Search Unity

URP With VFXGraph

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Blarp, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Blarp

Blarp

Any info regarding using VFXGraph in URP?

The LWRP examples don't convert and I'm not seeing any VFX scripts in the URP package.

Cronogecko likes this.
  2. Cronogecko

Cronogecko

Bumping.

As I understand it, 2019.3 should add VFXGraph compatibility with LWRP/URP where compute shaders are available, but it would be good to see it confirmed.

That said, maybe I can help with your example conversion? What do you mean LWRP examples don't convert? Which ones? You can create a LWRP project and add the VFXGraph package; a lot won't work, but tweaking here and there might get you where you need.

Blarp likes this.
  3. Blarp

Blarp

URP instead of LWRP, also I run on mobile.

I take a default VFX proj and use URP. All the VFX related stuff will error.

I just snag whatever comes up for VFXGraph on github/google. Tried like 6 diff projs.

Cronogecko likes this.
  4. Cronogecko

Cronogecko

I see. This is going to sound like little-to-no help at all, but as someone who is not an expert and got some VFXGraph Samples working on mobile, I recommend the following (basically doing things the other way around from what you are doing right now):
    1. Create LWRP project.
    2. Add VFXGraph Preview Package to your new LWRP project.
    3. Import files/folders for whichever sample you want into the project (Remember to trim the conflicting files! Git repos and project folders in general have all of Unity's META files and standard assets there for the purpose of that project's functionality; if you don't delete before dragging into your own project in Unity, stuff will be duplicated and you'll face a number of issues)
    4. When you open the sample's scene, make sure to select the VFXGraph asset from the scene hierarchy, open it in VFXGraph, compile it, save it.
    5. Go back to Unity; let it re-sync your assets (with the newly compiled+saved VFXGraph), then save it, then run it. Should work.
    6. AFTER all this in-editor, I'd finally change player settings to your desired mobile platform and build it (I develop for iOS and I know that save for some potential additional METAL settings, you should be good to go)
    I suggest starting with Unity's own "Unity Logo" sample; that one should run without much trouble. If you need encouragement; re-known Unity wizard Keijiro was the first to get that very sample running on his iPhone:
    https://twitter.com/_kzr/status/1111987916908036096?lang=en

Good luck, mate. Remember, stuff can get F***y when treading on the cutting-edge with Packages/Features. Poking and prodding sometimes gets you up and running. Other times it doesn't.

Blarp likes this.
  5. Cronogecko

Cronogecko

@Blarp Hey man, not sure if you saw, but apparently URP is officially production-ready starting today (2019.2.6f1 and Unity Hub 2.1.2), and it officially rolls in VFXGraph. I hope you can get up and running now. :)

6. elbows

elbows

I think you are confused. There was a blog post today about URP, thats all. URP is for 2019.3, so nothing to do with 2019.2.6f1. And URP is a renamed LWRP, and LWRP has been considered production ready for ages.

7. Cronogecko

Cronogecko

You're 100% correct! Sorry @Blarp, looks like you're still in a holding-pattern until November... But the good news is, this is a confirmation of sorts of what we were discussing in this thread.

I jumped the gun with yesterday's blog post and update being related, but VFX-G is confirmed for URP, and URP is dropping with 2019.3. Hopefully it will drop with all the VFX-G functionality you need for what you have in mind.

Blarp likes this.
  8. Blarp

Blarp

fleity and TheVirtualMunk like this.