Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

URP -> Shadows look horrible

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by CortiWins, Jan 23, 2021.

1. CortiWins

CortiWins

I updated from legacy to URP.

Default Settings:
    upload_2021-1-23_11-59-43.png

Maxed out settings:
    upload_2021-1-23_12-0-8.png

It looks bad. I set all stuff to max, i followed youtube-"fixes" for bad shadows, it still looks really bad.
    Is this just what URP is or can it do better?

2. CortiWins

CortiWins

Update: Created a new URP Projekt, just to see what it looks like on "high quality"
    upload_2021-1-23_12-20-13.png
    Oh damn it.

3. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Change Normal Bias in Shadow Settings in RenderPipeline asset to 0. That should fix it.

mattkudo likes this.
  4. CortiWins

CortiWins

Thanks! I tried, but it doesnt.

5. bluescrn

bluescrn

If you've got soft shadows enabled, you should get better results than that. But they need enabling both on the light source and on the URP pipeline asset:

Have you just missed this checkbox?:

upload_2021-1-23_13-28-55.png

(AFAIK mobile platforms use simpler/cheaper shadow filtering though. Not sure if this is visible in the editor when in iOS/Android mode, or just on device)

mattkudo and CortiWins like this.
  6. CortiWins

CortiWins

Hey, i tried. It gets the same blocky line with softened edges. It still looks really bad.

Even a standard new URP project looks bad.

TheFloatingSheep likes this.
  7. bluescrn

bluescrn

The default construction site scene you get when you create a new URP project should have soft shadows enabled and looking pretty good. From there you can turn the shadow resolution up another notch and fiddle with the cascade distances+biases

8. CortiWins

CortiWins

I don't know if the construction scene used baked lighting, i just know that one cube doing a shadow on a different cube looks pretty bad on the best settings possible.

Not only bad, but bugged, broken. I mean look at the screenshots. Thats not 2020 "low quality", that would have been considered ugly in 2005.

9. Sky77

Sky77

There's definitely something wrong in your URP setup. To me it looks like you have a low shadow map resolution.
    Also, make sure you're modifying the settings on the right URP Assets.

10. LordCafe

LordCafe

It's 2022 and i still have the same problem... does someone know how to fix? have already max settings on the engine... cranked up almost every single possible shadow quality settings and looks preety bad.

11. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

BIRP + Next-Gen Soft-Shadows..it's a few years old and still doing a better job... Frankly I don't think URP is going to get better at anything anytime soon.

12. impheris

impheris

1 - First you need to understand that URP is for low/mid end hardware. Mostly phones and handhelds like switch or low poly games.

2 - Realtime shadows are very demanding (something that almost nobody knows) so, for low/mid hardware is not useful to have pixel perfect realtime shadows

3 - ...But you can achieve great shadows even for urp, do not forget to check the "shadow resolution" options in your pipeline asset > rendering

4 - do you really need 4096+ resolution for realtime shadows for your objects in a URP project? Really?

5 - Are you sure you can not use baked lightmaps?

6 - If you need more than that (which i really doubt) you can work with a HDRP project but you will need to work really hard on performance.

Check this video :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    mattkudo likes this.
  13. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The problem isn't the resolution, it's the prehistoric shadow filtering.

TBH, the shadows in built-in are also ugly, but at least there are 3rd party assets for solving that.

tryano1 likes this.
  14. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

This under 2-minute video shows how to solve lots of this I am not saying they will be gorgeous but at least smooth without light shining through. It is not my video. Also, check the top comment about setting normal bias slightly above 0 maybe 0.1

15. alfredbaudisch

alfredbaudisch

This video is the only thing that helps fixing the shadows! Thanks!

16. Amaligom78

Amaligom78

So I adjusted the Cascade Value and got sharper shadows. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

17. SympaK

SympaK

The settings fix look from 3 years ago! Something more actual?

18. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

well a year later and URP is still barely anything good about it

19. CortiWins

CortiWins

It's not like we are expecting Unreal Engine 5 level of graphics for URP.

Recently in research about UI elements, i came across screenshots from UT2003 which is UnrealEngine 2.
    And to be honest, it's shadows looks fine. Not amazing by todays standard, not impressive by any means, but not ugly.
    I would take 2003 quality shadows.

20. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Unity really needs to add a screen space blur pass to it's shadows. O3DE and Godot do this to fantastic effect.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  21. impheris

impheris

angular diameter?

22. MP-ul

MP-ul

The problem you are facing is regarding the shadow draw distance(the smaller the draw distance/max distance the better the shadows are), Unity atm can't handle shadows at high distances. Many games that use unity made their own solution for this type of need.
    https://learning.unity3d.jp/7260/

Also note that if you target mobile platfroms the shadows will look that ugly, idk why but they are ugly when you are going for mobile.

23. SympaK

SympaK

Looks great.

24. MP-ul

MP-ul

SympaK likes this.
  25. SympaK

SympaK

26. MP-ul

MP-ul

This is how the shadows are supposed to look with this settings on windows platfrom.
    upload_2023-12-28_14-30-17.png

27. MP-ul

MP-ul

I will finnish my replacement for armedunity and unity froums by the time they start to think about adding this type of features to urp =))

SympaK likes this.
  28. SympaK

SympaK

I agree: they are still stopped at understanding the on-exit standby.

29. calpolican

calpolican

Hey, you don't need any asset. This is URP. Consider that the viewport doesn't have AA. It really depends on how you want to cascade the shadows, and some perspectives like top view are more difficult to cascade properly. Remember that URP is built to be performant rather than to look perfect. Also, having graphics for mobile that look like HDRP is not an easy task for any engine. I don't think this is an issue at all. The Ambient Occlusion could be better, and I would love to have Screen Space reflections. But the shadows don't even have a softening in this image and they still look pretty decent. Also, shadows are some of the most expensive things out there.
    shadows.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    tmonestudio and SympaK like this.
  30. SympaK

SympaK

What settings did you applied?

31. calpolican

calpolican

Here is the set up for the result on the image.
    What you should focus is in the shadows cascades.
    Usually you're not going to need this much detail. To give an example, I've recently seen that an Unreal Engine's game of 2023, Hogwarts Legacy, with good quality settings, has shadows that are way less defined than this. This is because when you use soft shadows (wich are more common) you can give away with less detail.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you're not working with real life units (say, a person beign roughly around ~1,80 meters), the settings that you see here (or in a tutorial) will change.
    URP shadows cascades.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    SympaK likes this.
  32. SympaK

SympaK

great