurs?

With these it should be easy to fix it.

For other issues:

Do these 20 heroes appear at the beginning of the game or when you loading from saved game, or when you playing for a longer time?

The save/load system is still a bit glitchy. I am looking into it how to improve.

Hmm, I guess the best way would be some sort of formations management UI, which would allow player to chose which units goes into the front, which ones into a middle and which into the back of the formation. But if the formation is standing still, how it would be possible to decide where is front and where is back before player starts moving?

36. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

Here is the screen capture of the error.
    uRTS-error.png
    I am using Unity 2018.1.6f1 personal edition, and I am using the latest version of uRTS. The ArgumentOutOfRange Exception error would occur within several minutes into the game, for the image above, the error occurs within 6 minutes into the game. When this error occurs, the game pauses then I can only do is to restart the game. However, If I built the game, the error still occur but the game keeps playing until I quit it.

About the 20 Heroes, I believed I started with only one Hero, I moved him very far from the castle just to save him from being killed in a battle, as the same game progress for a long time, Heroes just spawned one- by -one from the original one.

One more thing about the SpartanKing, only the player can spawn him. I have not seen any SpartanKing being spawned by any AI nations yet. When the player is unable to produce him to to lack of resources, , SpartanKing image/icon, will change to swordmen icon.

Please implement an arrow indicating the direction of the formation whenever you have a change. So when the player clicks on an empty area on the map, all selected units will form a formation there based on direction of the arrow.

Thank you for your great support,

37. chanfort

chanfort

Hey, just posted a PM with some code corrections.

38. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Thank you Chanfort,

I received your code and made a the change in the NationAI.cs file. So far so good. Thanks,

39. chanfort

chanfort

That's great. Are you still getting the further issues after this, i.e. with spawned heroes, low framerates and incorrect population counts?

40. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Thanks, I started a new empty project, import the latest uRTS and there is no errors, spawned heroes found both in the editor or after build so far. I have found a little drop in FPS in the game but I am still playing the game and the FPS is still at ~35. However, during importing, I got some warning messages. Please see the image below to see if you can give me some hints or directions
    , Thanks,

uRTS-error2.png

About the SpartanKing, I followed your video tutorial on Character setup,
    , and imported it and played in 'main' scene or 'gameobject11'.

Can you help us how to setup new units so AI nations can spawn these new units too. If possible, could you please show us a workflow on how to import/ integrate characters from All Star Character Collection ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/all-star-character-collection-43181 ) as this collection contains lot of medieval characters suitable for uRTS.

Thanks a lot,

41. chanfort

chanfort

Hi here, these warnings are just from importing fbx from scratch. It sometimes happens when finishing model in Blender and importing to Unity. But I didn't noticed any effects from them. It might be possible to get rid of them if I would switch from fbx into Unity's build-in meshes.

For SpartanKing these tutorials only show how you can register the new unit into the system and allow player to spawn it. Nations would also be allowed to spawn it. At the moment you can adjust this inside NationAI.cs script that SpartanKing units would be also used. If you go in line 683 you can find this part of code

Code (CSharp):
    2. if(barracks.Count > 0){
    3.   for(int k=0; k<5; k++){
    4.     posibleTypes.Add(11);
    5.     posibleTypes.Add(12);
    6.     if(rtsm.unitTypeLocking[nation][13] == 1){
    7.         posibleTypes.Add(13);
    8.      }
    9.      if(rtsm.unitTypeLocking[nation][14] == 1){
    10.         posibleTypes.Add(14);
    11.      }
    12.     }
    13.  }
    Units 11, 12, 13 and 14 are registered as archer, swordsman, arsonist and knight respectively. Here you can put the id at which you have your SpartanKing registered as uRTS prefab. If you have tech tree unlocking conditions (like the ones for arsonist and knight), you may want to add these ones here as well.

Hmm, are characters in All Star Character Collection very different from spider and SpartanKing models? At the moment I don't have that package, but I may take a look at some point :)

42. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

So I'm doing what you suggested taking a look at the free toolkit.... and I do understand the code for attacking... i just dont understand the idea behind it

// attacker starts attacking their target
    else{
    noAttackers = noAttackers + 1;

if(attPars.changeMaterial){
    att.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.color = Color.red;
    }
    tempRand = Random.value;

tempStrength = attPars.strength;
    tempDefence = attPars.defence;

// if attack passes target through target defence, cause damage to target

if(tempRand > (tempStrength/(tempStrength+tempDefence))){
    targPars.health = targPars.health - 2.0f*tempStrength*Random.value;
    }

}

This might just be me but why is the code testing the attackers strength against its own defence, shouldnt it be testing against the defenders defence?

And what is "2.0f" ? in the damage causing part?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  43. chanfort

chanfort

So these are mostly bugs like you noticed. The code should be checking against target defence. The 2.0 is just a coefficient, you can put any number you like here and damage will scale through all units and unit types accordingly.

44. Ragnorum

Ragnorum

Thank you, and what is the f for in "2.0f" ?
    Is that a variable? Where is it defined?
    How does that interact with the 2.0?
    2.0 * f ?

Some other questions.
    The terrain, is that randomly generated each time you launch?

45. chanfort

chanfort

So the "f" is just a notation when you assign a value to float. I.e. you can write:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float a = 2.0f;
    But you can't write:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float a = 2.0;
    as it will try to assign as double.

The terrain is seed-based randomly generated. It means that the content on the terrain is randomly generated but each time you start the game or editor, the terrain content will be generated in the same way. This means that trees, lakes, cliffs and other things will always appear in the same locations each time you generate the terrain. It also applies to terrain tiles, i.e. if in game you move far away from you initial location and then come back, you will find terrain, trees, etc. the same as they were in the first instance.

46. elpinguinofrio

elpinguinofrio

Very cool! It's actually very similar from Horde game from my childhood, blast from the past. Are you connected with them in any way? I know one Russian guy who still working on it, apparently devs had opened source code to him. I'm literally playing right now in Horde: North wind on Boxer(Dosbox) on macbook. So cool to see your version in 3d. Have you thought to import original maps?

47. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

Would take a look at these errors and give me a hint on how to fix them please. I recently ran into these errors while playing in the editor.
    RenderMesh on lines: 763, 475, 750
    RenderMeshAnimations: 63
    RenderMeshLODs: 76
    RenderMeshModels: 115, 92

Please take a look at the image below.

Thanks,
    uRTS-error4.png

How are the strategic formations, multiple animations improvement going?

48. chanfort

chanfort

Nice! Horde is also one of my favourite games. I like it as it has very simple tech tree, realistic look (as for 90s) and also very great gameplay. At the moment I am not planning to use Horde maps, as they are baked. I usually like infinite world, which is generated procedurally on runtime.

49. chanfort

chanfort

Hi there, so try replacing line 761 in RenderMesh.cs from this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(newLODindex > -1){
    to this

Code (CSharp):
    1. if((newLODindex > -1) && (newLODindex < rmlds.renderAnimations.Count)){
    and try running again.

At the moment I was working on save and load system in order to save as much player progress as possible. So now in the new version it is saving all scores, time of day and some RTS camera controls. I am still working to allow saving remaining RTS camera controls, RPG camera controls, graphics settings, grouped units, journeys progress, etc. After that I will probably try making a start menu as well. And at some point I want to upgrade it to Unity 2018.2. So all these will probably take a month or two. Formations are in mind, but I am still thinking how to better define them that it would be easy to use. At some point I may also put key shourtcuts for quick selection, movement and other things.

Did you tried importing these characters yourself and see what happens?

50. Phdnewbie

Phdnewbie

Hi Chanfort,

I tried to change the code above but the error change to line 764 from line 763 and the rest of errors remain the same. I do have inconsistent end of line warning/error from visual C# too and I am a no coder.

I would love to see the new uRTS pro or upgraded version contains the above upgrades especially a Menu system for:

1) uRTS battle simulator system:
    PvNPC,
    PvP,
    Teams Vs teams, etc.

For this battle simulator, I think we already had it before where cube and triangle boxes spawned soldiers then soldiers found their targets, etc., in cube and triangle forms. We can have this system looks similar to the one in the below image would be greatly appreciated.

Menu2.png

Unit Category = Unit ID, Unit Type
    Team = Nation
    Team1 = Player Nation
    Team2 = NPC Nation
    Team3 = Wizzard Nation
    etc,..
    Amount = No. of troops
    Range Shape = Formation shape
    Rectangular shape with arrows on map = cubes and triangle boxes and drag and drop enabled.

2) Tradion uRTS system.
    Where all players / NPC starts with a Hero and a RTS system like the one we are having.

3) Formations: Shapes (rectangle, crescent, etc,..), Sizes (10x100, 500x100 for rectangle shape, etc) ,and Stance (Hold, Defense, Attack, etc).

4) Movements and Animations: Running or attacking quickly by double-clicking target, Hiding, ambushing, etc.
    I see some troops are walking above ground, on ground or deep in-ground sometimes in-game now. If these can be improved or fixed in the near future that would be great.

I am still to learning how to import characters from asset store to uRTS.

Thanks for your great support,